Lockdown fitness regime

Ray B

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Ray B
Hi everyone,
I had a vascular by-pass op in March and second op in early April. As a result I was limited with my mobility etc and wondered how to keep some level of fitness.
I decided that I would try and complete a routine of 100 push-ups per day. I did 25 reps 4 times per day. I am delighted to say after 100 successive days I have completed 10,000 push-ups.
Having had Type 1 for 74 years I am really chuffed.
Question now is what challenge to tackle next?
Cheers
Ray B

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ray B
Hi everyone,
I had a vascular by-pass op in March and second op in early April. As a result I was limited with my mobility etc and wondered how to keep some level of fitness.
I decided that I would try and complete a routine of 100 push-ups per day. I did 25 reps 4 times per day. I am delighted to say after 100 successive days I have completed 10,000 push-ups.
Cheers
Ray B

Wow Ray, very well done, I hope the Queen will be knighting you next!!!! This is an expensive option I know but is it possible for you to get a treadmill?, maybe a cheaper second hand one. I have one in the garage and although I run outside as well it is ideal for a gentle walk, or a few steps up an incline or whatever you are able to do, come rain or shine. It's a good motivator as well being in the garage! An exercise bike works just as well of course. x

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Ray B - Have your team given you the go-ahead after your re-plumbing job

A big well done, from me. That's a lot of push-ups. Are you doing anything to work on your lower body?

Ray B

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@Ray B - Have your team given you the go-ahead after your re-plumbing job

A big well done, from me. That's a lot of push-ups. Are you doing anything to work on your lower body?

Hi Guys
Part of my problem is that I have had to rest legs for such a long time. I still have slight open wound on left ankle and walking is still a problem.
However, I am a pilates instructor during and have some leg and abdominal exercises I could do. I am going to go on my bike again ankle permitting. Treadmill is a no-go at moment.
I will let you know how next few weeks go.
Thanks for your lovely support it means a great deal and portraying long time diabetes positively.
Cheers
Ray B

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Ray B
Hi everyone,
Cheers
Ray B
That’s amazing! I’m not even going to post how many half pushups I can do now..

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Ray B
Hi everyone,
Cheers
Ray B
Great result. How about after each set working your way up to achieving 25 pushups with 25 strict form deep pulse squats. So maybe 5 or 10 to start with. So eventually 100 push-ups as you do with 100 pulse squats.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Guys
Part of my problem is that I have had to rest legs for such a long time. I still have slight open wound on left ankle and walking is still a problem.
However, I am a pilates instructor during and have some leg and abdominal exercises I could do. I am going to go on my bike again ankle permitting. Treadmill is a no-go at moment.
Thanks for your lovely support it means a great deal and portraying long time diabetes positively.
Cheers
Ray B

I wondered if that's where the re-plumbing job had been. Whilst frustrating at the moment, I'm sure longer term it'll have been very worthwhile going through it all.

Ray, I don't have an exercise bike, but I do use my bike on a static trainer in the garden, if I don't particularly want to peddle round the lanes, or if it's raining. I can have it under cover.

If I'm doing because I think I should (rather than for enjoyment), I have a place I can prop up my ipad, and watch TV, or whatever, whilst peddling. It's amazing how the time passes.

That sort of arrangement could be useful for you, in that you can't get stranded further from home than is comfortable for you to get home.

Mine is a bit like this: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/672015896728793/ , with a gizmo up from to steady the front wheel too.

Ray B

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks again for the helpful tips. Cycling was always a passion of mine and I hope to get out again at some point. In the meantime I have started a form of seated rowing to work abs and legs, First 100 were tough. Still doing a few pushups as well.
Sitting in garden at moment getting over a high-op.
Cheers
Ray B

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you tried using any of the cycling apps?
My partner is a Zwift fan. All you need is a couple of sensors and it looks far more fun than just pedalling ... even if you are watching a video. You can ride in races or "social rides" or they have some workouts.

Thanks for the suggestion. I haven't looked into any cycling apps. To be honest, I'm usually quite happy just pedalling away to TV drivel, but doing a virtual measured route could be fun.

I'll have a look. Thanks again.

Reactions: In Response

Ray B

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone, just thought I would update you about current fitness routine. I am doing seated rowing exercises, 100per day and still doing 50 push-ups a day. Rowing is working my leg muscles and abdominals and I am keeping upper body fit with pushups. Now up to 1000 rows and 500 more pushups.
Thanks once again
Cheers
Ray B

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Guys
Cheers
Ray B
Hi Ray, the press ups are im Press Up ive!
How about a squat challenge (google Sally Squat Challenge) as a good way to build up endurance in your legs?
For balance as you know from Pilates, I would suggest swan dive, swimming or dart as well as those other core exercises.
I am a Pilates instructor and a PT by the way and have a few clients who are doing lockdown fitness right now so you are not alone.

Ray B

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Ray, the press ups are im Press Up ive!
How about a squat challenge (google Sally Squat Challenge) as a good way to build up endurance in your legs?
For balance as you know from Pilates, I would suggest swan dive, swimming or dart as well as those other core exercises.
I am a Pilates instructor and a PT by the way and have a few clients who are doing lockdown fitness right now so you are not alone.

Yes I agree that squats would be a perfect option and I tried for a while but I am struggling with my ankles at moment especially after the by pass operation ‘cos I still have a wound site below my left ankle which.
I am enjoying the seated balanced rowing exercises I am doing alongside more pushups. My quads and abs are benefiting which is what I need.
P.S. I am still doing swimming prep, breaststroke prep and swan dive a few times but not yet up to teaching standards.
Cheers
Ray B