Regular moderate exercise log

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
wow that's impressive! I've always liked to walk but do not like high intensity anything :) I've got a twitchy plantar fasciitis aggravated by carrying anything! I can do 3miles (very easy terrain) no worries but not sure where i should go from here, any suggestions?
Lots of sympathy as I suffered from pf for years and understand HOW frustrating it is. I'm not sure how or why it went away in the end. If it ever starts to come back, I'll be consulting the Youtube physios Bob&Brad. I find them very helpful with other problems, as well as being funny and unassuming. They have done a whole series on pf:
Highly recommended.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Huh! They don't demonstrate the only two things I was taught-- the runner-type standing calf stretch, and the rolling your foot over a soup can or water bottle, preferably frozen. If you have a "knobbly" or "spikey" massage roller, that will give your hands a rest from the massage. These guys are very personable for sure!

Yesterday, 2.71 mile walk, not fast by most standards but I am not a fast walker, so it was a step up from a stroll. It stays humid here all night, and you can work up a sweat just sitting on the porch swatting mosquitoes if you're not careful!

Last edited:

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Yesterday 45 minute very challenging barre class. Being 68, I am always adapting the movements. Having a 10-week-old hernia repair, I am not going 100% on the abs work yet, partly because my lower abs have morphed into a large bowl of semi-set jello. As a life-long professional flutist, I have shoulder and wrist problems. Adapt! Adapt! "Optionize" like crazy! I love these classes. They wring me out.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Today another barre class Survived nicely.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@zauberflote going great guns on the barre. Work has scuppered me so far this week but about to walk most of the way to the office - yes a rare visit in to the office - as it looks like the forecast rain/storms will hold off long enough for me to go the scenic way along the canal. So it’ll be 5 miles or so.

Reactions: zauberflote

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
the only two things I was taught-- the runner-type standing calf stretch, and the rolling your foot over a soup can or water bottle, preferably frozen.
But did these tactics work? They didn't help my pf. I'm not sure what did, apart from the passage of time. When I do Bob & Brad's exercises for my bad lower back, it is transformed for the better. When I neglect to do them my back deteriorates fast. I would therefore consult B&B first if, heaven forbid, I developed pf again. However, imo no-one gets everything right, (just as even Hitler didn't get EVERYTHING wrong, so I might be disappointed. It is fashionable nowadays to recommend strengthening as well as stretching exercises and they have certainly helped me. I just wish I could get myself to do them more regularly!

Reactions: DJC3

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Rain did indeed hold off for a very enjoyable walk along the Regent’s Canal. Just as well I didn’t take my camera or I’d never have made it to the office. Weather permitting I’ll go back tomorrow for more of a saunter along the route.

B3E390CE-9133-485E-8ADA-1DFE5808395C.jpeg

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
But did these tactics work? They didn't help my pf. I'm not sure what did, apart from the passage of time. When I do Bob & Brad's exercises for my bad lower back, it is transformed for the better. When I neglect to do them my back deteriorates fast. I would therefore consult B&B first if, heaven forbid, I developed pf again. However, imo no-one gets everything right, (just as even Hitler didn't get EVERYTHING wrong, so I might be disappointed. It is fashionable nowadays to recommend strengthening as well as stretching exercises and they have certainly helped me. I just wish I could get myself to do them more regularly!

Alexandra, for me the stretches were the *only* thing that helped my PF, go figure! Granted, it wasn't a "scream on getting out of bed" case, but standing up after a concert to take bows was...educational. I am definitely going to look up B&B's low back exercises-- my right S-I joint has been giving me what for for a good 20 years now, and having both hips replaced may have slowed any OA that may be there, but the pain is still there. Thank you for posting that video!

I just remembered another PF exercise; I think my brother may have told me-- scrunching up a small towel with your toes. That's your strengthening! I couldn't do it-- got cramps in my arch!!

And..... third barre class in a row this noontime. Jello belly but recovery from abdominal surgery takes more time when you're 68 than when I was 38!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just remembered another PF exercise; I think my brother may have told me-- scrunching up a small towel with your toes
Another strengthening pf exercise is to walk a short distance on one's toes. But maybe that will also cause discomfort for you. One piece of advice B&B repeat over and over is, if their recommended exercise hurts, DON'T DO IT! Good luck finding some helpful back exercises. The barre ones sound great - lots of stretching and strengthening in one, I imagine.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Another strengthening pf exercise is to walk a short distance on one's toes. But maybe that will also cause discomfort for you. One piece of advice B&B repeat over and over is, if their recommended exercise hurts, DON'T DO IT! Good luck finding some helpful back exercises. The barre ones sound great - lots of stretching and strengthening in one, I imagine.

I am extremely fortunate in that my PF is 20+ years in my past. It only came on the one time, and bothered me for maybe a year. I quit jogging about 15 years ago in my early 50's, and since that had been the cause, I'm hoping I won't have to deal with it again. Not to worry.... plenty of other things come along, don't they!

B&B's "if it hurts, don't do it!" philosophy will be admired in my joint replacement forum's community-- I will have to post them there!
Barre is great for strengthening me. I was born tight and inflexible, and the older I get, the more time I need in a stretch So the stretches are great for ordinary and younger folks, but I have to stretch again after class

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another day, another walk. Speedy 6.8 miles to get to a park where I met 3 friends for an amble/chat. Then train most of the way home.

665843A9-AF87-4667-982A-32039F6C30F1.jpeg

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Let me guess! Walk started in the middle of the top "line" of the "rectangle", the amble is the "toe of the boot", and you got on the train at the tip of the "N" in Beckenham? Sounds like a happy-making day.
I, on the other hand, did not go for a walk yesterday when I should have. It cleared off, cooled down, and by the time that happened and Mr ZF took off on his walk, I realized I'd missed my window of happiness.
This morning it's cool! and SUNNY!!! Harbinger of late September. Fall is my favorite season here. No humidity, fewer bugs, and ordinarily the State Fair.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJC3 and LaoDan

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@zauberflote
Do you have to have a barre at home to do your classes?
And does she charge?. They sound very interesting

It's a pandemic version of a regular class. So no, you need no props, but you can use soup cans for weights, a chair for a barre, and a rolled-up towel for various things. Yes, the special internet live stream pricing went away as soon as the ballet school where she teaches opened for Summer Intensive school. So there is a $22 single class fee, and various packages. I use the one that gets class price down to $10-- it's an all-access monthly pass for $160. On this pass You may take as many adult ballet, tap, modern, movement, and barre classes as you like, in studio when offered, and/or streaming when offered. So I get 4 barre classes/week which is about my limit. None of the ballet classes are livestreamed, because that would be pointless after the barre section was over!

How to take: acquire the MindBody app. Search for Richmond Ballet, Richmond Virginia (US). View the schedule. Purchase classes! Now I am not sure what MindBody does about foreign currencies....

A word about the class-- it is NOT a clique of ponytailed skinny 20-somethings. It is real people, mostly women, but most of us are confirmed "barre rats" and do wear ponytails . The classes are very impossible to keep up with if you've never done organized movement before, and even if you have decades of ballet classes under your belt the first dozen classes are impossible to follow. But nobody cares because it is all so much painful fun! The instructor, Lauren Fagone, is a former principal dancer at Richmond Ballet, she knows her stuff, is fiendishly inventive, and never stops talking you through what you're supposed to be thinking of in addition to what you thought you were supposed to be doing

Have I sold you yet? Hope so!

Reactions: DJC3 and MrsA2

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
It's a pandemic version of a regular class. So no, you need no props, but you can use soup cans for weights, a chair for a barre, and a rolled-up towel for various things. Yes, the special internet live stream pricing went away as soon as the ballet school where she teaches opened for Summer Intensive school. So there is a $22 single class fee, and various packages. I use the one that gets class price down to $10-- it's an all-access monthly pass for $160. On this pass You may take as many adult ballet, tap, modern, movement, and barre classes as you like, in studio when offered, and/or streaming when offered. So I get 4 barre classes/week which is about my limit. None of the ballet classes are livestreamed, because that would be pointless after the barre section was over!

How to take: acquire the MindBody app. Search for Richmond Ballet, Richmond Virginia (US). View the schedule. Purchase classes! Now I am not sure what MindBody does about foreign currencies....Then you will need Zoom to stream the class, which you probably already have.

A word about the class-- it is NOT a clique of ponytailed skinny 20-somethings. It is real people, mostly women, but most of us are confirmed "barre rats" and do wear ponytails . The classes are very impossible to keep up with if you've never done organized movement before, and even if you have decades of ballet classes under your belt the first dozen classes are impossible to follow. But nobody cares because it is all so much painful fun! The instructor, Lauren Fagone, is a former principal dancer at Richmond Ballet, she knows her stuff, is fiendishly inventive, and never stops talking you through what you're supposed to be thinking of in addition to what you thought you were supposed to be doing

Have I sold you yet? Hope so!

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Another barre class today, "Core&More". IOW, you shouldn't plan on watching comedy tomorrow because laughing may really hurt!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Let me guess! Walk started in the middle of the top "line" of the "rectangle", the amble is the "toe of the boot", and you got on the train at the tip of the "N" in Beckenham? Sounds like a happy-making day.

Just about! There’s a small walk between the 2 trains - the tiny L-shaped squiggly bit between the 2 straight lines. Lots to follow as today is my last day of work until 1st September. Yay!

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Just about! There’s a small walk between the 2 trains - the tiny L-shaped squiggly bit between the 2 straight lines. Lots to follow as today is my last day of work until 1st September. Yay!

Wonderful wonderful vacation! Hope your weather rewards you. We did not take either of our usual trips this summer and I am miserable for Mr ZF, who works 7 days a week