WhitbyJet

Hahaha Claire, I know we had this last night, so simple and quick to make but oh ever so tasty.
I leave pork or lambs liver to soak in milk overnight, it makes the liver more tender and gives a smoother flavour.

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
Love your recipes, great for the change of wweather.

On the pork liver one though, I got a bit confused after simmer for 20 mins.... what should I be doing, frying the mushrooms in spices? or am I totally dense.

~h onions and the remaining the mushrooms to fry; can spice fry with salt, Paradeismark and paprika powder~

Sorry

Jane

WhitbyJet

DOH - sorry Serena, this is what happens when I am rushing, translated this recipe from a Swiss low carb friend.
I have edited, its such a lovely dish, hope my earlier mistake hasnt put you off trying it out for yourself.
Once again 'SORRY', I would have got the cane for that some years ago :oops:

Reactions: saky

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Re: Mushroom Pork Liver

WhitbyJet said:
ingredients:
700 g pork liver
300 g mushrooms, sliced
2 green peppers, sliced
100 g tomatoes, chopped
200 g onions, finely chopped
80 g oil/butter
few dashes Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon tomato puree
Salt, pepper freshly ground, a good pinch of marjoram, stock cube, chopped parsley to garnish
150ml water

Heat oil/butter, fry the liver for a few minutes, remove from the pan.
Now add the onions to the pan and fry for a few minutes till golden, add sliced peppers, mushrooms and fry for a couple of minutes.
Now add all the rest of the ingredients and the liver to the pan and simmer for about 20 minutes.
Add a good splash of double cream to thicken the sauce, adjust seasoning if necessary.
Sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley to garnish.

Serve with buttery mashed swede.
Hi, Am going to try this but use chicken fillets or lambs liver chopped up .
Its my type of thing and includes some of my fave ingredients too [will just leave the onions out - they give me jip!]
Should be a doddle for me to tackle and make.
Thanks WhitbeyJet for ANOTHER fab recipe !
Anymore like this short and sweet , quick easy ones to prep and make?
Anna.x :D

Reactions: 2 people

notafanofsugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
everything good for me! getting better though x
Whitby - I tried your recipe and LOVED IT :) :wave:

WhitbyJet

Aubergine Gratin with Roquefort Creme

Ingredients for 2 or 4 persons

• 4 aubergines
• 200 g Roquefort cheese
• Olive oil, peanut oil or sunflower oil
• 2 tablespoons pine nuts
• 3 tablespoons tomato puree
• 2 tablespoons creme fraiche or double cream (I used twice that amount)
• 1-4 cloves of garlic
• 1 tbsp finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
• freshly ground white or black pepper
• Sea salt
thyme, optional

cookware
• 1 large nonstick skillet or frying pan
• bowls
• paper towels
• 1 sieve
• 1 baking dish

preparation
• Wash the aubergines and pat dry, cut off both ends and cut into 1 to 2 cm long slices
• Place slices in a bowl, generously sprinkle with salt and leave to stand for one hour, this will get rid of the bitter juices.
• Then strain through a sieve, rinse thoroughly with water and pat dry with a paper towel.
• Fry the pine nuts in a frying pan, without fat, for a minute or so, allow to cool and chop finely.
• Crush the garlic
• Now combine tomatoes, cream, parsley, cheese, garlic and pine nuts (and thyme if using), mix well and season to taste.
• Fry the aubergine slices in a pan with hot oil for 2 minutes each side to brown and place on paper towel to drain offf excess fat.
• Preheat the oven to 180 ° C.
• Grease the gratin dish with oil and place a layer of aubergine slices, spread with some of the cream mixture, then add another layer of aubergines, then cream, finishing with a layer of aubergine on top
• Bake in the hot oven for 30 minutes.

http://der-kaese.de/rezepte/49-hauptmen ... creme.html

Delicious with lamb chops or roast, also nice with good sausages and a slice of buttered low carb bread. Its worth making in double quantity because it tastes even nicer when reheated. Also freezes well.
I hope you enjoy!

Reactions: 2 people

WhitbyJet

Coffee and Cake anyone?

Stracciatella cake
110 g butter, softened
120 g cream cheese
5 eggs, medium size
185 g almond flour
sweetener equivalent to 100g sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
almond essence/orange essence/vanilla essence
50 g of 85% chocolate

Preheat oven to 170 ° C.
Mix butter and cream cheese really well
Add sweetener and essence of your choice and stir again
Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition
Stir in almond flour and baking powder
Chop chocolate into small pieces and add to the mixture
Line and grease a small loaf tin or use a silicon baking dish
Pour in the cake mixture, level out the top
Bake for 55 minutes at 170 ° C in a fan assisted oven (would be 180 in a normal oven I think)

I have made 2 of these cakes yesterday, took one with me to work, everyone enjoyed.
The cake is moist, and will freeze, always have a cake ready for when one of those cravings strike.
Its so lovely with tea/coffee, served with a dollop of cream it wont leave you hungry for a while.

http://lchf.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=2886#p69379

WhitbyJet

Tuna burgers - quick lunch or light evening meal

Tuna burgers - quick lunch or light evening meal

For 1-2 servings
Mash up the contents of a can of tuna (in brine) with a fork and squeeze out excess liquid. Mix with 2 eggs, one tablespoon of ground almonds and 20g grated cheese. Season with paprika, lemon pepper (or use black pepper and a couple of shavings from a lemon) and salt. Add herbs to taste, e.g. Chives,Parsley, Dill, whichever you have to hand. Shape mixture into balls, then flatten slightly and fry in butter, medium heat.

Lovely served with a creamy home made coleslaw (non low carbers might want to serve with a couple of potato wedges)
Total 1.5 g carbohydrates, 63.4 g protein;

This is what they look like:
http://maggiefuttert.blogspot.com/2011/ ... ellen.html

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Hi WhitbyJet

Just a point for clarification - is "almond flour" the same as "ground almonds", or a finer, lighter product?

I'm still trying to find my "Cheesy almond bites" recipe for you to check over.

Many thanks for all the others - I feel some serious cooking coming on.

Viv 8)

WhitbyJet

Mince and spinach loaf

Mince and spinach loaf
For 4 servings:
Mix 800g minced meat with 3 eggs and season with salt and pepper, add any herbs you like, divide into 4 patties.
Sautee 600g spinach (thawed) in butter, season with salt and nutmeg.
Slice 250g mushrooms and sautee in butter, season with salt and pepper, dash of Worcestershiresauce..
Remove mushrooms from the pan, slowly stir 200ml cream into the remaining fat and juices in the pan, let it simmer, season with salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, dash of sherry if liked.
Place one of the mince patties in a greased ovenproof dish, top with half the spinach, another mince pattie on top of that, top with the mushrooms. Next another mince pattie, top this with the remaining spinach, finish with the 4th mince pattie. Brush with oil, bake in a preheated oven at 175C for 45-50 minutes.
Fry 100g bacon until crispy fry and place on top of the finished roast.
Serve with the sauce and veggie mash of your choice (if you are low carbing)

Per serving: 3.2 g carbs

Looks like this:
http://maggiefuttert.blogspot.com/2010/ ... uchen.html

WhitbyJet

Cold comfort - plan ahead

Got a cold coming on? Try these recipes to make you feel better, packed with nutrients you will soon be back on full forum

Chunky beef and vegetable soup
(winter food, tastes even better when reheated the next day, freeze in batches, be prepared)

Place 1kg of diced beef and a large peeled onion in a large pot of boiling salted water, about 2 - 3 litres and simmer for 2 hours. Remove onion. Remove the meat, cut into smaller cubes and put back into the pot.
Add 1 leek cut into slices, 200g diced swede, 150g celery diced, 200g green beans, cut or sliced.
Add 300g frozen peas and carrots mix, simmer until all vegetables are cooked, it took roughly an hour when I cooked it.
Season with salt, pepper and marjoram and bouillon powder. Finally dice some cold butter, the blog author used a full pack of 250g, but I added about half that amount.
This amount would give you 18 bowls, 7.4g carbs per serving.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are 3 recipes so will translate all of them for this link, my German is a bit rusty but here goes...

For breakfast - scrambled eggs with prawns

For 2 servings: Beat 6 eggs, add a dash of cream, season with salt and pepper. Melt butter in a pan, add 125g cooked prawns, add egg mixture, either let it set or scramble it until set, sprinkle with freshly chopped chives.
Per serving 1.75 g carbs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Creamy pepper soup

Attention, red and yellow peppers are quite high in carbs! So this soup wont be suitable if you are extremely low carbing.

For 4 servings: Cut 700g Peppers (here: red and yellow, use economy packs) into pieces. Fry in plenty of butter. Add 250ml stock and simmer until peppers are cooked, stir in 300g of cream, then puree with a stick blender or blender. season with salt, pepper, paprika, chili powder and herbs de Provence.

Per serving: Carbohydrate: 12.6 g

The photos:
http://maggiefuttert.blogspot.com/2010/ ... woche.html

WhitbyJet

Seriously Delicious Broccoli Gratin

Seriously Delicious Broccoli Gratin

400 g minced pork

Butter for frying

300 g Broccoli

1 serving bretagne sauce (see below)

1 Egg

1.5 cups grated white cheese

Preheat oven to 220 degrees.

Fry the mince in butter.

Place broccoli out in a greased oven proof dish, top with the browned mince.

Make the sauce* see below, remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the egg.

Pour the sauce over the mince and sprinkle with grated cheese.

Bake for approx. 20 minutes until cheese is melted and become golden.
-----------------------
Bretagne sauce
This sauce is lovely with fish, chicken and pork

30-50 g of butter
1 chargrilled red pepper (from a jar), chopped
2 shallots (or 1 / 2 small onion) - chopped
1 clove garlic - minced
1 cup whipping cream
1 cup creme fraiche
1 cup water
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 tablespoon bouillonpowder or a stock cube
white pepper, salt
1 tablespoon finely chopped flat-leaf parsley

Melt the butter in a saucepan. Fry the finely chopped onion and garlic in butter. Add remaining ingredients except parsley, bring to boil, simmer for 5 minutes, then puree until smooth, using a stick blender or blender. Add finely chopped parsley.

Photos:
http://lchf-bloggen.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... ateng.html = gratin
http://lchf-bloggen.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... esaus.html = sauce

WhitbyJet

Black Sunday Cake or Muffins

Black Sunday Cake or muffins
This is the most popular cake recipe in the Norwegian low carb forum, and its easy to see why, its moist, dark and very chocolatey and easy to make. A real winner!
The recipe is for a whole cake, but you can fill the mixture into muffin cases and halve the cooking time, this would make it easier to freeze in portions.

250 grams butter
250 grams dark chocolate (I use 86%)
1 cup strong coffee
2 dl Sukrin = or use Splenda/Zsweet (taste the mixture!)
1 vanilla pod, scraped out or vanilla extract
4 eggs

Melt butter and chocolate with coffee in a saucepan over low heat. Stir the mixture smooth. Remove the pan from the heat.

Mix in Sukrin/sweetener and using a whisk beat in the eggs.

Pour the mixture into a small, round baking tin (20 cm) lined with baking parchment at the bottom. Bake on middle rack in oven at 175 degrees for 1 hour.

Cool the cake in the tin, and preferably in the fridge ovedrnight. Loosen the cake from the tin by running a sharp knife around the edge.
Especially good served with cream and raspberries.

In the photo you can see black sunday-muffins served with a warm raspberry sauce. (Heat rasperries with a tiny amount of water, add swetener).

I made the muffins last night, served with mixed berries and cream, ooohhh YUM!!
(At the time of writing Sainsburys and Tescos sell packs of frozen berries, 3 for £5)

http://lchf-bloggen.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... unday.html

WhitbyJet

Bacon Gratin & Lemon Meringue Pie

Bacon Gratin
Ingredients:
600g minced beef
400g bacon, chopped
1 large onion, finely diced
3 cloves garlic crushed
3 tablespoons chili sauce or sambal oelek (from Asian shop)
pepper

About 8 oz of mushrooms, sliced (enough to cover the bottom of an ovenproof dish)
1 courgette cut into 2mm slices
Grated cheese

3 eggs
2 dl cream
1 cup water
Pepper, little bit of bouillon powder

Melt butter, add onion and fry until translucent, add the bacon, continue frying for a few minutes, finally add the mince and fry it until browned, mix with all other ingredients and cook for around 10-15mins.
Grease an ovenproof dish with butter, place a layer of mushrooms in the dish, then top with the meat/bacon sauce, then top with sliced courgette and sprinkle cheese over that.

Whisk together the cream water, eggs, pepper and a little bouillon powder, pour evenly over the gratin.
Whisk together the casserole and pour this over the gratin evenly.

Bake in middle of oven for about 20-25 minutes at 225 degrees.

http://www.lchfrecept.com/ShowRecepy.aspx?ID=167

Lemon Meringue Pie - Low Carb
Ingredients:
Pastry
1.5 cups coconut flour
1.5 cups almond flour
125 g butter
2-4 tablespoons water (depends on how you like dough)
1 egg yolk
a little sweetener

Lemon Cream
125g butter
1 lemon
1 lime
sweetener (taste the mixture to adjust to sweetness you like)
3 egg yolks
vanilla essence/extract

Meringue
4 egg whites
1 cup sweetener
pinch of cream of tartar

Mix all pastry ingredients, knead thoroughly, then line a suitable pie dish/flan tin. Bake at 175 ° 5-10 minutes until it is golden brown. Remove from the oven.

Melt butter on low heat, add sweetener and vanilla in a saucepan. Squeeze the juice from the lemon and lime, add to the pan, stir thoroughly, then add the egg yolks, one at a time whisking as you do so, continue to whisk until the mixture thickens. Pour the lemon cream into the pastry shell.

Whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks, add sweetener and cream of tartar, whisk until egg whites are stiff and glossy. Spread the meringue over the pie and bake for around 30 minutes until golden brown. Keep checking the colour as ovens vary.

If you find that you have too much meringue to place on top of the pie, you could make a couple of meringue nests and bake them along at the same time, fill them with cream, add a few berries or sliced kiwi or mandarin segments and you have another dessert for the next day.

http://www.lchfrecept.com/ShowRecepy.aspx?ID=1279

WhitbyJet

A Special Dinner

Italian Pork Tenderloin
Serves 4
800 g pork fillet in slices
100 g grated pecorino
2 grated mozzarella
2 cloves of garlic (I used double)
a pot of fresh basil
salt
freshly ground black pepper
1 cup sour cream
2 cups whipping cream
2 tablespoons pine nuts

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.

Melt butter and fry meat until brown on all sides.

Mix basil leaves, garlic and pecorinon in a food processor.

Add the cream, grated mozzarella and sour cream, season with salt and pepper.

Place the meat in a greased baking dish.

Spread the cheese / basil sauce over the meat and sprinkle with pine nuts.

Bake for about 20 minutes. Serve with buttered vegetables, perhaps a couple of buttered new potatoes tossed in finely chopped fresh parsley (depends on your carb allowance)
Photo:
http://alltomlchf.blogspot.com/2011/07/ ... rfile.html
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LCHF Crumble with raspberries or any other berries you like
Easy and quick-cook dessert
Serves 4
150g raspberries
50g unsalted butter
3 cups shredded coconut
1 egg
Vanilla extract
sweetener

3 cups whipping cream for serving
sweetener
vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.

Place berries in an greased oven-proof dish

Melt the butter, whisk in the egg, add the coconut and vanilla and mix well, spoon mixture over the raspberries.
Bake for 10-15 minutes until golden brown.

Whip the cream with a little sweetener and vanilla extract added to it, serve with the crumble.
Photo:
http://alltomlchf.blogspot.com/2011/05/ ... allon.html

Fallenstar

Just wanted to pop on and say, I was baking for children in need yesterday and today :angel: :D

I did a load of " normal" :wink: lemon muffins and some butterfly cakes, and chocolate cup cakes...all looked very yummy, I couldn't have any even if I wasn't low carb due to the flour content....Soooo, not to feel left out I did your Stracciattela cake.
It WAS delicious..notice was, I baked it this afternoon and it's ALL gone :shock: Not all by me I hasten to add.
The big slice I had needed hardly any Bolus....so a great Diabetic treat :D Thanks WJ xxxx

Reactions: Nickers

SparkJack

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
OOPSIES!

Found this VERY similar to Whitby Jet's Italian Style Pizza but subtely different ( and I thought that was scrummy....)
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
Makes 6-8 Oopsies depending on size .....
3eggs separated
100g of cream cheese (could have garlic and herbs if making a savoury Ooopsie)
a pinch of salt
half tbsp phsyllium fibre husks (can be left out)
half tsp baking powder (can be left out)
1 separate eggs -whites in one bowl-yolks in another
2 whisk egg whites and salt until very stiff
3 whisk yolks, cream cheese, husks and baking powder together
4 gently blend egg whites into the yolks
5 divide mixture into 2, 6, 8 (your choice) dollops on a baking tray.
6 Bake in oven 150C(300F) for about 25 mins in total
7 I took mine out after about 15 minutes put loads of different pizza type toppings on the top- tuna, prawns, green pepper, jalopeno peppers,tomato paste, tomatoes, chilli flakes,oregano and loads of grated cheese- and then put them under the grill (the cavity had been the oven) and they took about another 10minutes to finish

This is a very low carb base. Extremely easy to make and quick to cook.
Could be used as a bun for a burger/ hotdog/ sandwich etc = savoury
Could also be used as scones_lashings of whipped cream and a few fresh berries rather than jam.(use the plain cream cheese in the base) or a swiss roll base
If using as bread-scatter poppy , sesame seeds on top before cooking etc.
I'm going to try the half cooked, leftover Oopsies from to-day as the butties for a bacon butty tomorrow...........

I can see me using this base a lot!