Finding it hard.

Stephanie 1233

Been a diabetic for nearly two weeks I am still finding it hard to adjust to my new diet. I find food shopping quiet daunting too not sure on how many carbohydrates I can have still waiting to see a diabetic nurse.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok thank you for your help.
Its why many people find a carnivore diet easier. You don't really have to count carbs because you simply don't eat them. It's quite hard to get your head around at first but once started it gets a lot easier.

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you got a nutrition app? There are quite a few to help you, eg https://www.myfitnesspal.com/, and https://www.fatsecret.co.uk/, there are many others - I use fatsecret through a browser on my laptop, it's free that way. Or maybe set up a spreadsheet, adding all the foods you're likely to buy so you can tot your daily carb count and plan your next day's meals.

Fatsecret has educated me to what's high and low carb, helping me make the right choices. I'd be lost without it.

NB: Take care though as some of the nutrition values have been input by the general public who're liable to make mistakes. It's easy to check.

Example of my food today (not had dinner yet, but it's planned) - it's the Net C (net carbs) column that's the important one. If I'm 'good' for the rest of the day I'll be under 20g of carbs. Tracking can be fun.

upload_2020-8-15_17-40-22.png

zeeeee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found it easier to think about how I can replace things.

I used to love mashed potatoes so I changed to cauliflower mash (which I think tastes better) and so forth with other side dishes

Shopping was daunting at first but you have to get into the habit of checking the labels, i'm still shocked at some of the stuff I pick up and the level of carbs listed and thats without all the other junk thats added. I developed a carb phobia which I still have now 8 months later by thinking exactly what bulkbiker said "I need no carbohydrates and any that I do eat will likely cause my blood sugar to rise."

There's mountains of food and meals to discover that contain very little carbs and are all natural and very satisfying.

I forget who said this "if its a man made food its probably not going to be good for you" or something along those lines and this is something I always think about when shopping.

As Jennifer says above use an app to track and planning your meals helps a lot wether its in the morning or the night before. All this will come natural to you over time.

Last edited:

Andy_Warlow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cycling,
You do not need carbs to be healthy.

So best way to approach is, what can use instead.

So cauliflower rice instead of rice. For example.

If you do want to keep carbs then minimal amounts. Not every day.

Your blood sugar will drop dramatically.

There is a book by Dennis Pollock called 60 ways to lower your blood sugar. Brilliant book. That will help big time.

Reactions: Stephanie 1233

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I started with the low carb, I found it easier to spend some time perusing food items online before I hit the supermarket - that way I was not left squinting at the tiny print on labels while simultaneously trying to wrangle the price bipper thingy, my bags, my specs onto my nose, all while attempting to maintain social distance!

It’s not the everyday foods that trip you up, you soon get your head around no potatoes, no pasta etc. But Sriracha - oh dear. In theory it would be fine despite its carb content, it’s a condiment not main ingredient, apparently. :) Who knew? I tend to use it with a heavy hand on just about everything, so that had to go!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I started with the low carb, I found it easier to spend some time perusing food items online before I hit the supermarket - that way I was not left squinting at the tiny print on labels while simultaneously trying to wrangle the price bipper thingy, my bags, my specs onto my nose, all while attempting to maintain social distance!

It’s not the everyday foods that trip you up, you soon get your head around no potatoes, no pasta etc. But Sriracha - oh dear. In theory it would be fine despite its carb content, it’s a condiment not main ingredient, apparently. :) Who knew? I tend to use it with a heavy hand on just about everything, so that had to go!
Try this one instead
https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/cholula-hot-sauce-original/599303-84965-84966

Andy_Warlow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cycling,
i saw your interview on his beat diabetes youtube channel, very relatable and inspiring to anyone newly diagnosed

pretty good channel dennis runs on diabetes.

Cheers, I was so nervous at the time.

Yeah really like his channel and his book help me big time.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Been a diabetic for nearly two weeks I am still finding it hard to adjust to my new diet. I find food shopping quiet daunting too not sure on how many carbohydrates I can have still waiting to see a diabetic nurse.

To make things easier, I don’t count the carbs in any veggies, if it’s green and leafy, they get a free pass. I load my shopping cart. Of course all the meat, eggs and cheese are great. I buy peanut butter, macadamia, pistachios for snacks. Un sweetened almond milk. And I’m out the door.

So I pretty much only read the labels on the almond milk and peanut butter. After a while you learn the brands ... no need to count carbs at all.

I can make a ton of dishes stir-frying the meat and veggies in coconut oil. Eggs and veggies are great too. I eat lots of smoked salmon. Raw spinach, salmon and cream cheese, maybe add in an avocado. Preserved veggies, kimchi olives..

I have it super easy, I only need to prepare meals for myself.

anyway, it’s difficult getting started, but it certainly does get easier.

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
government policies that increase inequality, brussel sprouts, neighbour's karaoke at 2am
I am newly diagnosed too. I've found this forum very helpful. I've bought the blood 8 week sugar diet recipe book (Michael Mosley), I've bought a blood glucose monitor and test before and then 2 hours after meals. The testing allows me to identify foods that cause spikes (e.g. Porridge is a no no for me) I'm avoiding carbs and finding good alternatives (see the what did you eat today post) and my blood glucose levels are really good now.

It is hard but getting easier.