Regular moderate exercise log

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
C'mon @Goonergal, let's see the canal remake of "Singin' In The Rain"!!
Barre class at noon. Not nearly as worn out before I started, which is a good thing.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We've been looking after a dog this week. He's a bit old and arthritic but even so have manged at least 2 30 minutes walk a day with him, and often a longer one in between.

I think i may have to kidnap him and sneak him home in my suitcase, he's good for my exercise:)

Reactions: zauberflote

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We've been looking after a dog this week. He's a bit old and arthritic but even so have manged at least 2 30 minutes walk a day with him, and often a longer one in between.

I think i may have to kidnap him and sneak him home in my suitcase, he's good for my exercise:)

It’s so easy to walk with a dog isn’t it? Ours doesn’t go very fast - just likes sniffing around, but even a slow mooch is better than sitting in the sofa.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Terrible day exercise wise today as I’ve been sat in the car driving for most of it, and being a shoulder to cry on for the rest. However daughter has booked me into boot camp with her tomorrow morning so although I’m not looking forward to it at all, I’ll be glad this time tomorrow as I’ll have done it!
(I’m only posting that to keep me in the habit)

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@DJC3 boot camp!! You could not pay me enough to get screamed at by somebody who believed that I would accomplish this class if it crippled or killed me! Maybe I have a bad stereotype there-- keep us posted!

Reactions: DJC3

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

19.3 miles today of which 16.1 were broadly canal based. Took a train to Old Hill, walked back to Gosty Hill Tunnel and then back the other way to Bumble Hole, along to Blowers Green and up to the Dudley Tunnel before heading for Dudley itself to get a quick look at the Castle (from afar), the ruins of St James’s Priory and finally a quick peak at Wren’s Nest before heading to the cafe at the Dudley Canal Trust for a needed cold drink. Then a quick burst through the Black Country Living Museum (I have a pass for the year) - mainly to pick up a couple of things in the gift shop - before heading to Tipton station and the train back to New Street.

All good fun and managed not to get wet!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Goodness @Goonergal that is an amazing walk. The only time I’ve ever walked that far was when I was at school and it was a sponsored 20 mile walk!
Today I did 12,300 steps. My health app doesn’t seem to convert steps into distance anymore which is irritating.
I also went to boot camp this morning ( and survived @zauberflote ) it was just 1/2 hr including warm up and cool down. Basically 5 exercises: mummy kicks, lunges, sit ups, glute bridge, ski jumps. You do each one for 20 seconds as energetically as you can, then rest for 20secs then the next one for 20 secs and so on. Then you start at the beginning until you’ve done 5 whole sets. The trainer was funny and encouraging and not at all like a bullying drill sergeant. I was knackered by the end but it felt good and I’ve already booked for next week.

Reactions: zauberflote

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
BRAVISSIMA @DJC3 !!! Had to look up mummy kicks but sounds like the jumprope step where you cross the rope in front of you (never mastered that one-- I liked the kind with people turning the rope for you and was pretty good with the double rope stuff. Ahhhh those long evenings in the back yard playing jumprope.... )
Sounds like you had plenty of fun, and that's what will keep you going back!
I have friends who've attended an 0500 parking lot type boot camp, probably 90 min to 2 hr, taught by a Navy SEAL. I am glad to hear there's a civilised alternative!
The only exercise I'm apt to get today is a walk "to the streetlight and back" when I go allll the waaaayyy dowwwwn the looonnnng driveway (40 feet maybe?) to get the mail.

Reactions: DJC3 and Goonergal

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@zauberflote, I thought of you as I enjoyed this article on the agonies of a return to ballet classes: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/lif...allet-classes-are-not-for-the-faint-of-heart/

Aw that's cute-- she must be about my age. I started ballet at 8, so am way ahead of her on vocab and muscle memory, but oh the stiffness and balance problems It was just too frustrating trying again. I have poor feet, poor balance, a pathetic back, multi-sprained ankles, generally speaking, I'm old! I can, however, do swan arms and an erect carriage with the best of them. It's funny. The first time I saw my barre teacher, I thought she was over 6' tall! She is lean and rangey, looks kinda like an Irish cowgirl. First time I stood next to her, I discovered she is no taller than me! It's all in the "presence", you know?
Where did all that come from??

Reactions: DJC3 and MrsA2

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did an hours Flexercise class on zoom this morning. Flexercise is moderate movement, stretch and balance class that has developed form the old style Womes League of Health and Beauty.. any one on here admitting to being old enough to remember women in knickers and blouses ? Well its s a bit more modern now, and I like it as a good all round class that isn't too tiring for the start of the week.

Missing the coffee catchups afterwards though.

Then this afternoon did about an hours modern line dancing, also online. More of a work out for the brain remembering all the steps but I got out of puff so it must have had some benefit.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another canal walk for me today. Weather much better than yesterday, when I got soaked and cut a walk short.

Fair amount of sun today, which made up for the 4.5 mile detour due to starting out in the wrong direction on the canal :hilarious:

6F3F19F4-3CA4-413D-B2E8-1821822CAEA5.jpeg

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I did 14000 steps over the kind of up and down close contours terrain which has probably done more for my muscles than anything else I have done ecently as I am aching in a good way. However my pedometer suggests I have only done 2500 exercise type steps. It lies.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@zauberflote did you say somewhere you are 78? That is my age, but I wouldn't dare go near a ballet class, despite my lifelong admiration for that kind of physique and movement. So well done!!!

Not at all! I'm 68, which I figured by the 1960's reference to be about the author of the ballet article's age. When I am 78 perhaps I will still be pursuing barre in an "optionize! Optionize!" mode. Meaning that, as now, I will do what I can. I only took half a dozen ballet classes before I discovered barre. Oddly, I don't miss ballet much any more, as I have proved to myself that I can't go back to how I was 35 years ago.

Somewhere on Youtube is Maya Plisetskaya's final "Dying Swan". She was 61, and it is heart-rending.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@Goonergal tooo much! Glad you enjoyed yourself, and glad there was a train! We here would not be so lucky
@Japes sounds like quite a hike there-- glad your knees are good!!
Barre class just finished. I am lying, flattened and shaky-armed, on my mat here. Not sure I can summon any abs to curl me up with....

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Annnnnd another killer barre class.....

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And on the same theme @zauberflote, another canal walk! Had a couple of rest days in Hull with friends which really only involved gentle walks in short bursts.

Back on it today! Managed to get to the train station for ride back to hotel just before it started tipping down.

5013BADE-E51A-4160-BE0C-04A246A30C95.jpeg

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday an hours walk with a friend
Today an hours dog walk with another friend then a 20 minute stroll after dinner, with the dog. Am thinking a dog might be good for me (but don't tell my cats!)