Covid and Work, Covid Advice and General Chat

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Stand by - it would appear that another U-turn is imminent. This time on masks in schools.

I will say that any government should NOT have to be put under substantial pressure by the ones they are elected to protect, in order to give us that protection.

Max68

Well just spoke to my GP in a last effort to get some advice but nope they can't do anything as they along with everyone else is going by the wishy washy government guidelines. Said she would write a letter to my employer confirming I have diabetes but they already know that so pretty useless. She didn't know anything really about masks bar saying the FFP3 is the one they use but it won't be comfortable wearing it all day and said a visor is a good idea if it makes you feel happier, but admitted that if no-one else wears a mask whilst they may offer a little protection they are designed to protect others rather than you!

Could sign me off with stress but it would only be for two weeks and sympathised with my position but said there is nothing they can do.

Oh well, always wanted to be a Guinee pig!

Reactions: JRT

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well just spoke to my GP in a last effort to get some advice but nope they can't do anything as they along with everyone else is going by the wishy washy government guidelines. Said she would write a letter to my employer confirming I have diabetes but they already know that so pretty useless. She didn't know anything really about masks bar saying the FFP3 is the one they use but it won't be comfortable wearing it all day and said a visor is a good idea if it makes you feel happier, but admitted that if no-one else wears a mask whilst they may offer a little protection they are designed to protect others rather than you!

Could sign me off with stress but it would only be for two weeks and sympathised with my position but said there is nothing they can do.

Oh well, always wanted to be a Guinee pig!

What was your last HbA1c out of interest?

Have you taken any measures to improve your metabolic health whilst not at work?

Max68

Well it's an expensive planning on going back! Masks on way, hand sanitizer on way, mask ear loop holders on way. Still not sure on what visor to get as a few seem quite flimsy for all day wear. Any more suggestions for comfortable, reusable and robust would be appreciated.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
You are stressed Max. My grandchildren go back to school on Thursday, the day after tomorrow, and my son-in-law’s been putting the measures in place for a secondary school. I’ve not asked my son-in-law what the measures are that he’s using as I don’t want to butt into his downtime. I just know that the jokes to relieve the stress are increasing.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You are stressed Max. My grandchildren go back to school on Thursday, the day after tomorrow, and my son-in-law’s been putting the measures in place for a secondary school. I’ve not asked my son-in-law what the measures are that he’s using as I don’t want to butt into his downtime. I just know that the jokes to relieve the stress are increasing.
I imagine your poor son in law is awaiting whatever decision Boris plans to flip flop to next and don't envy heads and managers this alongside the normal back to school stress which I know all teachers suffer from after a long break (both parents were teachers)!

Max68

I imagine your poor son in law is awaiting whatever decision Boris plans to flip flop to next and don't envy heads and managers this alongside the normal back to school stress which I know all teachers suffer from after a long break (both parents were teachers)!

Think that's half my problem. Worked from home since March so the only time I was indoors anywhere else but home was today at a hearing aid appointment. After an hour that mask became claustrophobic so not looking forward to 8 hours in one!

Boris's handling in a crisis makes Theresa May look like Churchill and his decisions have made employers, GP's and Unions pretty useless for any support at all.

Reactions: NicoleC1971

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Gas masks - was there this sort of discussion and opposition to children wear and carrying gas masks?

At this point in time the effects of post covid illness, even in children, is not known.

The stance seems to be that if you don't die, you are ok. Despite numerous reports indicating otherwise for many.

Still, those who don't take it seriously enough haven't changed their views, and I don't expect them to - yet.

Reactions: UK T1 and HSSS

Max68

Gas masks - was there this sort of discussion and opposition to children wear and carrying gas masks?

At this point in time the effects of post covid illness, even in children, is not known.

The stance seems to be that if you don't die, you are ok. Despite numerous reports indicating otherwise for many.

Still, those who don't take it seriously enough haven't changed their views, and I don't expect them to - yet.

Interesting rumour doing the rounds that Boris has Long Covid and will be gone within 6 months. He has furiously denied it so it's probably true!!

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/ukne...-suggestions-as-absolute-nonsense/ar-BB18mmts

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And Bingo!!!! Masks in school.

This government has more changes of direction than spaghetti junction.

I suppose this U-turn had nothing to do with the school heads taking matters into their own hands.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting rumour doing the rounds that Boris has Long Covid and will be gone within 6 months. He has furiously denied it so it's probably true!!

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/ukne...-suggestions-as-absolute-nonsense/ar-BB18mmts
I think that has more to do with the effects of Brexit falling on him, and running away from the responsibility, than long covid-19.

No one I know with long covid-19, including me, has the strength to behave as Boris has since leaving hospital.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I suppose this U-turn had nothing to do with the school heads taking matters into their own hands.
Where have you seen this?

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Think that's half my problem. Worked from home since March so the only time I was indoors anywhere else but home was today at a hearing aid appointment. After an hour that mask became claustrophobic so not looking forward to 8 hours in one!

Boris's handling in a crisis makes Theresa May look like Churchill and his decisions have made employers, GP's and Unions pretty useless for any support at all.
Best of luck with the return and i hope you find a visor you can use as they are more humane to you and less de-humanising.
I have to wear them for work although I avoid where possible but you know my stance on this... Anyway there are loads of parents out there who will be grateful that teachers like you are going back in spite of your fears.

Reactions: Max68

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Note that it is being pushed out to head teachers in areas where there isn't an allegedly high case load.
If you disagree with the idea of making secondary kids wear masks this is a good time to write to your headteacher. See template on the UsforThem facebook page.
Also interesting study from Spectator (Uni of Warwick) which points out that mask wearing encourages the wearer to stand closer due to 'classic risk compensation' .
Hopefully all those kids are boilwashing their fabric masks over the course of school day... but i doubt it so this isn't going to reassure the nervous peeps out there IMO.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Actually only mandatory in corridors of places in lockdown. Not in classrooms. Otherwise down to the head teacher and no longer advised against. So wish washy and vague as to be expected. Adjacent schools could well have different policies in the same risk levels.