1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Covid and Work, Covid Advice and General Chat

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Max68, Jul 13, 2020.

1. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Expert

That's my point. Neither method works.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Max68

Max68 · Well-Known Member

I actually feel sorry for the Unions as this is all totally new or (novel!) so they just don't really know what to request or do as there is no precedent for it. My rep said the teachers could strike but they do realise the importance of getting the schools open and provide the education. Like you say though there isn't any real support for the vulnerable groups.

Not sure I'll be much use to be honest as I am supporting anxious children and yet will be anxious myself so probably won't be able to do my job properly as I'll be desperately trying to keep myself safe. I'll wear a mask, and maybe even a visor. I'll eat a banana for lunch as you don't have to touch the thing you are eating and I will social distance so will just support by being in the classroom but won't be helping any with their work at close quarters. I'll be in at 8.30 rather than 8 and will leave on the dot rather than help out elsewhere. Sounds harsh but I'll do what I need to do to lower my risks. If the school has a problem with that then so be it.

So many masks and visors out there it's difficult to choose,. I know the medical ones are one use only and cost a fortune so if anyone has any good ideas I'd appreciate it if you can PM me. Thanks,

• Like Like x 2
  3. ert

ert Type 1 · Well-Known Member

This is a useful study. They recommend N95 masks, which I find comfortable. Also, googles or face shields.
    https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31142-9/fulltext

4. Andydragon

Andydragon Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

5. ert

I buy them at our local pharmacy.

6. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Guru
    Retired Moderator

That was way back at the beginning of the pandemic when PPE was in short supply.

If you can source n95 masks via a route that doesn’t deny a healthcareworker from using it, then go for it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Max68

8. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

I bought the FFP2 fluid resistant medical/surgical quality ones from somewhere. They weren't terribly expensive and we find them comfortable. I originally found them on Google but have lost the link now. What you may find useful are Microsafe 70% Alcohol Skin & Surface Moist Wipes . They come in small sachets and can be used not only to wipe your hands but mainly I use them for cutlery and crockery when eating out, and when visiting toilets for touching door handles with, toilet flushing mechanisms, or anything else you may have to touch. Easy to carry several sachets in your pockets.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ert

I buy the N95 for £2 at my local pharmacy and the Pharmacist recommends wearing them for 10 days x 12 hours. He and his staff wear them and wipe down with disinfectant gel after work also. I haven't tried this as I haven't worn one for a total of 12 hours yet.

10. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Expert

I heard health workers at the worst of the shortages were doing similar, or placing inside paper bags for 2 or 3 days before reusing them once possible virus has degraded over time. I think they do last longer than the blue II2 ones and can be stored and used until the cumulative useable time has passed. But I’d double check that before doing it.

• Informative Informative x 2
  11. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

I don't own any of these myself, but I was so impressed by the apparently robust nature of the thing that made me ask the lady wearing it. She confirmed it to be comfortable and robust.

https://lockwood-packaging-ltd.myshopify.com/

• Like Like x 3
  12. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Expert

#732 HSSS, Aug 25, 2020 at 12:54 AM
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
  13. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

14. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Expert

A significant number, that needs addressing with further safety measures not threats of fines and criminality!

I also saw articles in the “i” last night finally asking about the associated risks to teachers and families not just the generally low risk pupils, and others talking about long covid in people with non serious covid initially (often young people). The press are finally asking about the inconsistency of guidelines within school compared to all other venues and the Virus’ miraculous and convenient ability to wait at the school gates before spreading widely amongst rampaging teens after school in the streets, beaches and shops

• Like Like x 2
  15. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  16. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

@Fairygodmother links are allowed so long as they are relevant and that the poster will not make any personal gain from them.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Max68

I think the one per cent unsure was Boris voting!!

Honestly, the cast of Rainbow could do a better job of running the country!

Thanks all for the messages and suggestions, it's most appreciated. Never in a million years did I ever think I would be on an Internet Forum asking others what face masks may keep me safer at work!! I'm also going to be wearing some red ruby slippers to work and click the heels three times at 4pm!!

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Max68

See South Korea has closed down schools again due to a surge in cases and the Koreans have managed this pandemic remarkably well. Why do we not learn from what's happening elsewhere until it's too late? This Government has not performed one proactive decision.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

An Academy Head has instigated masks in corridors, he said that without good guidance from the govt he was going to make his own decisions.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Max68

As they all should. I'm staggered school Head's haven't just made a decision and made masks mandatory. I assume most of them can read so therefore would be able to read about what's happening in South Korea and the US. If the Government questions it the reply you give is to make schools as safe as possible by mandatory masks. Head's cannot get into trouble from the Government for protecting pupils and staff surely.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook