BloodVyper

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
First Post Introduction

So I've had Type 1 Diabetes for the past 6 years now. I was diagnosed during secondary school in Year 11, and missed half of my final year due to lethargy and severe depression. Once diagnosed, I was able to get back to school, and managed to get respectable grades.

Going Keto

For just over two weeks now, I've been eating a ketogenic diet. I just wanted to share my experiences, as it's had a hugely positive effect on my projected Hba1c.

For context, I use a Freestyle Libre with the Miao Miao 2, synced to a cloud Nightscout server with the xDrip Android app.

The following images show my levels before keto. The dawn phenomenon was a daily occurence, and my BG levels were all over the place.

UuCP6d9.jpg

g1iW5ad.jpg

These next few images show my readings AFTER starting keto.

tk3ZtMM.jpg

UOx46o1.jpg

To summarise, I've dropped 0.8% from my projected Hba1c reading (estimate for the week, but I am comfortable with doing this long-term, so these results should continue).

Perhaps most important is my insulin sensitivity. See below for a "before keto" and "after keto" comparison of my daily insulin dosages.

gpY5MsE.jpg

(This first image shows 145 units of Novorapid, with 141g of carbohydrate)

KjyzHlN.jpg

(I'm going to use my best day for this week to show current insulin dosages, Friday 28th August 2020)

WAiFKiJ.jpg

I made a single correction dose that day to combat creeping blood sugars. A waking BG rise always happens, but I noticed it was much slower and more gradual on keto. Then, 30 grams of carbs in a single meal just before 8PM requiring 20 units of Novorapid.

26 units TOTAL.

This is what I ate on the 28th August 2020:

4AI4EEU.jpg

Summary
T1 Diabetes care is highly personal, so take my experiences with a grain of salt (you need more salt on keto as carbs draw water out of the bloodstream, haha pun!). This simply demonstrates how quickly keto can transform your blood sugar control, and I've personally felt much more energetic (and lost almost 5kg since starting, though that will partially be water weight).

Two final images for you to see:

(A whole days readings for Friday 28th August 2020, whilst on keto).
ed08tXs.jpg

(Whole days readings for Friday 28th July 2020, before keto)
AotRX2p.jpg

In summary - I'M OVER THE MOON!

Last edited:
Reactions: JenniferM55

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done and keep up the good work. I can't see your images, but I get the idea. Removing all the noise caused by carbohydrate and bolus insulin certainly makes good control more doable. It also makes understanding control dynamics a lot easier. You may some anomalies caused by basal action mismatching, in which case basal testing and adjustment should improve control even further.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can’t see your images either, but your delight comes through very clearly!
Am delighted that you have found something that is working for you. :D

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

In summary - I'M OVER THE MOON!

Hi, well done! Plus welcome to the forum!

I can't see your images either, probably because you need a few more postings on the forum before they show up

Great inspiration... thank you!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great stuff ! Also can’t see your images but loving your enthusiasm.

BloodVyper

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I'm still in the sub-three post purgatory!

I'll get this thread updated once that limit is gone. Thank you for the kind words too everyone!

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't see your images but a big well done to you - I am so happy for you!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @BloodVyper,

Welcome to the forum.. :)

I won't mention the images. ;)

Another MM2 & Libre user. The DP? Is yours on waking or a 2 hours after & a busy regime prior to work with "nill by mouth?" (Maybe "brunch" for me no need for lunch ot wait till... "Lunch.")
Pending on what's done for a day's "trade?"

BloodVyper

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @BloodVyper,

Welcome to the forum.. :)

I won't mention the images. ;)

Another MM2 & Libre user. The DP? Is yours on waking or a 2 hours after & a busy regime prior to work with "nill by mouth?" (Maybe "brunch" for me no need for lunch ot wait till... "Lunch.")
Pending on what's done for a day's "trade?"

I typically wake up around 9/10am. The dawn phenomenon occurs within 15-30 minutes of waking up, so I always do a 10 unit correction.

After that, I don't eat anything until around 6PM. I practice fasting throughout the day, and then give myself a 2 hour eating window aligned with the keto diet. Normally around 2000 calories for that entire meal.

I work from home by the way, so I have the luxury of being able to focus on my health at all times, rather than JUST when I can find time during an office shift.

Reactions: Brunneria

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I typically wake up around 9/10am. The dawn phenomenon occurs within 15-30 minutes of waking up, so I always do a 10 unit correction.

After that, I don't eat anything until around 6PM. I practice fasting throughout the day, and then give myself a 2 hour eating window aligned with the keto diet. Normally around 2000 calories for that entire meal.

I work from home by the way, so I have the luxury of being able to focus on my health at all times, rather than JUST when I can find time during an office shift.

Lol, I don't do "offices." But I do fast till at least midday. Orrrrr.. If doing a gig, fast from 1pm till 2/3am?. Can't rock out on a full stomach. (Talking pre lockdown of course.)
To be fair. Still been maitaining "that" regime. Home writing & recording.. Like to "sing for my supper." :)

My metabolism is different, wake up on a tidy 5. Come up 3mmol, 2 hours later after the melle of prepping for work & walking a dog. (No longer with me. You don't wanna know.) 1u pulls it down for me.

Good to have you onboard.

BloodVyper

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I write for a living too! Albeit on computer technology stuff rather than anything creative.

If I wake up at 5mmol, 10 units will keep me at 5mmol 2-3 hours later. Definitely need to improve my insulin sensitivity!

Nice to meet you too! Hopefully we can get to know each other better!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I write for a living too! Albeit on computer technology stuff rather than anything creative.

If I wake up at 5mmol, 10 units will keep me at 5mmol 2-3 hours later. Definitely need to improve my insulin sensitivity!

Uncertain what insulin regime & type of you are prescribed? If on MDI?
Could be just a matter of a tweak with the basal..?
Regarding what you do with your fasting. But we do have a different journey with metabolism & lifestyle.. We all have indevidual practicalities with that side of things.
I personally just focus on the "hunt" then eat? Leaning toward proteins...
Oddly during my pre diagnosis on my 8th birthday just prior to a GP procrastinating. (Then fobbing my mum off.) I dodged the birthday cake intuitively opting for cold cuts on the table.. Lol, I was rushed round a kiddie ward & formaly diagnosed by a Nurse. Once stabilised, taught to inject into an orange, then disapointingly fed more carbs than anyone could get thier head round. Let alone the disappointment of an 8 year old.. Lol, "bless em" the focus was for me to quikly regain the weight???

Never feel a "freak" my friend.. Just expect a few "Q&As."

Medina27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do Keto but only during the day. This cuts my injections down to just morning and evening

I eat whatever I like at dinner

Best of both world's :jimlad:

BloodVyper

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Uncertain what insulin regime & type of you are prescribed? If on MDI?
Could be just a matter of a tweak with the basal..?
Regarding what you do with your fasting. But we do have a different journey with metabolism & lifestyle.. We all have indevidual practicalities with that side of things.
I personally just focus on the "hunt" then eat? Leaning toward proteins...
Oddly during my pre diagnosis on my 8th birthday just prior to a GP procrastinating. (Then fobbing my mum off.) I dodged the birthday cake intuitively opting for cold cuts on the table.. Lol, I was rushed round a kiddie ward & formaly diagnosed by a Nurse. Once stabilised, taught to inject into an orange, then disapointingly fed more carbs than anyone could get thier head round. Let alone the disappointment of an 8 year old.. Lol, "bless em" the focus was for me to quikly regain the weight???

Never feel a "freak" my friend.. Just expect a few "Q&As."

I'm currently on Novorapid (1 unit for a 0.3mmol reduction) and Lantus at 10PM each night (20 units).

One memory I have before getting diagnosed was a craving for orange juice. I drank a litre of the stuff, and in hindsight that must've sped along the process!

I do Keto but only during the day. This cuts my injections down to just morning and evening

I eat whatever I like at dinner

Best of both world's :jimlad:

I have the same. Correction bolus for the small morning rise I get, correct throughout the day if my BG's are creeping above 7 mmol. Then, one massive 2000 calorie meal around 6PM, keep it healthy with avocados, nuts, lean protein, veggies etc.

Good on you, it's a great diet for me (and hopefully for you too!).

Reactions: Medina27

Wayward Blood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi BloodVyper!

Great work on getting the keto diet going. I follow a low carbohydrate diet and it's done wonders for my type 1. It's great you write as well! I've done some creative writing here and there (and also work as a professional musician like Jaylee!). I've decided to move over to the other side of things though and am launching a proofreading business tomorrow, having finished my relevant training. It's a bit easier to keep COVID secure that way instead of piano teaching.

Being self-employed definitely helps with setting my schedule and keeping my blood glucose levels in check, although amazing control is possible for almost every work type. :)

All the best, and I hope you keep seeing amazing success.