Type 1'stars R Us

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
It was only about 3 years ago - after over 30 years injecting - that I was told I should inject basal and bolus in different locations as they can interact. And whilst I've learnt lots on here, I was pretty well-informed via reading etc, so I don't know how I missed that bit of info. Prior to that, I'd used the front of my torso for everything. I now have lipohypertrophy in areas of my stomach so I avoid them and inject bolus anywere else on the front of my torso up to my bra line. Basal goes in thighs or bum. I've tried using arms - you do need enough fat to avoid muscle - but I find it the most awkward of all and the hardest to keep track of where I've injected so I mostly avoid it.
I was never told to inject basal and bolus in different places so that's new info for me thanks @hh1. Nor sure how I'm going to take to basal in thigh, not sure where exactly to aim for, any suggestions ? I prick for basal and bolus at the same time but wonder if I should move basal to nearer bedtime. I do a split dose,7am and 6.30pm

Reactions: Marie 2

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah that’s interesting, wonder why some people are told to try arms and others not?
Nobody told me to try arms, I just read about someone using arms and I thought I'd try, because why not. Turned out I liked it much more than thighs, so easy choice :)
Although I also like the little fatty cushion (chicken fillets my friend calls them) on the inside of my thigh right next to my knee. I've never heard this spot recommended but the insulin works just fine there.

Reactions: hh1

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was never told to inject basal and bolus in different places so that's new info for me thanks @hh1. Nor sure how I'm going to take to basal in thigh, not sure where exactly to aim for, any suggestions ? I prick for basal and bolus at the same time but wonder if I should move basal to nearer bedtime. I do a split dose,7am and 6.30pm
I don't know what more experienced thigh users do but I just do anywhere there's enough fat - only on the front and outside so far as I do prefer to see what I'm doing :)

Reactions: Marie 2 and Rose22

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I also seem to remember once being told 'anywhere there's enough fat for the needle'; don't know if that's true but it'd support your results by your knees @Antje77. I have another memory of reading something on here once about avoiding calves but I can't remember why.....duh

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have another memory of reading something on here once about avoiding calves but I can't remember why.....duh
I don't remember anything about avoiding calves but I do remember someone using calves, especially when eating out, I think.
The thought made me cringe, even though there's enough fat on mine, so I'll leave that experiment to others!

Reactions: Marie 2 and hh1

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Nobody told me to try arms, I just read about someone using arms and I thought I'd try, because why not. Turned out I liked it much more than thighs, so easy choice :)
Although I also like the little fatty cushion (chicken fillets my friend calls them) on the inside of my thigh right next to my knee. I've never heard this spot recommended but the insulin works just fine there.
@ANTJE trying to find some chicken fillets now. I think that might be good with some French fries

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I also seem to remember once being told 'anywhere there's enough fat for the needle'; don't know if that's true but it'd support your results by your knees @Antje77. I have another memory of reading something on here once about avoiding calves but I can't remember why.....duh
Oh, dear, no calves? I've been injecting into my calves for the last month. My abdomen is painful, so moved to my buttocks, then lower back hips, thighs, now calves.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh, dear, no calves? I've been injecting into my calves for the last month. My abdomen is painful, so moved to my buttocks, then lower back hips, thighs, now calves.
If you're still seeing good numbers you've proven it works. Jab away I'd say!

Reactions: Rose22

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
@ert sounds like a pain all round

Reactions: Marie 2
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Hi, I have been injecting in my arms for a couple of decades now.

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
True @ANTJE my BG is being a little madam but I find French fries makes me smile so I'm going to try the fillet and chips
Hehe, I’m having meatballs and pasta for dinner...so I think I’ll need to use all the available fat areas for injecting to have a sugar reading that’s close to normal before bedtime!

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Honestly, if it works for you why not? and as I unhelpfully can't remember what I read, forget I said it - I would!

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
And fwiw I inject into lower bum, the higher I go there the more I find it hurts, and that seems to work for me

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
And fwiw I inject into lower bum, the higher I go there the more I find it hurts, and that seems to work for me
Oh lower? Not tried that, as was advised top, which is fiddly and can hurt if get angle wrong, despite it being a nice fatty area.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
After all those posts about where to inject I now have a mental image of all participants of this thread injecting in adventurous sites tonight :hilarious:
I think I'll try bum today to see how I like it, even though it seems a hassle as I'm usually sitting on it when it's time for my Tresiba.
Anyone else up for a challenge?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
After all those posts about where to inject I now have a mental image of all participants of this thread injecting in adventurous sites tonight :hilarious:
I think I'll try

Adventurous site ? The end of the runway at Schipol?