Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
having diabetes...... people who wear backpacks on the tube
Hi
I’ve just been told by my GP practice that my 6 monthly HbA1c test has been put back to January 30 th and will now be done yearly . Has anybody else been told this . I’m a bit concerned , how can you keep track of your condition if your test is getting done yearly

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As a type 2 I was yearly until on meds, then it was 3 months to see how they where working.
Should say...I totally get your concern! Far easier to keep on track when know average number. Plus must be cheaper for nhs the cost of a blood test, versus complication costs or medications?!
I’m type 1 and it’s 6 months now whilst try to stabilise levels.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
I’ve just been told by my GP practice that my 6 monthly HbA1c test has been put back to January 30 th and will now be done yearly . Has anybody else been told this . I’m a bit concerned , how can you keep track of your condition if your test is getting done yearly
Don't you test at home? That's a far better indication of how you are getting on than a hba1c that can be effected by a few factots xx

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I had to make representations to my surgery, when they tried to shift me to yearly. In the current climate I am not sure if I would get the same result, but you might want to write in and then within the letter ask for a phone consult with diabetic nurse, this worked for me.

Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
This is just a practise protocol because they are still not open to do the review . I’ve told the woman I spoke to I want it done 6 monthly. She said she will ask my doctor . I’ve told her not to ask but to tell him zi want my tests done 6 monthly
She said she will and he will ring me . When he gets back next week

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know what it should be but for me it's around every 10 to 11 months (hospital Consultant) and then every so often the Doc chimes up and sends me off for one, one month after a hospital one. I'm not complaining but it is a bit chaotic.

jim1951

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have always assumed that the HBA1C frequency depends where you are on the spectrum i.e., if you are in "remission" your frequency would be a lot less than an individual who is not under control?

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Don't you test at home? That's a far better indication of how you are getting on than a hba1c that can be effected by a few factots xx

It needs a lot of home testing to get a result as meaningful as a A1c. Few people with type2 diabetes do that much testing.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've only ever had 2 tests, one on diagnosis and one I fought for 3 months later. After that one I was told no more for a year.

The diabetic nurse position at our surgery is vacant , and now the gp has sadly died.
I'm doing whatever I can to stay as healthy as possible:nurse:

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is just a practise protocol because they are still not open to do the review . I’ve told the woman I spoke to I want it done 6 monthly. She said she will ask my doctor . I’ve told her not to ask but to tell him zi want my tests done 6 monthly
She said she will and he will ring me . When he gets back next week
I have an annual review and a 6 monthly blood test. They might not be able to do a review but you should be able to get a blood test, maybe at a local hospital. They can give you the HbA1c over the phone if you don't have on-line access to your results.

Reactions: HSSS

Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I have an annual review and a 6 monthly blood test. They might not be able to do a review but you should be able to get a blood test, maybe at a local hospital. They can give you the HbA1c over the phone if you don't have on-line access to your results.
Yeah that’s what I’ve asked them for

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I assumed that, as I was just at the top of normal, the once a year test was the normal way it went - I have not had a test at all this summer, but I expect normal service will be resumed - there are far more urgent cases than me to be dealt with before it is too late for them.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It needs a lot of home testing to get a result as meaningful as a A1c. Few people with type2 diabetes do that much testing.
it could take as little as pre and post meal testing to still obtain a good hba1c, many things can effect a hba1c result such as anaemia etc so it isn't as conclusive as many seem to think

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Peadair - I have been on annual blood tests for a few years now. Most often, I do something privately in between times, for my own peace of mind. As I have private blood tests for another condition, it's "just one more" on the order.

If you don't get anywhere, there are a number of private outfits doing HbA1c tests, at reasonable costs - from around £29, unless you start doing multiple tests. Some providers do seem to discount additional tests, once you are already spending money with them.

My other tests usually relate to my wonky thyroid gland, and personally, I use either Medichecks or MonitorMyhealth. Medeichecks if I want to test vitamins and minerals, and MonitorMyHealth if I just want a look at my thyroid function.

Both outfits use a finger prick test (or you can choose to have a venous test, if you can get to a testing centre easily enough), so it's really easy to do, first thing in the morning, then post the package (they send everything you could need, including little plasters) on the way to work.

Recently, I did a thyroid check with MonitorMyHealth on a Monday morning, and had the results by email, by lunchtime on the Tuesday. MonitorMyHealth, although a private, paid for test, is done at the Exeter Hospital NHS lab, in their "quiet" hours. I have found them very friendly and efficient.

MonitorMyHealth - https://monitormyhealth.org.uk/
Medichecks - https://medichecks.com/products/diabetes-hba1c-blood-test
Bluehorizon - https://bluehorizonbloodtests.co.uk/products/hba1c

As you can tell, I am a happy MMH customer. That's all I am. I have no commercial interest in any of the above organisations.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi
Feedback from my type 1 friends suggests that even type 1s are on annual reviews and no face to face appointments. I am sure the NICE guidelines have been abandoned though you should still be able to request an additional test via a DSN if you are concerned but I don't know.
May be worth an investment in fsl for a 2 week spot check as it can give you 24 hour insiqhts, trend graphs and a guestimate of your likely hba1c.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I reckon my reviews have worked their way down over the last 6 years to being approximately annual now, presumably due to my results remaining fairly stable. But I tend to rely on my own glucose tests to check how I'm doing, as this way I can see what's going on on a (more or less ) day to day basis. HbA1c is simply an average which covers last 3 months only and tells ME very little, but satisfies my DN & GP.

Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Peadair - I have been on annual blood tests for a few years now. Most often, I do something privately in between times, for my own peace of mind. As I have private blood tests for another condition, it's "just one more" on the order.
Thanks for that I’ll consider it
If you don't get anywhere, there are a number of private outfits doing HbA1c tests, at reasonable costs - from around £29, unless you start doing multiple tests. Some providers do seem to discount additional tests, once you are already spending money with them.

My other tests usually relate to my wonky thyroid gland, and personally, I use either Medichecks or MonitorMyhealth. Medeichecks if I want to test vitamins and minerals, and MonitorMyHealth if I just want a look at my thyroid function.

Both outfits use a finger prick test (or you can choose to have a venous test, if you can get to a testing centre easily enough), so it's really easy to do, first thing in the morning, then post the package (they send everything you could need, including little plasters) on the way to work.

Recently, I did a thyroid check with MonitorMyHealth on a Monday morning, and had the results by email, by lunchtime on the Tuesday. MonitorMyHealth, although a private, paid for test, is done at the Exeter Hospital NHS lab, in their "quiet" hours. I have found them very friendly and efficient.

MonitorMyHealth - https://monitormyhealth.org.uk/
Medichecks - https://medichecks.com/products/diabetes-hba1c-blood-test
Bluehorizon - https://bluehorizonbloodtests.co.uk/products/hba1c

As you can tell, I am a happy MMH customer. That's all I am. I have no commercial interest in any of the above organisations.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But you said you had asked for a "review" and that involves a face to face meeting, all you need is a HbA1c blood test. I had mine recently, there is a walk in clinic for blood tests at my local hospital with special Covid precautions, maybe you can do something similar.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am the same as @Mr_Pot I have been classed as in remission since 2014. My nurse at that time told me I would be moved to annual reviews. I moaned about it to her, and suggested I have an annual review with her, but 6 monthly blood tests. She readily agreed, and this has continued ever since. This year, due to Covid, I missed my mid-term blood test in June, but that is understandable. I am not due again until December but hope the 6 monthly tests resume after that. As it happens, I am more interested in the other tests that come with it rather than the HbA1c, which doesn't mean a lot to me. (cholesterol, lipids, kidney & liver functions and full blood counts)