Home grown food oragnic

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I started growing stuff during lockdown and it was very satisfying. I had helpfully cleared an old rockery over the winter and it needed replanting. I have grown lettuce, spring onions, radishes, tomatoes in containers and hanging baskets, cucumbers against a very warm brick wall, they were funny shapes but tasted great. Started broccoli and lost half but the other half are hanging in there and just planted spinach seed a week ago. I never bothered. Before because theres only two of us and Mr PM doesnt eat veg other than peppers. I am amazed I got so much without a greenhouse.
Whatt part of the UK are you living?

Reactions: Stephanie 1233

Stephanie 1233

I live in Kent I also grow a variety of fruit trees such as pears, apples, almond nuts, hazel nuts, cherries, blueberry's, cranberries, raspberries and strawberries too :) .

Stephanie 1233

This year I have grown chard, pumpkins, chives, turnips, coriander, onions, spring onions, leeks, tomatoes and carrots.
IMG_20200814_163611.jpg
IMG_20200814_163630.jpg

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have outdoor container-grown tomatoes, peppers, chillis and aubergines and a few indoor ones in my tiny lean-to growhouse, which was a new purchase this year. I am fortunate to be down south with a south-facing garden and a sun-trap patio, but even so I’m not sure the outdoor aubergines will have enough time to fully ripen. I also have 4 small raised beds which I refurbished this year.

I have outdoor cucumbers, and tried tomatillos (of ‘Fried Green Tomatoes’ fame) - they grew fine but not to my taste, an interesting experiment. Ditto cucamelons. Okra was useless.

Loads of courgettes, which is handy cos I eat a lot of those, also dwarf french beans and runner beans, land cress, rocket, coriander, perpetual spinach, leafy salad mustards (cos I’m not a fan of lettuce), radishes. My spring onions were a dismal failure, as was kohl rabi. And the abrupt and premature end to summer round about mid-August, when all those gales battered everything, has really shortened the season for lots of things.

I have another batch of french beans ready to go in, see if they will flower and fruit before the end of the season, plus I will plant some oriental greens (mustards, pak choi , Chinese cabbage) for stir fries, cos they do better with the shortening days, apparently. I will keep just one raised bed going into autumn, I’ll mulch the others with compost and cover with membrane for the winter, hopefully they will be cat-poo free and beautiful come the spring!

I did make things much easier for myself though, I put in a simple auto-watering system for the beds, and bought a fair number of self-watering planters for most of the container-grown stuff, which has been really successful.

It’s been really nice to have a reason to get outside several times a day, what with lockdown and all.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I grow outdoor tomatoes, cucumber, runner and French beans, lettuce, spinach, courgettes, peppers and chilli's, raspberries, red and blackcurrants and a grape vine. And herbs, mint, chives, rosemary, sage, oregano

I have just bought chard seed ready for next year as there was some where we have been staying and it was lovely added young to salad. I also want to try kale.