1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Home grown food oragnic

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by Stephanie 1233, Sep 5, 2020.

1. Stephanie 1233

Stephanie 1233 · Well-Known Member

Does any one grow their own vegetables just curious ?I grow pumpkins, garlic, chard ect.

2. PenguinMum

PenguinMum Type 2 · Expert

I started growing stuff during lockdown and it was very satisfying. I had helpfully cleared an old rockery over the winter and it needed replanting. I have grown lettuce, spring onions, radishes, tomatoes in containers and hanging baskets, cucumbers against a very warm brick wall, they were funny shapes but tasted great. Started broccoli and lost half but the other half are hanging in there and just planted spinach seed a week ago. I never bothered. Before because theres only two of us and Mr PM doesnt eat veg other than peppers. I am amazed I got so much without a greenhouse.
    Whatt part of the UK are you living?

• Like Like x 1
  3. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Expert

I grow tomatoes and grapes in the greenhouse. I grow runner beans in the trenches outside, but it is not organic, as the soil is not organic.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Stephanie 1233

I live in Kent I also grow a variety of fruit trees such as pears, apples, almond nuts, hazel nuts, cherries, blueberry's, cranberries, raspberries and strawberries too :) .

5. Stephanie 1233

This year I have grown chard, pumpkins, chives, turnips, coriander, onions, spring onions, leeks, tomatoes and carrots. IMG_20200814_163611.jpg IMG_20200814_163630.jpg

• Winner Winner x 2
  6. TeddyTottie

TeddyTottie Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have outdoor container-grown tomatoes, peppers, chillis and aubergines and a few indoor ones in my tiny lean-to growhouse, which was a new purchase this year. I am fortunate to be down south with a south-facing garden and a sun-trap patio, but even so I’m not sure the outdoor aubergines will have enough time to fully ripen. I also have 4 small raised beds which I refurbished this year.

I have outdoor cucumbers, and tried tomatillos (of ‘Fried Green Tomatoes’ fame) - they grew fine but not to my taste, an interesting experiment. Ditto cucamelons. Okra was useless.

Loads of courgettes, which is handy cos I eat a lot of those, also dwarf french beans and runner beans, land cress, rocket, coriander, perpetual spinach, leafy salad mustards (cos I’m not a fan of lettuce), radishes. My spring onions were a dismal failure, as was kohl rabi. And the abrupt and premature end to summer round about mid-August, when all those gales battered everything, has really shortened the season for lots of things.

I have another batch of french beans ready to go in, see if they will flower and fruit before the end of the season, plus I will plant some oriental greens (mustards, pak choi , Chinese cabbage) for stir fries, cos they do better with the shortening days, apparently. I will keep just one raised bed going into autumn, I’ll mulch the others with compost and cover with membrane for the winter, hopefully they will be cat-poo free and beautiful come the spring!

I did make things much easier for myself though, I put in a simple auto-watering system for the beds, and bought a fair number of self-watering planters for most of the container-grown stuff, which has been really successful.

It’s been really nice to have a reason to get outside several times a day, what with lockdown and all.

• Like Like x 1
  7. MrsA2

MrsA2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I grow outdoor tomatoes, cucumber, runner and French beans, lettuce, spinach, courgettes, peppers and chilli's, raspberries, red and blackcurrants and a grape vine. And herbs, mint, chives, rosemary, sage, oregano

I have just bought chard seed ready for next year as there was some where we have been staying and it was lovely added young to salad. I also want to try kale.

• Like Like x 1
  8. rosemaree

rosemaree LADA · Well-Known Member

Wow, that sounds amazing! We have been trying to grow some of our own food for a while, but the vervet monkeys (in Durban South Africa) are an absolute nuisance - they come and take a bite out of everything, and pull up all my seedlings :(

• Like Like x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook