Cholesterol

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It usually gets done annually. If your levels are out of range your Dr might request more frequent testing. (What is considered out of range is cirtainly a point of contention on this forum as the low carb high fat diet can lead to quite high cholesterol values)

Reactions: Stephanie 1233

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It usually gets done annually. If your levels are out of range your Dr might request more frequent testing. (What is considered out of range is cirtainly a point of contention on this forum as the low carb high fat diet can lead to quite high cholesterol values)

Yep, not to mention the differences between individuals and what THEIR bodies decide it needs to function.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What is considered out of range is cirtainly a point of contention on this forum as the low carb high fat diet can lead to quite high cholesterol values)
More accurately it occasionally leads to higher ldl numbers and therefore total numbers, hdl usually rises (which is good) and triglycerides fall significantly, also good. If a dr isn’t looking at these breakdowns and ratios they aren’t trying hard enough and possibly don’t know enough.

There is scientific support for the theory that the ldl (which is calculated not measured) is predominately large buoyant particles that are protective when on low carb rather than small and dense types that are potentially damaging. This is rarely investigated at gp level.

If someone is losing significant amounts of weight - by any method - it is possible for numbers to rise temporarily. Waiting til weight is more stable is a more informative. As is fasting even though many drs don’t ask for this now to prevent missed appointments past the earliest ones in the day.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I have statin-phobia! Drinking my coffee with heavy coconut cream while typing this lol! I’m also in the process of losing fat weight. With a test coming up in just over a week, I’m worried I’ll be prescribed statins and I’ll have to be a schmuck and refuse. My last numbers were cholesterol- 4-1, HDL-C 0.9, LDL-C 2.9, Trigs 0.7.. I had been on a keto diet for about 4 weeks at testing.

I just don’t want them labeling my test tubes “the schmuck that has a medical degree from the internet “ I’ll have to make up an acronym for that.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have statin-phobia! Drinking my coffee with heavy coconut cream while typing this lol! I’m also in the process of losing fat weight. With a test coming up in just over a week, I’m worried I’ll be prescribed statins and I’ll have to be a schmuck and refuse. My last numbers were cholesterol- 4-1, HDL-C 0.9, LDL-C 2.9, Trigs 0.7.. I had been on a keto diet for about 4 weeks at testing.

I just don’t want them labeling my test tubes “the schmuck that has a medical degree from the internet “ I’ll have to make up an acronym for that.
Run some calculators on your numbers and ratios when you get the results and also the Qrisk (which is what my drs use to decide on statins). That way you’ll be armed with info before the discussion. My total, ldl and trigs were all higher than yours X as was hdl ✔️ but ratios and Qrisk good so none prescribed.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My experience with cholesterol m may interest you .When I was diagnosed with diabetes my cholesterol levels were over 7 I was preścribed statins which I (politely ) declined I started to lower my carbs and up my fats my cholesterol levels are now 5.2 all the elements of lipids are well within range but on the print out of my blood results there is a notation that I need high statins to lower my cholesterol by 40% ! .I have never had problems with the GP or nurse about my refusing to take statins .I think that the computer sees! that my levels are higher than their limit and so suggests statins
Carol

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@LaoDan: IMO one good reason for diabetics to avoid statins is that they're known to raise glucose levels, and I certainly saw a definite drop in mine as soon as I stopped taking them. Eating more fat has had very little effect on my cholesterol levels, since my body provides what i need, not my somewhat fatty diet.

An old poll on the side effects of statins makes very interesting reading too: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/poll-side-effects-from-statins.58409/

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I refuse statins and Metformin and anything else of that type of medication.
I have also quit blood pressure drugs.
Because I was tall skinny and very active my dr couldn't believe I had become T2 not a snacker or a fizzy drinks man or crisps sweets chocolate none of the usual suspects ever in my life but .... one doctor said he believed that being put on statins for no apparent reason at the same time as Gabapentin for pain is what led to me being T2.
He honestly believes I'm a medication induced diabetic.
My cholesterol levels are fine my blood pressure not bad for my age my T2 under reasonable control ever since I went low carb high fat and .... I start every day with porridge .... for cholesterol control.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I eat nuts and berries daily.

aard

My Dr tried to prescribe statins to me. The reason he gave was that the computer said that my combination of diabetes annd high cholestral gave me an 20% chance of having a stroke or heart atttack in the next 10 years.

We agreed to disagree over my taking statins but he did put a note in my medical records which made me feel like I was being marked as a difficult patient

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
My Dr tried to prescribe statins to me. The reason he gave was that the computer said that my combination of diabetes annd high cholestral gave me an 20% chance of having a stroke or heart atttack in the next 10 years.

We agreed to disagree over my taking statins but he did put a note in my medical records which made me feel like I was being marked as a difficult patient
Look on the positive side of this .... the computer says there's an 80% chance of you never having a stroke!
The kind of thing most people would like to hear I would imagine which to the way I think kind of exposes the big pharma approach to getting you to take stuff you really don't need and your doctors not noticing or going along with these scams.
What are the odds I'll die tomorrow if I go out?
What are the odds of me dying tomorrow if I stay home?
Decisions decisions should I stay or should I go .....

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Blood is drawn, I get my results in one hour. I wonder if my cholesterol is now in a super position of being both good and bad.