Mid -morning BG levels high

LucyLark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello!
I have been eating low carb for about a month now. It's going well. I am taking daily rehydration salts and keeping to below 50g carb a day.
On advice given here I've got a meter and testing strips and have tested at intervals over the last few days. So now I can see what my blood glucose is doing - and it's confusing!
So, I seem to start the day relatively low (today was 8.2: whoo hoo! Lowest of any numbers since my first blood test before diagnosis (when I borrowed my T1 son's meter and it was 16.8) and then it climbs in the morning so that round about now I am around the 11 or 12. I don't eat breakfast and only have tea until about midday (sometimes as late as 2) when I have a salad lunch.
I don't seem to spike after meals; I've been testing 2 hrs after meals and there's little difference in the figures. Presumably because they're so low in carbs?
At bedtime my levels are still about 11.
I have been feeling rotten from mid morning: lightheaded, sick, headachey, foggy. It feels like I need to eat something but my sugars are high, so I'm reluctant to. Do I need breakfast? Should I keep going as I am? I am aware that I am eating considerably fewer carbs than previously; would this be making things high?
I don't understand why it can go up midmorning when I am not eating anything.
Any suggestions as to why and what I should be doing about it?

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello!
I have been eating low carb for about a month now. It's going well. I am taking daily rehydration salts and keeping to below 50g carb a day.
On advice given here I've got a meter and testing strips and have tested at intervals over the last few days. So now I can see what my blood glucose is doing - and it's confusing!
So, I seem to start the day relatively low (today was 8.2: whoo hoo! Lowest of any numbers since my first blood test before diagnosis (when I borrowed my T1 son's meter and it was 16.8) and then it climbs in the morning so that round about now I am around the 11 or 12. I don't eat breakfast and only have tea until about midday (sometimes as late as 2) when I have a salad lunch.
I don't seem to spike after meals; I've been testing 2 hrs after meals and there's little difference in the figures. Presumably because they're so low in carbs?
At bedtime my levels are still about 11.
I have been feeling rotten from mid morning: lightheaded, sick, headachey, foggy. It feels like I need to eat something but my sugars are high, so I'm reluctant to. Do I need breakfast? Should I keep going as I am? I am aware that I am eating considerably fewer carbs than previously; would this be making things high?
I don't understand why it can go up midmorning when I am not eating anything.
Any suggestions as to why and what I should be doing about it?
Have you been tested for Type 1?

LucyLark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you been tested for Type 1?

Hi Daphne, Thank you for replying!
I don't think so, but I fit the profile for T2 so I am assuming the GP has made the call. He's happy for me to try to bring my numbers down on diet alone for 2 or 3 months. (First HbAc1 was 89, second a fortnight later was 77; at this point I'd been low carb for 3 weeks.)
In the last couple of days since I posted this, I've still been having daytime readings of 11-13, seemingly whatever I do or don't eat. Maybe it'll just take a good deal longer before I see any changes? It just puzzled me that the readings were rising even if I hadn't eaten anything, and that I was feeling so bad.

Reactions: Speedbird

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Daphne, Thank you for replying!
I don't think so, but I fit the profile for T2 so I am assuming the GP has made the call. He's happy for me to try to bring my numbers down on diet alone for 2 or 3 months. (First HbAc1 was 89, second a fortnight later was 77; at this point I'd been low carb for 3 weeks.)
In the last couple of days since I posted this, I've still been having daytime readings of 11-13, seemingly whatever I do or don't eat. Maybe it'll just take a good deal longer before I see any changes? It just puzzled me that the readings were rising even if I hadn't eaten anything, and that I was feeling so bad.

Can you give us a typical days eating.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I did not have such a high rise, but I did find that eating in the morning and evening, rather than waiting until lunch time lowered the numbers I was seeing. I only have about 10gm of carb in the morning, but it seems to flick a switch and stop the rise.

Reactions: LucyLark

LucyLark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can you give us a typical days eating.

Hi Flora,
thanks for replying!
My usual day is something like:
tea with milk first thing
coffee with milk mid morning
Lunch might be cauliflower rice and chicken curry, or mixed salad with nuts and a creamy dressing,
Usually have a late afternoon snack of something like Greek yoghurt & blueberries, or cheese & olives
Evening meal might be salmon, spinach & coleslaw, or steak and salad, or Aldi low carb noodles, veggies & a sauce

Feedback welcome!

LucyLark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks ZedZedZet & Resurgam! That's very interesting.
I am trying two small slices of homemade low carb seed toast & peanut butter this morning. My BG went up from 10.2 at 7.20am to 13.2 at 8.30am (without even having had tea) this morning. I will have to see what happens at midday after having breakfast for a change. Would really like not to be feeling so awful for so much of the day.