1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Mid -morning BG levels high

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by LucyLark, Sep 11, 2020.

1. LucyLark

LucyLark Type 2 · Member

Hello!
    I have been eating low carb for about a month now. It's going well. I am taking daily rehydration salts and keeping to below 50g carb a day.
    On advice given here I've got a meter and testing strips and have tested at intervals over the last few days. So now I can see what my blood glucose is doing - and it's confusing!
    So, I seem to start the day relatively low (today was 8.2: whoo hoo! Lowest of any numbers since my first blood test before diagnosis (when I borrowed my T1 son's meter and it was 16.8) and then it climbs in the morning so that round about now I am around the 11 or 12. I don't eat breakfast and only have tea until about midday (sometimes as late as 2) when I have a salad lunch.
    I don't seem to spike after meals; I've been testing 2 hrs after meals and there's little difference in the figures. Presumably because they're so low in carbs?
    At bedtime my levels are still about 11.
    I have been feeling rotten from mid morning: lightheaded, sick, headachey, foggy. It feels like I need to eat something but my sugars are high, so I'm reluctant to. Do I need breakfast? Should I keep going as I am? I am aware that I am eating considerably fewer carbs than previously; would this be making things high?
    I don't understand why it can go up midmorning when I am not eating anything.
    Any suggestions as to why and what I should be doing about it?

2. Daphne917

Daphne917 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Have you been tested for Type 1?

3. LucyLark

LucyLark Type 2 · Member

Hi Daphne, Thank you for replying!
    I don't think so, but I fit the profile for T2 so I am assuming the GP has made the call. He's happy for me to try to bring my numbers down on diet alone for 2 or 3 months. (First HbAc1 was 89, second a fortnight later was 77; at this point I'd been low carb for 3 weeks.)
    In the last couple of days since I posted this, I've still been having daytime readings of 11-13, seemingly whatever I do or don't eat. Maybe it'll just take a good deal longer before I see any changes? It just puzzled me that the readings were rising even if I hadn't eaten anything, and that I was feeling so bad.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Flora123

Flora123 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Can you give us a typical days eating.

5. ZedZeeZet

ZedZeeZet Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I was never a breakfast person but when I started this journey I found having a low carb breakfast, bacon and eggs etc helped to stop the morning rise in blood sugar levels or even reduced it, used to regard it as medicine :) Rarely have breakfast now as blood sugar levels don't rise anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

I did not have such a high rise, but I did find that eating in the morning and evening, rather than waiting until lunch time lowered the numbers I was seeing. I only have about 10gm of carb in the morning, but it seems to flick a switch and stop the rise.

• Like Like x 1
  7. LucyLark

LucyLark Type 2 · Member

Hi Flora,
    thanks for replying!
    My usual day is something like:
    tea with milk first thing
    coffee with milk mid morning
    Lunch might be cauliflower rice and chicken curry, or mixed salad with nuts and a creamy dressing,
    Usually have a late afternoon snack of something like Greek yoghurt & blueberries, or cheese & olives
    Evening meal might be salmon, spinach & coleslaw, or steak and salad, or Aldi low carb noodles, veggies & a sauce

Feedback welcome!

8. LucyLark

LucyLark Type 2 · Member

Thanks ZedZedZet & Resurgam! That's very interesting.
    I am trying two small slices of homemade low carb seed toast & peanut butter this morning. My BG went up from 10.2 at 7.20am to 13.2 at 8.30am (without even having had tea) this morning. I will have to see what happens at midday after having breakfast for a change. Would really like not to be feeling so awful for so much of the day.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook