Not open for further replies.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Singapore it’s mandatory outside your residence, unless you’re exercising. Any kind of covering is ok, children can wear face shields. The numbers are very low here, not sure if it’s the masks, but they’re probably making some difference.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I live in Scotland so almost everyone has to wear one basically anywhere but outside . Have my own theories on this Covid thing , I read an article about living with Covid , was quite interesting , it had one piece of data in the article saying that in the winter of 2107-2018 an extra 50, 000 people died from the flu . Hmm dunno what to say really . Well I do but best I say nowt s I might get castrated by the “ herd”
some of the deaths were due to fuel poverty and being isolated by the really, really bad winter that year and a less effective jab, so the people were, in effect, not vaccinated against the flu strain which appeared. Rather like us now with covid-19.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
It’s so hard, it’s awful to be so worried and stressed, very detrimental to anyone’s overall health. I feel today like I have hit the “lockdown wall” I just don’t want to get out of bed, do anything at all except be cocooned on my own. It’s a bit scary as it’s the total opposite of the way I am and I have never felt like this before even at some of the worst times in my life
How are you feeling lately?

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
no chance i'm exempt , but i'd never wear one , i'm not being muzzled by the controlling freaks in government .

Reactions: tina_marie

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I'm concerned about wearing a mask as I've got a latex allergy and asthma but a lot of masks I've seen don't give full details of what materials are used. Working from home for last 7wks and only out among people once a week for shopping. Do got for a local walk but get anxious when I go out so have started to use exercise bike for exercise
you're exempt with that allergy .

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Why would someone choose not to wear a mask if the government told us to?

With so many people who are asymptomatic, surely protecting others is something everyone wants to do, as we have no current way of knowing who is a carrier?
Because we should be able to make our own decisions, why should we trust government ? we need to take control of our own lives and make our decisions, if we want to go to work or out socializing and risk getting a virus that's our choice, if you and others are wearing a mask then you are safe aren't you, so why force this on others because the government tell us to, until we start standing up and making our own decisions the virus won't go away, turn off the tv and especially the news channels and that is the cure for covid .

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/high-consequence-infectious-diseases-hcid#status-of-covid-19
Status of COVID-19
As of 19 March 2020, COVID-19 is no longer considered to be a high consequence infectious disease (HCID) in the UK.

The 4 nations public health HCID group made an interim recommendation in January 2020 to classify COVID-19 as an HCID. This was based on consideration of the UK HCID criteria about the virus and the disease with information available during the early stages of the outbreak. Now that more is known about COVID-19, the public health bodies in the UK have reviewed the most up to date information about COVID-19 against the UK HCID criteria. They have determined that several features have now changed; in particular, more information is available about mortality rates (low overall), and there is now greater clinical awareness and a specific and sensitive laboratory test, the availability of which continues to increase.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@WackyJacky64

Typhoid Mary?

Do you just choose to step out into a busy main road, do you ignore red lights when driving or do you just shrug it off if someone burgles your house because thy chose to, do you try to control your blood sugars because if you don't care about your own health and that of others why should any one consider you or your needs we live under rules and laws for the protection of society any thing else is anarchy and the total selfishness of I will do exactly as I please and to the nether word with every one else.

Reactions: Diane fluteplayer

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How are you feeling lately?
Aw thank you for asking :) - I’m ok now - back to my normal self, it was just a little blip more like lockdown burn out, I think most people went through it one way or another. Now I’m getting out just that little bit more and getting some time away from my son who I love and adore with all my heart but is very high maintenance and challenging, more with his serious mental health issues than his autism - I love him so much and would take a bullet for him but you just can’t deal with someone like him 24/7 with no outlet and it not affect your own mental health - but I’m good now and I hope you are too.

thank you so much for asking, it means a lot :) xxx

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Because we should be able to make our own decisions, why should we trust government ? we need to take control of our own lives and make our decisions, if we want to go to work or out socializing and risk getting a virus that's our choice, if you and others are wearing a mask then you are safe aren't you, so why force this on others because the government tell us to, until we start standing up and making our own decisions the virus won't go away, turn off the tv and especially the news channels and that is the cure for covid .

As @JohnEGreen it's your right to walk out in front of a bus anytime, I would not recommend it though.
What don't you understand about risk to others. If you behave in any way that could increase the spread of the virus you are putting other people at risk, through no fault of their own. Wearing a mask has little to do with protecting yourself, it is to do with protecting others from the wearer, especially if they are asymptotic.
As a diabetic, have you followed government advice and had a flu jab in the past?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you need to read up on what mask wearing does.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/high-consequence-infectious-diseases-hcid#status-of-covid-19
Status of COVID-19
As of 19 March 2020, COVID-19 is no longer considered to be a high consequence infectious disease (HCID) in the UK.

The 4 nations public health HCID group made an interim recommendation in January 2020 to classify COVID-19 as an HCID. This was based on consideration of the UK HCID criteria about the virus and the disease with information available during the early stages of the outbreak. Now that more is known about COVID-19, the public health bodies in the UK have reviewed the most up to date information about COVID-19 against the UK HCID criteria. They have determined that several features have now changed; in particular, more information is available about mortality rates (low overall), and there is now greater clinical awareness and a specific and sensitive laboratory test, the availability of which continues to increase.
Did you notice the date on your quote? Before the virus was understood and the first wave hit?

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think you need to read up on what mask wearing does.
Out of interest what you do you think mask wearing does? I am talking cloth masks that most people wear and not surgical ones and I've yet to see anyone produce a community based study showing how they help.
Because of this I choose not to and resent the mandatory nature of it and now the risk of a hefty fine and the attention of a marshal or worse still a soldier as is being threatened!
If I wear a mask it means I am going a long with the big lie that Covid is somehow as dangerous as typhoid for 99.6% of the population and that all of this mitigation is necessary and not extremely harmful for both our lives and livelihoods.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Did you notice the date on your quote? Before the virus was understood and the first wave hit?
Prior to this date the WHO was quoting case fatality rates of 3-4%! This would indeed have necessitated draconian measures. By March we knew that the cfr was much lower for the vast majority of people. Even Chris Whitty's dire predictions are based on a rate of 0.4% case fatality.
Not saying it isn't a disease of high consequence if you are over 80 with other complications but this is why the disease was re classified and why the classification hasn't changed.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The OP started this thread before wearing masks in public was mandatory in England.

I am appalled that there are people out there who won't do such a little thing to save others. Selfish beyond belief.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
The OP started this thread before wearing masks in public was mandatory in England.

I am appalled that there are people out there who won't do such a little thing to save others. Selfish beyond belief.

I agree completely. Totally selfish.

Reactions: Evie-D and zand
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Totally agree with you. Wearing a mask may not be 100%, effective but surely it's far better than not wearing one and I will continue to wear one, for my safety and sanity and the safety of other's.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As @JohnEGreen it's your right to walk out in front of a bus anytime, I would not recommend it though.
What don't you understand about risk to others. If you behave in any way that could increase the spread of the virus you are putting other people at risk, through no fault of their own. Wearing a mask has little to do with protecting yourself, it is to do with protecting others from the wearer, especially if they are asymptotic.
As a diabetic, have you followed government advice and had a flu jab in the past?

Hmm, walking out in front of a vehicle can cause emotional trauma to some drivers that they may have maimed or killed the pedestrian..

I see mask wearing a little like promoting the use of condoms. Some folk will feel STDs do not apply to them. Maybe they feel certain viruses do not affect their "demographic.?" Maybe they feel certain orientations are not a risk in the casual multiple encounters..
Condoms reduce the risk. If used properly. However you play.
Of course, it is a private choice? A partner can tell you that "it's OK, i take oral contraception.." I've known a few guys get caught out on that one too.. o_O;)

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmm, walking out in front of a vehicle can cause emotional trauma to some drivers that they may have maimed or killed the pedestrian..
Yes, poor example, for as you note the consequences for the drivers is forever.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Because we should be able to make our own decisions, why should we trust government ?

Look where that's getting us. If those decisions only affected us that's fair enough, but they don't, that decision not to wear a mask affects everybody around us. There a alternatives to masks and I've met several people wearing visors. Might not be as good as a mask, but it's a start. Agree on government, they're a bunch of muppets.

Status
Not open for further replies.