Newly DIAGNOSED

NikHeidi91

Hi my 5 year old daughters just been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, honestly cannot believe it were so shocked but managing! But just know.so little about trying to manage BG as keeps going sky high shes a really fussy eater. Just wondering if anybody has any advice on foods and snacks???

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@LooperCat @Juicyj @Diakat @Japes
should be better at this

Proteins won't change blood sugar levels as much, although something really high in protein and with no carbs can cause a spike too. Peanut Butter, almond butter on celery or apple slices. Berries are great. Almost all veggies, except for starchy veggies are pretty good about being lower carb so don't cause as much of a spike. Whole grains, like whole wheat pasta, whole grain bread instead of white bread will cause less of an issue but do still have carbs. Cheese of course is low carb for the most part. There are some higher protein breads, crackers that are available in the US now, Not sure about the UK.

Unsweetened coconut flakes, Cocoa powder covered nuts (HU makes some delicious ones) Also think of whole fruits, not juices.

Given that, she can have carbs, I eat what I want. The trick is learning to dose for them. Carb counting and learning dosing takes some time. A lot of us prebolus, but with a child and a picky eater you can't guarantee they will eat so that is going to be very hard to do and probably not the best thing right now., so I'd avoid that.

You might have to introduce small amounts until she gets used to eating some different foods. I once read where it can take some toddlers 15 attempts at putting a new food on their plate before they will try it. But she can keep eating her normal foods, it's really a dosing issue. It's just fruit juices and cupcakes cause much more of an issue with controlling blood sugars, so you kind of learn to be more careful about how much they eat of it.

Of a second note, Always carry wherever she goes a quick sugar source, just in case. Juice, jelly bellies, skittles. The most important thing to make sure of.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi my 5 year old daughters just been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, honestly cannot believe it were so shocked but managing! But just know.so little about trying to manage BG as keeps going sky high shes a really fussy eater. Just wondering if anybody has any advice on foods and snacks???
Hi @NikHeidi91 , and welcome to the forum!
Must have been a right shock, such a diagnosis!

As for food and snacks, for starters I wouldn't change much at all right after diagnosis, except maybe cut out sugary treats if she has them regularly.
Are you keeping a food and blood sugar diary to go over with her team to learn to adjust her insulin doses?
What kind of treatment does she have now? Does she takes fixed doses per meal or are you already counting the carbs and dose according to that?

If you tell us a bit more we can give you more specific answers.

In the mean time, have a hug, it's a big transition in your life! But you'll get there, and there is no need to learn everything at once!

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for the tag @Marie 2 and welcome to the forum @NikHeidi91. Sorry about your daughter's diagnosis. It is a massive shock!

I agree with @Antje77 - don't change much at the moment, as the diabetes team will be trying to work out the right doses right now. But, do keep a food diary to show her team, and work with them. They'll be used to fussy eater and can help!! (The dietician decided I was fussy aged 52! I just have, um, clear preferences as well as being vegetarian, I'd been sticking only to what didn't send my blood sugars wild. Long story!)

I work with young adults, rather than children, and my understanding from the parents of T1 offspring is that blood sugars are more likely to be all over the place with small children and it takes time to settle down with it all.

Reactions: Marie 2 and Antje77

Rockknocker

Hello @NikHeidi91!

When my son was diagnosed around that age, we had the same issues with blood sugar skyrocketing when he ate and plummeting when we dosed insulin. With a body that small, the lightest dose of insulin can send blood sugar down by hundreds.

As others have indicated, you will get better and more confident at this with time. You will learn how your child's blood sugar reacts to different foods and be able to pick snacks accordingly. It won't be easy, but it will be ok.

The biggest thing my wife and I learned was not to panic with every low and every high. At this age, she will go low, and she will go high. I don't think this can be easily avoided. You will need to respond to each low she experiences calmly by following the steps your doctor recommended and not jumping the gun when it feels like her blood sugar isn't responding fast enough.

My son never seemed to react to his blood sugar level at that age. He behaved the same and said he felt the same whether his blood sugar level was 40 or 400. My wife and I were not so calm....

Reactions: Marie 2