Type 2 diabetic (kind of)

Brokenbill

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just been reading through the thread and it's very informative and i hope you are doing well @Humminglime. the one thing that sticks out the the angel delight in the cupboard, i too have a stash of them and i'm 50/50 what to do with them xD

Reactions: Humminglime

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Got my test results both 48 mmol/mol

So, this is barely in the diabetic range, which starts at 48. This probably makes T1 less likely. A few tweaks in your diet is probably all you need to get back to normal.

Humminglime

So, this is barely in the diabetic range, which starts at 48. This probably makes T1 less likely. A few tweaks in your diet is probably all you need to get back to normal.
So really I just need to adjust my diet and find one that is the best fit for my body using low carb diets? I've found so far to get my blood sugars into a normal range I need to be eating little to no carbs
So if I can keep them towards the lower end I can have "naughty" food as a treat every now and then? Like birthday cake! Or cream tea

Brokenbill

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
oh tell me about it, strawberry flavour with chocolate buttons on top <3 haha

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So really I just need to adjust my diet and find one that is the best fit for my body using low carb diets? I've found so far to get my blood sugars into a normal range I need to be eating little to no carbs
So if I can keep them towards the lower end I can have "naughty" food as a treat every now and then? Like birthday cake! Or cream tea

Maybe, however I would still watch the portion size. This having been said, your meter is the best indicator of what your body can tolerate (as is often said on here, we are all different -- which makes it difficult to generalize).

Humminglime

Maybe, however I would still watch the portion size. This having been said, your meter is the best indicator of what your body can tolerate (as is often said on here, we are all different -- which makes it difficult to generalize).
I'll carry on testing and see what are good and work for me and try and keep my numbers down! Just need to be more mindful of what I eat!

Humminglime

Update!

I had a call from the gp nurse saying that my sugar levels aren't damaging me at all and I shouldn't be too worried about the diabeties it's just a case of managing it and monitoring it for now. Nurse isn't too impressed about tester or the keto diet and says I need to eat carbs still. I said it raises my sugar levels so i dont want to damage my body. She was very defensive about previous visits with other nurses and confirmed I am diabetic. Tried to tell me the last nurse told me this but i told her that she said I needed to wait 3 months and do another test to see and then the retinopathy optician told me.
She told me the retinopathy isn't anything to worry about and my sugar levels were just too high before..
She's cancelled my blood test for next week and told me to come back in December..
Over all she was very dismissive of the diagnosis and said she would see me face to face December to discuss the findings and what happens next so at least that's something!

Humminglime

Oh and she also said that the keto diet and similar diets aren't sustainable long term or suitable for a regular diet..? Which.. doesn't make any sense to me

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
whether keto ( or Low Carb) is sustainable depends upon whether you feel it suits your needs. There are a multitude of different styles of Low Carb, I found that my BG Meter was telling me I needed to go quite low but not necessarily as low as to be in permanent ketosis so I eat between 20gms and 40gms of carbs most days - sometimes less.

I would agree that any very low calorie diet is unsustainable, but nobody expects them to be since they are meant only for the short term, after which the dieter is expected to have suddenly developed a healthy 'way of eating' for themselves.

For me as a thin outside fat inside (TOFI) T2 diabetic I didn't feel I needed to lose much weight, so rather than damage my resting metabolic rate by using calorie restriction I adopted Low Carb as a Way Of Eating (WOE). There are people in this forum who have been Low Carbing / Keto for over 5years and are in better health than for decades. There is nothing unsustainable about that!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh and she also said that the keto diet and similar diets aren't sustainable long term or suitable for a regular diet..? Which.. doesn't make any sense to me
Outrageous response. No wonder diabetes is the issue it is.

it may not be sustainable for her but suitably motivated with a diagnosis ( even such a poorly informed one such as yours) she might not find it so hard. She is being huge,y judgemental and assuming the **** she has been fed by dinosaur like sources is accurate.

your meter is not subjective, it doesn’t not have opinions, it does not judge. It shows you FACTS about what your blood glucose is doing. That along with a food diary is unarguable.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Update!

I had a call from the gp nurse saying that my sugar levels aren't damaging me at all and I shouldn't be too worried about the diabeties it's just a case of managing it and monitoring it for now. Nurse isn't too impressed about tester or the keto diet and says I need to eat carbs still. I said it raises my sugar levels so i dont want to damage my body. She was very defensive about previous visits with other nurses and confirmed I am diabetic. Tried to tell me the last nurse told me this but i told her that she said I needed to wait 3 months and do another test to see and then the retinopathy optician told me.
She told me the retinopathy isn't anything to worry about and my sugar levels were just too high before..
She's cancelled my blood test for next week and told me to come back in December..
Over all she was very dismissive of the diagnosis and said she would see me face to face December to discuss the findings and what happens next so at least that's something!

Your nurse is sadly lacking in knowledge. That attitude of hers is a big problem, you clearly are not getting the support or the advice or knowledge needed to help you.

You'll do far better listening to the people here who live with this condition and manage it brilliantly, because they have the experience and knowledge accumulated over years of actually understanding what is the right course. You can't beat actual real life 24/7 experience, it trumps outdated and ignorant advice and unhelpful people like the nurse you have been sadly lumped with.

Going low carb is certainly the first step... track your food diary and glucose results by testing. Low carb or keto works so well for so many. You've received plenty of good advice so far. Good luck to you.

Schmoukes

Yep. Took me about 4 yrs numerous gp visits and couple of ambulance runs the pain was so bad. Eventually I worked it out and asked a locum is it gallbladder and he said yes probably let’s get a scan..... Most outlandish suggestion from A&E I got was a torn rotator cuff. No idea how that would cause a similar pain

That was my experience too! The pain from gallbladder disease is often not in the same place as your gallbladder. That seems to utterly befuddle doctors. My hairdresser hit on the right diagnosis!! I have also had no problems going on a low carb diet without a gallbladder. I limit myself to 20g a day to keep my blood sugars stable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A number of posts have been deleted for derailing the thread. Please bear in mind the original post when responding.

Humminglime

Outrageous response. No wonder diabetes is the issue it is.

it may not be sustainable for her but suitably motivated with a diagnosis ( even such a poorly informed one such as yours) she might not find it so hard. She is being huge,y judgemental and assuming the **** she has been fed by dinosaur like sources is accurate.

your meter is not subjective, it doesn’t not have opinions, it does not judge. It shows you FACTS about what your blood glucose is doing. That along with a food diary is unarguable.
I felt very bullied after this phone call. When I told her I was worried about going blind she actually laughed at me and told me I won't go blind my sugars aren't high enough.. I was trying to explain I wanted to nip this in the bud now so i didn't reap it in the future and she actually laughed at me..

Humminglime

That was my experience too! The pain from gallbladder disease is often not in the same place as your gallbladder. That seems to utterly befuddle doctors. My hairdresser hit on the right diagnosis!! I have also had no problems going on a low carb diet without a gallbladder. I limit myself to 20g a day to keep my blood sugars stable.
I had the pain in the middle of my ribs where they dont meet. Where you diaphragm was. I had so many miss diagnoses and a lot of gps settled on muscle pain..

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I felt very bullied after this phone call. When I told her I was worried about going blind she actually laughed at me and told me I won't go blind my sugars aren't high enough.. I was trying to explain I wanted to nip this in the bud now so i didn't reap it in the future and she actually laughed at me..
If I was made to feel that way I’d be making a complaint to the practice. Is she actually a diabetes nurse or a practice nurse given the job of handling type 2? Some of the latter really don’t get a lot of training at all medically and obviously not enough in the people skills department in this case.