Type 2 diabetic (kind of)

Humminglime

If I was made to feel that way I’d be making a complaint to the practice. Is she actually a diabetes nurse or a practice nurse given the job of handling type 2? Some of the latter really don’t get a lot of training at all medically and obviously not enough in the people skills department in this case.

She’s supposedly the head diabetic nurse for the practise.. I just felt so deflated and fed up by the end of the call. I just feel like I’m getting little to no help even though I may only just be diabetic I’m still diabetic and surely its better to get it sorted now than leaving it until it starts causing real problems and other medical issues.

When I told I felt I was getting no help she was very offended and became very defensive saying she personally gave me leaflets and advice.. I said the leaflets weren’t much help and I hadn’t been given much info.. she insinuated I was lying about how the other nurse treated me also.. I was thinking about making a complaint but didn’t want to seem dramatic or making a big deal over it..

Humminglime

Does nylons know how how your sugars have to get to start causing damage, I’m finding conflicting information online.
My sugars have been in range for a week now and I tried a panini while out, usually I’m very low carbs or try to be as I find carbs have more affect than sugar for me. And I felt awful about and hour later. Sugars were 12.8, I was struggling to stay awake, felt sick, had eye pain and stomach pain.. has some pepperami as I’ve found that lowers my sugars well and I started to feel better but just wondering where the cut off point is as I’m trying to find foods I can eat and sometime hit a sugar bomb and worry this will cause more damage.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Humminglime,

A one of spike of 12.8 shouldn't do much damage. It is spiking like this constantly, which will do damage in the long-term.

If you are interested in the science behind this, I suggest Jenny Ruhl's website bloodsugar101.com -- which is really an excellent resource.

Reactions: Humminglime

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you are interested in the science behind this, I suggest Jenny Ruhl's website bloodsugar101.com -- which is really an excellent resource.
I agree. Or even splash out on one of her books. I heartily recommend "Your Diabetes Questions Answered". I find her a gentle, sane and comforting mentor in the confusing world of diabetes. Also maybe consult Dr Richard K. Bernstein on his site, where you can read long extracts from his classic book "Diabetes Solution" free: http://www.diabetes-book.com/read-online-diabetes-solution/ He has also recorded myriad videos on Youtube and to this day (age 85) offers a monthly Q&A session. I do prefer by far authors on diabetes who are themselves diabetic. Ruhl (now well over 70) is T2, and Dr B T1, though as a diabetes doctor he still treats both 1 and 2. Many find Dr B too perfectionist, but (in me at least) his expertise, and his survival, inspire great confidence.

Humminglime

In my quest to find what I can and can't eat I've found I can have a small amount of sweet potato fries but normal fries are very off limit! I was 14.8 at 9pm (started at 6.4) after trying a small amount of normal fries today and now just tested again 8.4. This is the fastest drop I've seen. Is it normal for your sugars to drop quickly? As normally it takes over night to reduce them if theyre quite high? - Sorry if that's a silly question

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
In my quest to find what I can and can't eat I've found I can have a small amount of sweet potato fries but normal fries are very off limit! I was 14.8 at 9pm (started at 6.4) after trying a small amount of normal fries today and now just tested again 8.4. This is the fastest drop I've seen. Is it normal for your sugars to drop quickly? As normally it takes over night to reduce them if theyre quite high? - Sorry if that's a silly question

How high your BG levels go after a meal, how long it takes to reach a peak and how fast they drop after that peak are all dependent upon how your individual digestion and hormone regulation systems work as well as what you ate, how much you ate, what you ate it with (e.g. fats tend to slow the digestion of carbs, proteins take much longer to digest than carbs or fats) and when you ate it.

However it isn't unusual for a Type 2 Diabetic to have their BGs drop very hard and fast (though not to hypo levels unless on Insulin or insulin producing medication) after suffering a high BG spike. Look at it like this:
Because of 'Insulin Resistance' it takes longer for your Pancreas to produce enough Insulin to control the BG fast enough to compete with the rate at which the digestive process ids raising it. Eventually the amount of insulin overwhelms the insulin resistance threshold - so the BG starts to drop, but it then can drop faster than the Insulin tap is turned off, so the BG can overshoots in both directions.
A reasonable analogy is a blocked hosepipe or a ketchup bottle. Once the pressure is high enough to force through the blockage you may not be able react fast enough to avoid getting more than you wanted!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How high your BG levels go after a meal, how long it takes to reach a peak and how fast they drop after that peak are all dependent upon how your individual digestion and hormone regulation systems work as well as what you ate, how much you ate, what you ate it with (e.g. fats tend to slow the digestion of carbs, proteins take much longer to digest than carbs or fats) and when you ate it.

However it isn't unusual for a Type 2 Diabetic to have their BGs drop very hard and fast (though not to hypo levels unless on Insulin or insulin producing medication) after suffering a high BG spike. Look at it like this:
Because of 'Insulin Resistance' it takes longer for your Pancreas to produce enough Insulin to control the BG fast enough to compete with the rate at which the digestive process ids raising it. Eventually the amount of insulin overwhelms the insulin resistance threshold - so the BG starts to drop, but it then can drop faster than the Insulin tap is turned off, so the BG can overshoots in both directions.
A reasonable analogy is a blocked hosepipe or a ketchup bottle. Once the pressure is high enough to force through the blockage you may not be able react fast enough to avoid getting more than you wanted!
On the couple of times I’ve indulged and been brave enough to test and see the damage it’s almost always been followed by lower than normal numbers

Humminglime

On the couple of times I’ve indulged and been brave enough to test and see the damage it’s almost always been followed by lower than normal numbers
Am i correct in saying as a rule of thumb when Indulging I shouldn't go above 10mmol?
Because half a wrap takes me up to 9.3.. so carbs just really aren't the way for me
I had a very small scone and cream, no jam and I went from 6.4 to 9.6

Humminglime

Thanks for explaining that, I didn't realise this could happen. I've been finding that pepperami really brings my sugar down so when its been high I'll have one and BG just shoots down!

Humminglime

Hello! Popping back in here, I’ve recently found out that if I eat carbs it spikes my sugars higher than if I eat sugar. For example chocolate spikes me only a little but donuts will spike me over 7mmol.. Has anyone else found this or know why this could be?

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello! Popping back in here, I’ve recently found out that if I eat carbs it spikes my sugars higher than if I eat sugar. For example chocolate spikes me only a little but donuts will spike me over 7mmol.. Has anyone else found this or know why this could be?
Carbs turn into glucose. That’s why so many on here suggest a low carb diet. It takes out a lot of foods unfortunately but it’s needed to keep our levels down

I have stopped looking at sugar, purely the level of carbs in foods.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sugar is a carb.
How many grams of carbs did you eat with the chocolate, and how many grams of carbs did you eat with the donuts?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Humminglime - Quite a few people have commented that they have a bit of a personal blood sugar rocket fuel.

For some it's potato, for some, rice, for some sugar, and some flour and baked goods. And of course, for some it's just "all carbs".

This is where blood sugar monitoring comes into it's own, giving clues to the puzzles.