Type 2 diabetic (kind of)

Humminglime

I never use my thumbs. In the first few weeks I managed to get one very sore and swollen and it put me off them. It also got me to educate myself how to test for least pain.
Being well hydrated really makes a difference. Warm hands are really helpful, only prick at the edges, never the middle of the fingerprint or on the top tip. If you’re a slow bleeder massage finger from palm to tip a few times before pricking, then wait a moment before activating your strip so blood is ready and you aren’t panicking and squeezing the tip (not recommended for pain after or quality of sample). Use a different finger or part of the finger each time and have a scheme to rotate it so you don’t stab the sam done all the time. If you have a particularly tricky one you have enough to skip it.
I wont be using my thumb anymore it was very painful!! And didn't bleed much
I find my ring finger doesn't hurt at all and pours blood, first finger hurts and doesn't bleed and middle finger bleeds but hurts! Haven't braved the pinky yet

A route sounds like a good idea! I keep going back to the ring finger and it's got lots of little red dots on it not sure that's a good thing!

Humminglime

Hi all, just a quick update got my lowest reading tonight after trying the philly steak meal from diet doctor at 6.9!! I’m chuffed!

I do have a few questions, is it normal I haven’t been put on metformin or any medication? Or have I just been completely neglected, been reading other posts and seems most that are diagnosed are put on meds?
I’d rather avoid mets where I can but just wondered..

And I’ve switch over to Splenda, thoughts?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I don’t like Greek yogurt on it’s on so I’ve been adding a little honey but I’ve been told that’s really bad for us too :( I’ll have to look for another alternative!

Just add berries (you can heat frozen ones in the microwave or use fresh in summer) and you won't need any honey.

Reactions: Humminglime

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, just a quick update got my lowest reading tonight after trying the philly steak meal from diet doctor at 6.9!! I’m chuffed!

I do have a few questions, is it normal I haven’t been put on metformin or any medication? Or have I just been completely neglected, been reading other posts and seems most that are diagnosed are put on meds?

Yes it’s normal for people to get a trial of diet first before meds are added unless numbers are very very high and sometimes even then.

splenda isn’t good imo. It is mixed with maltodextrin which can still causes spikes (unless it’s the liquid one). Check the ingredients on any sweetener for this or dextrose. And have a look at https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto/sweeteners

brilliant the numbers are coming under control as you learn about the food effects.

Craigmartin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Just reread your thread and it does sound like your care team leaves alot to be desired. Did you get your H1 result ever? The numbers you have achieved without any medication show how it can be done. Splenda I switched to and found it didn't affect my BG but I read different sweeteners can affect people differently after using gradually less and less i use none now so it was a good tool for me. Looking back at the start of your journey i read about the op and infection etc and all that can cause chaos with bloods.Time to get stern with your Doctor/Practice. Politely demand tests and proper diagnosis as you are still somewhat in the dark and been left without guidance. Others on here will know more about this but like i said I'd be insisting on full range of tests.

Humminglime

Just reread your thread and it does sound like your care team leaves alot to be desired. Did you get your H1 result ever? The numbers you have achieved without any medication show how it can be done. Splenda I switched to and found it didn't affect my BG but I read different sweeteners can affect people differently after using gradually less and less i use none now so it was a good tool for me. Looking back at the start of your journey i read about the op and infection etc and all that can cause chaos with bloods.Time to get stern with your Doctor/Practice. Politely demand tests and proper diagnosis as you are still somewhat in the dark and been left without guidance. Others on here will know more about this but like i said I'd be insisting on full range of tests.
I will have to see if I can get my results as gp are being very difficult.
There feedback was eat more cabbage and exercise and that'll be fine. So not sure they even know what they're talking about! One nurse refused to believe I could be diabetic!
I'll have to push harder and see.

I'm try with my diet but my levies were 6.9 before bed and now 8.5 now I've woken up??? How can that even go up so much in my sleep?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There feedback was eat more cabbage and exercise and that'll be fine. So not sure they even know what they're talking about! One nurse refused to believe I could be diabetic!

I'm try with my diet but my levies were 6.9 before bed and now 8.5 now I've woken up??? How can that even go up so much in my sleep?

Have a google for 'diabetic dawn phenomenon', or search the forum for 'dawn phenomenon' and you should get an explanation of the hormonal stuff that means our blood glucose fluctuates over night and often rises in the morning, to prep us for the coming day.

Humminglime

Bit of an update!
I've requested my results and turns out I've only had 2 of the h things blood tests and a glucose test. They were a bit funny about giving me the results but receptionist said eventually shed print them for me to collect tomorrow!
I've asked to be referred but not sure how that's going, going in for a new h thing test next Tuesday! And ive asked for a nurse to call and discuss my diagnosis and explained the optician diagnosed me. Also wanted to talk about the retinopathy!

Thanks for all your support guys! I had no idea I could request my medical results like that! I'll pair an update when I get them!

Craigmartin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bit of an update!
I've requested my results and turns out I've only had 2 of the h things blood tests and a glucose test. They were a bit funny about giving me the results but receptionist said eventually shed print them for me to collect tomorrow!
I've asked to be referred but not sure how that's going, going in for a new h thing test next Tuesday! And ive asked for a nurse to call and discuss my diagnosis and explained the optician diagnosed me. Also wanted to talk about the retinopathy!

Thanks for all your support guys! I had no idea I could request my medical results like that! I'll pair an update when I get them!

It does feel like pinning down a doctor and getting an appointment is harder than ever and Covid has given them more excuse to palm off with phone consultation and that's after a half hour wait to get through and book one for a week later. Trying to steer you to online form then again a phone consultation a week later. Dont get me wrong I know the NHS is under stress but my GPs has become impenetrable

Craigmartin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

As Brunneria says it's just a natural thing and even though i am now in 5s and 6s during the day and even after meals i still read 7s and 8s first thing in morning which keeps your 3 month average higher than expected. I read that this takes a fair while to calm down as you get your numbers under control

Humminglime

It does feel like pinning down a doctor and getting an appointment is harder than ever and Covid has given them more excuse to palm off with phone consultation and that's after a half hour wait to get through and book one for a week later. Trying to steer you to online form then again a phone consultation a week later. Dont get me wrong I know the NHS is under stress but my GPs has become impenetrable
You're telling me! It's been so incredibly difficult to get answer and appointments from my gp and they dont care when you complain either. They just palm you off for a phone consultation
Since lowering my carbs I've dropped in sugar numbers but watch my gp say I should eat less carbs. They've advised my nan TO eat carbs!!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You're telling me! It's been so incredibly difficult to get answer and appointments from my gp and they dont care when you complain either. They just palm you off for a phone consultation
Since lowering my carbs I've dropped in sugar numbers but watch my gp say I should eat less carbs. They've advised my nan TO eat carbs!!
If they tell you to eat carbs ignore them. Come back here instead. Well do that anyway after you’ve got more information and we’ll help you sort it.

TypeZero.

Hi, I've been on a bit of a journey and I'm feeling well, completely and totally overwhelmed if im honest.
I'm just looking for help, advice, guidance anything really.

I have known i was pre diabetic since September last year or so. I then had my gallbladder out over Christmas and ended up with a huge infection, took over 2 months to heal from the key hole surgery and narrowly missed a 2nd one.
March time I had a pre diabetic blood test and was told my sugars were too high, did a fasting one a week later and was told I'm showing diabetic signs, sugar is far too high. I was told to eat more cabbage and exercise more and that was it, come back for blood tests every 3 months.
Fast forward to now and 2 more tests showing diabetics sugar levels, the nurse won't diagnose me with diabetes and keeps skirting around my question of am I diabetic or not. One nurse even told me I definitely wasn't diabetic and all the symptoms I'm getting (classic too low too high symptoms) could be anything and everyone feels funny if they have too much sugar... point blank told me I'm too young to get diabetes, that people my age don't get it!! (25F). Diabeties runs in my family as well which she refused.

So i get a letter to go for a diabetic retinopathy eye test? Around August time. I've gone, asked why I was there as I'm not diagnosed diabetic and gp won't dignose me. Poor optician is baffled and awkwardly breaks the news that I AM type 2 diabetic and I'm on the diabeties register that's why I'm having this test.

So now I've been diagnosed by an optician who then told me I have the first stages of diabetic retinopathy. Great! Can't get an appointment with the gp either. Who still havent gone my most recent blood test..

So I've been trying to eat healthy, eating more of a keto diet to reduce sugar and carbs. I've even gone and got a blood tester and my sugars are so high. I'm never usually below 7.5. Anything I eat I'm 12+ I was 16.9 the other night but felt completely fine?
I feel like I can't eat anything as sugar level goes up, if I don't eat sugar goes up. I'm starting to dread eating and feel guilty when I do eat and I used to be a massive foody. I used to love trying new food and honestly my life revolved around food. I love to cook and feed people, I loved to enjoy it together but now I'm afraid to eat things to the point I'm not enjoying food anymore.
I'm terrified of going blind, that's always been the one thing I was afraid of.
Gp is no help and I'm sinking. I just don't know what to do.
Any advice?

Thanks x

I think many healthcare professionals struggle to break free of a stereotype they’ve been continuously force-fed. Not all type 1s are children and young adults just like not all type 2s are OAPs.

Type 2 diabetes is a progressive disease that worsens over time. Usually it would take years for someone to go 16mmol/L or even higher. Over the years your postprandial glucose would creep up and up if you did nothing to slow it’s progression.

However I think there is a possibility that you may have a type 1 diagnosis which should definitely be considered.

Type 1 diabetes is a more rapid disease where your blood sugar rises within weeks or months as your immune system destroys insulin-producing cells.

I’m a type 1 diabetic so I don’t really know the procedures for a type 2 but I assume you can get your GP to refer you to a diabetes consultant. From there onwards you can get a blood glucose meter, test then upload your blood glucose results to a website called Diasend, there’s an option to share the data with your clinic. Once you have done this they can see your blood sugars. The diabetes consultant should be able to prescribe either insulin or oral anti-diabetic medicine depending on how much insulin you are producing

Humminglime

I think many healthcare professionals struggle to break free of a stereotype they’ve been continuously force-fed. Not all type 1s are children and young adults just like not all type 2s are OAPs.

Type 2 diabetes is a progressive disease that worsens over time. Usually it would take years for someone to go 16mmol/L or even higher. Over the years your postprandial glucose would creep up and up if you did nothing to slow it’s progression.

However I think there is a possibility that you may have a type 1 diagnosis which should definitely be considered.

Type 1 diabetes is a more rapid disease where your blood sugar rises within weeks or months as your immune system destroys insulin-producing cells.

I’m a type 1 diabetic so I don’t really know the procedures for a type 2 but I assume you can get your GP to refer you to a diabetes consultant. From there onwards you can get a blood glucose meter, test then upload your blood glucose results to a website called Diasend, there’s an option to share the data with your clinic. Once you have done this they can see your blood sugars. The diabetes consultant should be able to prescribe either insulin or oral anti-diabetic medicine depending on how much insulin you are producing
I have another diabetes blood test next Tuesday so I'm definitely going to be asking to be tested for type 1 diabetes and to be referred to a diabetes clinic/ doctor as i can't leave this untreated especially as I've already developed diabetic retinopathy in the space of 9 months. I've also asked for my results to be given to me tomorrow so I'll have them printed!

What are the main differences in type 1 and 2? Other than insulin dependency?

I have just had a reading of 6.2! My lowest yet and that's with cutting out carbs almost completely. I've had some natural peanut butter today, maybe about 2 tea spoons. Which i estimate to be about 3g and that is all.

Humminglime

Hello all!
As my other note says I've just had a reading of 6.2! I'm chuffed if im honest! And just a little shocked just HOW much carbs were affecting me. If there was any doubt in what you lovely people were telling me it's definitely gone now!!

I've found some own brand angel delight in the cupboard, it has 13g of carbs per 100g and I think it was 8g or 9g of which sugars. Is this safe to eat?
What am I looking to keep my carbs under in a whole meal and a day because currently I'm just aiming for as low as possible and find I'm getting peckish around 10pm. Currently I've been ignoring it and then eating in the morning but I used to love having a little angel delight!

Thanks

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a very definite type two, and very sensitive to carbs. I can keep my BG down just by eating low carb.
Desserts I have made are using sugar free jelly or gelatine.
I often have jelly with frozen berries and cream, but I have made jellies with yoghurt of cream whipped in as it is just thinking about setting - that makes it all frothy.
I make real custard with cream and eggs, and real ice cream by freezing the real custard - I add things for flavour very ad lib.
To get jelly to set rapidly, using minimum of hot water, then some cold and then frozen berries will make it set as you watch it.
I only need to eat twice a day, as I have two proper meals, I do not start the day with any more than 10 gm of carbs, but I have meat, fish, cheese, eggs etc and so I don't get hungry.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It really depends on what type you’re diagnosed with and also the policy of the diagnosing doctor/practice. If type 2 then diet management is often offered as an option, or taken as a preferred route by the person being diagnosed. If you prove to be a type 2 and want to give diet control a go, that’s your choice and I’d suggest discussing it with your GP.

I've found some own brand angel delight in the cupboard, it has 13g of carbs per 100g and I think it was 8g or 9g of which sugars. Is this safe to eat?
What am I looking to keep my carbs under in a whole meal and a day because currently I'm just aiming for as low as possible and find I'm getting peckish around 10pm. Currently I've been ignoring it and then eating in the morning but I used to love having a little angel delight!

Best way to know is to try eating it and test your blood sugars before and after. It’s the total carbs you should be looking at, not just the ‘of which sugars’ part as all carbs turn to sugar in the blood. Personally I’d avoid the Angel Delight and pick a lower carb higher fat snack if needed. Better still, eat slightly more (quantity not carbs) with your main meals and that should help reduce your hunger.

Just to say @Humminglime if you’re diagnosed type 2, unless you’re put onto insulin or another blood glucose lowering medication (i.e not metformin) it’s highly unlikely you’ll be given a meter and testing strips by your GP. They simply don’t see the need and we therefore need to self fund. Type 2s don’t routinely attend hospital diabetes clinics and it’s likely your GP will only refer you to a consultant if they think there is a need to investigate which type you are, or if there is some other complicating factor.

TypeZero.

I have another diabetes blood test next Tuesday so I'm definitely going to be asking to be tested for type 1 diabetes and to be referred to a diabetes clinic/ doctor as i can't leave this untreated especially as I've already developed diabetic retinopathy in the space of 9 months. I've also asked for my results to be given to me tomorrow so I'll have them printed!

What are the main differences in type 1 and 2? Other than insulin dependency?

I have just had a reading of 6.2! My lowest yet and that's with cutting out carbs almost completely. I've had some natural peanut butter today, maybe about 2 tea spoons. Which i estimate to be about 3g and that is all.

Type 1:
-Autoimmune disease
-Immune system thinks your own insulin producing cells are foreign so starts attacking it
-Within weeks or months your blood sugar rises quite quickly
-Generally the older you are the longer it takes for your immune system to kill off your cells, mechanism behind this is not yet understood e.g. Theresa May has type 1 diabetes but she can get away with just taking tablets (it would be more correct to say she’s type 1.5 but we move on)
-Several markers that can confirm this diagnosis: C peptide levels are equal to insulin production so if your C peptide comes below 250pmol/L then type 1 is considered but a definite type 1 diagnosis is through the testing of antibodies (molecules your immune system makes to kill off foreign organisms in your body). Main antibodies include GAD antibodies, ICA, IA-2, Zinc transporter and others (don’t worry about this too much).
-Generally type 1 diabetics need to be put on insulin quite quickly unless they realise it quite quickly then they might be able to get away with tablets but it all depends on how quick your immune system is to destroy your own cells.

Type 2:
-Part of a larger group of diseases called the metabolic syndrome and is very difficult to characterise without grossly over simplifying.

Post edited by moderator.

Last edited by a moderator:

Humminglime

Type 1:
-Autoimmune disease
-Immune system thinks your own insulin producing cells are foreign so starts attacking it
-Within weeks or months your blood sugar rises quite quickly
-Generally the older you are the longer it takes for your immune system to kill off your cells, mechanism behind this is not yet understood e.g. Theresa May has type 1 diabetes but she can get away with just taking tablets (it would be more correct to say she’s type 1.5 but we move on)
-Several markers that can confirm this diagnosis: C peptide levels are equal to insulin production so if your C peptide comes below 250pmol/L then type 1 is considered but a definite type 1 diagnosis is through the testing of antibodies (molecules your immune system makes to kill off foreign organisms in your body). Main antibodies include GAD antibodies, ICA, IA-2, Zinc transporter and others (don’t worry about this too much).
-Generally type 1 diabetics need to be put on insulin quite quickly unless they realise it quite quickly then they might be able to get away with tablets but it all depends on how quick your immune system is to destroy your own cells.

Type 2:
-Part of a larger group of diseases called the metabolic syndrome and is very difficult to characterise without grossly over simplifying.

Wow that's a lot of info thank you for taking the time to inform me. I was diagnosed pre diabetic in September master year and then had my gallbladder out. They had no go concerns with my liver or anything just a little chubby! But I got an infection in the belly button incision that got very bad, I nearly had to have a 2nd op. They put seaweed in the incision every day for a month, which really helped thankfully!

A month later I was told I diabetes sugar level and was then diagnosed last month by the optician when I went for a retinopathy exam.. which I have diabetic retinopathy..

I'm definitely going to question the nurse next Tuesday about testing for type 1 and see where it goes!

Thank you!

Post edited by moderator to reflect previously edited content

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
emoji849.png

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.
Been following your topic regarding your "to be or not to be" diagnosis. Wow!

You are getting great advice from the above comments. Diet doctor is a great go to. There are also carb counts (as well as the nutritional info.) in a lot of modern cook books & websites for reference too? If you like to cook.
I even found a decent LC (pending on tollerace levels.) dish in a Jamie Oliver book.
Checking the carb content if eyeing up the "of which are sugars" bit finds it's snapping at the heels of the carb numbers? You may find a quicker BG spike.?

In breif with your nan's insulin regime. Could be outdated T1 advice with the carbs.? (Appreciated your nan is T2.)
There is a misconception with some DSNs that exogenous insulin only works with carbs?
Other advice as an insulin user when on fixed dosage if I was having a lotta lows, "eat more carbs to fix it." Snack here, snack there, snack before bed.. There was never any mention from an HCP of actually looking at the insulin dosage?

Regarding your eyes. Feel free to check out the ophthalmology topics. It is possible to turn "background retinopathy" around successfully with proper BG management?

Best wishes.