Covid elevated blood sugar

TrevorJ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I unfortunately contracted Covid and I'm just now I'm getting over it. My blood sugar level has been elevated for about 2 weeks (since I got sick). I normally stick close to 7mmol/l fasting but its been closer 11 or 12mmol/l every day. Have been shooting for less than 20 carbs a meal to keep from spiking higher. Anyone else had a similar experience? Normally sicknesses do not raise my levels that much. I am hoping that now my levels will start returning to normal.

Reactions: Winnie-the-Pooh

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Infections, stress , lack of sleep and other things in addition to carbs and medicines raise BG levels.

Its too soon to worry about it. Especially since the levels while high for you, are normal (or even good) for the average (non-Low Carb) T2D.

Winnie-the-Pooh

Hi, I unfortunately contracted Covid and I'm just now I'm getting over it. My blood sugar level has been elevated for about 2 weeks (since I got sick). I normally stick close to 7mmol/l fasting but its been closer 11 or 12mmol/l every day. Have been shooting for less than 20 carbs a meal to keep from spiking higher. Anyone else had a similar experience? Normally sicknesses do not raise my levels that much. I am hoping that now my levels will start returning to normal.

Hi,
I also find it hard to control my D2 after COVID. I’m on a low carb diet. Are u getting better ? Any updates ? Have u talked to your doctor ?

TrevorJ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Even though I feel good now my blood sugar is now averaging 15mmol during the day and 11 at night. They want me to try Farxiga for a month to see if that aides in bringing down my levels until I'm more recovered. Right now I'm only on metformin so I don't have Insulin to give that extra push. I have noticed that carbs affect me about the same, its just my base number is higher. I was doing 30 carbs or less a meal before, now I'm at 10 carbs a meal to keep me from spiking to high. I'm optimistic that my levels will return to normal after some time. I'm exploring some anti-inflammatory foods such as ginger, cinnamon, turmeric, etc to help.

Winnie-the-Pooh

Even though I feel good now my blood sugar is now averaging 15mmol during the day and 11 at night. They want me to try Farxiga for a month to see if that aides in bringing down my levels until I'm more recovered. Right now I'm only on metformin so I don't have Insulin to give that extra push. I have noticed that carbs affect me about the same, its just my base number is higher. I was doing 30 carbs or less a meal before, now I'm at 10 carbs a meal to keep me from spiking to high. I'm optimistic that my levels will return to normal after some time. I'm exploring some anti-inflammatory foods such as ginger, cinnamon, turmeric, etc to help.

Hi same for me except that my base is as low as it used to be but I get sparks much easier , with far less carbs and it takes longer to ho back to base ( after COVID recovery ).

Have u talked to your doctor about it ?

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hope you start to feel better soon, gentle walk can help bring levels down a bit after eating. If you have the energy! Being unwell impacts blood sugar levels a lot! So try not to worry, rest up, and once better you should see them settle back down. Keep in touch with your diabetes team.