1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Covid elevated blood sugar

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by TrevorJ, Oct 5, 2020.

1. TrevorJ

TrevorJ Type 2 · Member

Hi, I unfortunately contracted Covid and I'm just now I'm getting over it. My blood sugar level has been elevated for about 2 weeks (since I got sick). I normally stick close to 7mmol/l fasting but its been closer 11 or 12mmol/l every day. Have been shooting for less than 20 carbs a meal to keep from spiking higher. Anyone else had a similar experience? Normally sicknesses do not raise my levels that much. I am hoping that now my levels will start returning to normal.

• Hug Hug x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  2. ianf0ster

ianf0ster Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Infections, stress , lack of sleep and other things in addition to carbs and medicines raise BG levels.

Its too soon to worry about it. Especially since the levels while high for you, are normal (or even good) for the average (non-Low Carb) T2D.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Winnie-the-Pooh

Winnie-the-Pooh · Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I also find it hard to control my D2 after COVID. I’m on a low carb diet. Are u getting better ? Any updates ? Have u talked to your doctor ?

4. TrevorJ

TrevorJ Type 2 · Member

Even though I feel good now my blood sugar is now averaging 15mmol during the day and 11 at night. They want me to try Farxiga for a month to see if that aides in bringing down my levels until I'm more recovered. Right now I'm only on metformin so I don't have Insulin to give that extra push. I have noticed that carbs affect me about the same, its just my base number is higher. I was doing 30 carbs or less a meal before, now I'm at 10 carbs a meal to keep me from spiking to high. I'm optimistic that my levels will return to normal after some time. I'm exploring some anti-inflammatory foods such as ginger, cinnamon, turmeric, etc to help.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  5. Winnie-the-Pooh

Winnie-the-Pooh · Well-Known Member

Hi same for me except that my base is as low as it used to be but I get sparks much easier , with far less carbs and it takes longer to ho back to base ( after COVID recovery ).

Have u talked to your doctor about it ?

6. Rose22

Rose22 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hope you start to feel better soon, gentle walk can help bring levels down a bit after eating. If you have the energy! Being unwell impacts blood sugar levels a lot! So try not to worry, rest up, and once better you should see them settle back down. Keep in touch with your diabetes team.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook