Type 1'stars R Us

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all!

The phone consultation actually happened at my originally offered appointment time and I was back in work faster than I would've been from the hospital. Which pleased my line manager, as our staffing situation is getting more and more dire by the day and what also pleased them was the fact I have arranged for the Hba1c to happen during half-term rather than next week! (Which I was only offered on the basis my last one via the GP, back in February was just high enough for them to want a 3 months gap, rather than my usual 6 months, which never happened.) I am pretty certain it will be much better this time anyway, but we would like to know.

The consultant agreed with me any in-depth conversation was useless without any downloaded data from me, but he was satisfied from what I described that I was doing OK in the current circumstances. I was also warned the next appointment in 6 months would be offered as face to face with the high likelihood of it being by phone. If that's likely to be more on-going, I will be pushing for Libre so I can download data for them.

On a different note, The Young Vampire has been better behaved at lunch, I gather, since I covered that duty one day in the week! Those who are new to the Young Vampire were taking careful notes of my handling techniques!! Especially around the one item of food which is always the final battle to get eaten. Usually accompanied by repeated "You've had insulin - you must eat it" from me!

I think, for lots of reasons, other people, of the non-insulin taking variety, have lost their confidence in helping the YV with all things diabetes. In much the same way as most of our students have gone backwards in matters of being with their peers after months of only seeing immediate family. Usually, by now, there's some sense of gelling as a group - this year, not much at all. Not helped by the rules we're following to keep us all as safe as we can which have just been intensified for outside the classroom.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Glad your appointment went to the original schedule.

My next is scheduled for an 11:30 slot, which feels to me to be more prone to slippage, just as it would be in clinic, but we'll see what happens then.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Glad your appointment went to the original schedule.

My next is scheduled for an 11:30 slot, which feels to me to be more prone to slippage, just as it would be in clinic, but we'll see what happens then.

Yep, my 10.50 time felt as if I would be prone to late running, which is why I always get there early, in Normal TImes, as they do the pre-appointment stuff with whoever is there, regardless of their appointment time. Once you're booked in, they just work their way through bloods, blood pressure, weight etc...

Reactions: Marie 2

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
My phone appointment was early, so I was pleased I happened to be near the phone. I think it’s just as difficult now as it always was for the teams to plan for whatever comes up in the appointments. It’s much much better than the old pre blood testing meter days, let alone pre libre, when we’d be hanging around for up to four hours while the in-house blood test was processed. I always took a good book, had a trip somewhere instead of staying in the waiting room or, if I was lucky, went out for lunch while they processed it.
The worst one was when I had two very small daughters in tow, one was not long born, by Caesarian, the other, at 17 months, had already discovered the joy of climbing up everything. The appointment was lunchtime, the prescribed insulin dictated eating times and I was hypo.
What really got my goat (a goat might have been easier to have with me than a newborn and a tearaway toddler) was the nurse who looked at my daughters and said, “Why did you bring those with you!” Did she think everyone had helpful relatives? I was delighted to leave her straightening the magazines and replacing the bits and pieces that my toddler had enjoyed.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning from Cornwall. Hurrah! After unpacking, a late meal and too much wine, stumbled into bed on a 6 awoke at 4 on an 18!! Injected and woke a couple of hours later on a 2. Excitement and late meals not the way to go. 2/10 must try harder. Walk on the cliffs today. Have a good day all.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Morning all, off to have a brief outdoor cuppa with older daughter today. Yippee! Just hoping it won’t rain this afternoon, but taking a brolly.
Numbers (infections, not bloods) in this area are not too bad, ‘medium’ but rising so we’re grabbing this opportunity to see her now. Numbers where younger daughter lives are rising more than here and my fellow blood mother-in-law (there are three of us, two blood, one step) is moving to share younger daughter and family’s house as infections are moving through the building where she has a flat. It’s ok though, she’s spent time away from home, and is definitely ok, before moving to younger daughter and family. I have a feeling the dog will be walked off her paws again.
Younger daughter’s working ‘at home’ as much as she can. The last online event she had to deliver was sent from the top of one of the glorious outcrops near them, with the dog there too. It certainly revives the way ideas are communicated.
Bloods today are good, so far. 4 on waking, just catching the after breakfast and a bit of carb for the 4 with a half unit to prevent it going above 7.2.
Sometimes I feel those of us used to the constant dose/carb juggling could transfer our skills to the economy. Unless it’s a hypo moment. That’d definitely lead to some strange measures. A crate of cake-carrying terrapins for every family; a glass box of sparkly prisms for every window; a prize for the loveliest wholemeal music . . . . What would you order for us all?

Reactions: karen8967

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
I am “in” for this chocolate! What kind?!? I could use one with Carmel on the inside, but should probably consider only something with almonds for the fiber (and a smaller net carb count).

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I am “in” for this chocolate! What kind?!? I could use one with Carmel on the inside, but should probably consider only something with almonds for the fiber (and a smaller net carb count).
I remember those bars of chocolate with little squares containing caramel, they were scrumptious - can you still get them? Rolos, too, were a big treat. I’ve occasionally resorted to the rolo hypo treat, but only if I’ve found an old tube of them, usually too antique to make me want to eat the whole tube. It ought to be dark, 85% chocolate I suppose.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mornin’ Karen, mornin’ all.
Another 4 on waking. Dose for breakfast given but the release from my liver to crank open my eyes and keep them open’s got me to 6, so breakfast’s waiting til the fall begins again. Since it seems to be a food related day so far, breakfast’s a blueberry muffin, easy, and it needs to be eaten before it goes stale, of course.
Saw older daughter yesterday: joy. It wasn’t raining, and we sat in their garden for a good talk. Her job’s probably mutating to something with a little less stress and she looks far better than she did at the beginning of term, which is wonderful!
Her dog was so ecstatic in greeting us when we arrived that she made us feel super-great too.
Hope everyone’s Monday goes well.

Reactions: karen8967

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Jollymon any kind of chocolate you want!! Have you had HU almond chunks? Cocoa and coconut sugar covered almonds. Only a half carb each one. Delicious.

@Fairygodmother I loved Rolo's when I was younger. One of my favorites. I stopped eating regular white sugar back in the early 80's a vegan thing for me so all that stuff went away. They have all sorts of vegan chocolate now though. Back then I had to make it if I wanted it.

Just over 3 hours of snorkeling and swimming!! My hubby gave up a little after 2 hours. I was still going strong but my snorkel came loose and not hard to fix but I decided I better stop before I couldn't climb out of the water lol. My Bg's went higher than I would have liked for them too, it was a workout, but so worth the fun.I will have to remember to reduce basal when I go to sleep tonight otherwise my alerts will be going off for lows I'm sure.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
HU almond chunks sound delicious! I’ve not seen them this side of the pond, but I’ll have a look.
Edited after looking online: HUGE cost to get HU sent from HU Kitchen to the UK. Oh well.

Last edited:

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Fairygodmother I think you could make them very easily. It's just almonds with a nice coating of cocoa powder and coconut sugar. Not that much sugar because they aren't really sweet. Just a hint. They also put cocoa butter in there I think to melt the cocoa and get it to stick. Just 5 ingredients, almonds, cocoa, coconut sugar, sea salt and cocoa butter. The trick I think would be the amount of cocoa butter used, second to last ingredient so they didn't use much.

But they look like cocoa powder coated almonds, but the coating stays on.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, no Karen this morning? I've not been around for a few days, just up to my eyes with stuff to do with getting some work done in the house and garden, plus sorting out a problem with my car.

Hope everyone's well and bgs behaving.