Type 1'stars R Us

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Fairygodmother Oh gosh, I had that stuck in a bathtub about 10 years ago. I had twisted my knee on a zipline landing and got in the bathtub for a good soak in a hotel we were staying at. I could not get out. I finally called my husband and it took some major maneuvering for me to get out. I never thought about getting out, getting in was easy lol..............

Last edited:

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning! Have a good day. Packing for a trip away. First time since December. Beyond excited! Stay safe everyone, especially @Fairygodmother no getting in baths!

Reactions: karen8967

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Waves blearily at everyone.

I am deeply annoyed about a sudden switch to a phone consultation with the consultant this week - I don't have the kind of tech to be able to share data, so there's no data on their system for me since last October, I haven't had an Hba1c since February, and have been told it will be "some time between 0900 and 1300". Which is more time than I have booked out of work, as I work fairly close to my hospital and have never been out for more than 2 hours for this appointment. I'm not allowed to take personal calls during working hours at work, as a general rule, though I'm sure in this circumstance there's some leeway, but I really don't want to do that kind of conversation at work. So, I'll stay home and keep all my fingers and toes crossed the call is near my official appointment time.

I'm just not entirely certain it's going to be anything more than a box-ticking exercise with nothing of value coming from it. I am willing to be proved wrong, but as I had arrived home in a bad mood after a few days of being thoroughly messed about in every other sphere of life....Meh.

On the plus side, the Young Vampire may behave better at lunchtime tomorrow - I'm being teamed up with YV to see if a few interesting issues can be solved in the absence of my current usual lunchtime companion. That should cheer numerous people up who are losing their patience.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
That's awful @Japes that reminds me of the service call and they only give you a window of time they will arrive.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Japes had a phone call from my consultant yesterday. I received a letter to say it would be 3:15 on the 5th. But I could have changed that time if I had needed to. Phone rang on the dot and I was actually very impressed with questions asked and queries dealt with. Plus it was my actual consultant. My HBA1C wasn’t done, but it was good last time (only done once a year anyway) and the results have not shifted much on my Libra results. I do have the tech to be able to share results from Libra. Didn’t this time but am signed up for 6 months time. For me it worked out better. No journey and no huge parking fees. The likelihood of me wanting to go back to face to face appointments would be slim.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@becca59 I am waiting and seeing how it goes. It's the 4 hours time slot which has annoyed me, as in principle, I am not against the idea of phone consultations even though as a general rule, for almost everything, I prefer face to face. I totally understand why it may not be possible. I also totally understand for many people it will be preferable for many reasons.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@becca59 I am waiting and seeing how it goes. It's the 4 hours time slot which has annoyed me, as in principle, I am not against the idea of phone consultations even though as a general rule, for almost everything, I prefer face to face. I totally understand why it may not be possible. I also totally understand for many people it will be preferable for many reasons.

The four hours is awful. I was told 3:15 and it was 3:15 on the dot. Our dept in Leeds is very good. If I ever have an issue it is all dealt with very quickly. Cannot fault them. Am lucky!

Reactions: Fairygodmother

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Japes, I don't think we're at the same hospital, but my Endo appointment a couple of months ago was on a similar basis. Even that changed a couple of times from morning to afternoon and back, however, on the day, the Endo's secretary called and asked if x time would work for me. He called at that time.

I have no idea what's happening where you are seen, but in my case, the medics were doing stints on the wards, physically seeing those who really needed it, and fitting reviews in around it all.

I hope you might get a call on the day with a shorter time slot.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
That's a long waiting window.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning Karen, morning all, been flat out for a few days, just really busy with stuff to do with house, car, appointments, dog - why does everything all seem to happen at once? @karen8967 glad your consultation went well, @Japes hope yours happened and how frustrating! I had a review by phone with nurse on Tuesday, she rang at the appointed time, all good, A1c down (which she said was rare at the moment, most people she deals with had seen a rise during this bonkers year). That news balanced by the not news that weight had gone up, but only a couple of pounds, which I already knew.

Also saw podiatrist as scar tissue on one foot from two non-diabetes surgeries had built up more than I could manage any longer. I usually see them every 5-6 weeks and hadn't been since before Covid. Oh the bliss to have it removed professionally!

Bored with rain now, more errands today, hope you all have a good one.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I’ve been taken up with sorting a lot of stuff for the past day or to - no more baths for now, just showers, so not been stuck again - yet.
I hope your consultation went well @Japes. Yes, that’s a long timeframe, maybe there are a few emergencies where your team are based?
Anyone else feeling just a tad sad, but also glad to see the red berries appearing on the holly? Ours are always bird-eaten by the end of December, so we leave most of the berries for them rather than taking away their food to decorate the house. They’re a glorious bright red.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had a wonderful day with our 3 year old grandson. He is just a delight and makes you forget everything going on. Helped me with a ginger cake for pops for his hols and we did lots of work on ‘S’. The fridge is covered in stuff, and our walk to chemist involved lots of ‘S’ Spotting. My retired teaching assistant been brought out of retirement.
Might just escape Leeds before more stringent measures are brought in. We shall keep ourselves to ourselves and go nowhere but deserted cliffs. But it looks as though the holiday we have had booked for a year in Norfolk may bite the dust. Next weeks hols should have been my parents but they have given it to us.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Snorkeling was glorious yesterday. Turtles all over. When I first got in one was swimming straight for me so I stopped and it swam some circles around me and then directly under me.

On the other note it is worth it, but when I am staying out until I am tired I am getting a huge spike in BG levels when I get out, it's been very hard to control. But I wouldn't change it for the world. So worth it.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Good morning all, good morning Karen.
Turtles and grandson, good days. Ninja bursts into the brain when those two are so close, and an image of grandsons, much smaller than now, in the turtle suits I bought them. Those were the fancy dress times when they were a character every time they went out. The favourite was the dragon cape that had a tail, luckily the tail was too short to trail through puddles.
Spent the early part of last night beating down highs; either the carb content on the box was wrong or the Levemir’s reached ‘dump it’ point. Today’s the test, will the Levemir cartridge survive?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Those were the fancy dress times when they were a character every time they went out. The favourite was the dragon cape that had a tail

I think I need a dragon cape to wear every time I go out, it sounds perfect!