Type 2 Metformin + insulin

Peter john

I have been told by my diabetic nurse that due to high Hba1c she is going to put me on a once a day insulin injection plus my metformin is this normal

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Welcome to the forums.

Normally they try other drugs which stimulatr your insulin production (such as gliclazide) first, but if you've already tried those then it is normal. The metformin reduces your sugar production from the liver so it has a different effect to insulin.

Though that assumes you're in the UK and depends on what drugs your health system funds.... (New Zealand for instance is very stingy about funding drugs for T2 diabetics.)

Last edited:

62Karen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had Metformin, then metformin and gliclazide now added in insulin with plan to stay on insulin but slowly reduce others

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It's fairly common to have both (I do) but the Metformin has very little effect. Do you have excess weight and are you on a low-carb diet? Insulin and excess weight thru too many carbs are not a good match but may be you are slim?

Peter john

My last HbA1c was 114 i have been on 500mg metformin & anogliptin for two years they tried to increase my metformin but couldn’t tolerate it and thanks for replying

Peter john

Iam 5’10” my weight is 15stone 3pounds and iam 73 iam trying hard to shed a bit of timber but with the lockdown it’s hard

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Iam 5’10” my weight is 15stone 3pounds and iam 73 iam trying hard to shed a bit of timber but with the lockdown it’s hard

Read around here on low carbohydrate ways of eating.

It is one way to shed those pounds.