1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 2 Metformin + insulin

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Peter john, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Peter john

Peter john · Newbie

I have been told by my diabetic nurse that due to high Hba1c she is going to put me on a once a day insulin injection plus my metformin is this normal

2. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Welcome to the forums.

Normally they try other drugs which stimulatr your insulin production (such as gliclazide) first, but if you've already tried those then it is normal. The metformin reduces your sugar production from the liver so it has a different effect to insulin.

Though that assumes you're in the UK and depends on what drugs your health system funds.... (New Zealand for instance is very stingy about funding drugs for T2 diabetics.)

#2 EllieM, Oct 13, 2020 at 12:41 AM
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
  3. 62Karen

62Karen Type 2 · Member

I had Metformin, then metformin and gliclazide now added in insulin with plan to stay on insulin but slowly reduce others

4. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

What was your most recent HbA1c?

5. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

Hi. It's fairly common to have both (I do) but the Metformin has very little effect. Do you have excess weight and are you on a low-carb diet? Insulin and excess weight thru too many carbs are not a good match but may be you are slim?

6. Peter john

Peter john · Newbie

My last HbA1c was 114 i have been on 500mg metformin & anogliptin for two years they tried to increase my metformin but couldn’t tolerate it and thanks for replying

7. Peter john

Peter john · Newbie

Iam 5’10” my weight is 15stone 3pounds and iam 73 iam trying hard to shed a bit of timber but with the lockdown it’s hard

8. LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Read around here on low carbohydrate ways of eating.

It is one way to shed those pounds.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook