Thinking of Switching to a Pump..

Jelaca

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey everyone,

I hope you’re doing okay. I just wanted to ask for some advice because I’ve been thinking a lot recently about switching over to a pump.

Obviously I’ll have to see if I meet the criteria (does anyone know what this is by the way?), but aside from that I wondered how you feel about having a pump if you’ve made the switch?
I have been on MDI since I was diagnosed, so for about 16 years, and I’m just worried about making a mistake! Do you get used to having something on you all the time? And how do you make it work with something like a dress?

Sorry to ramble, there are just lots of thoughts going through my mind!

Thanks in advance, Jessica

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

No "ramble" at all...

Funny enough I'm wondering about "that something" attached to me, sharing my body heat & relying on a solo bit of tech to keep me in the "zone?" Turmoil for a fair old while.. (A number of years for me..)

I'll tag in @MeiChanski @Juicyj @tim2000s @himtoo whome I know pump. I'll also tag in @MarkMunday who (to the best of my knowledge, tried it. & reverted back to MDI?)

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Getting around the idea of "being connected" for me took the longest. I'm now on my third pump so around 9 years but it took me about the same length of time to decide I'd give it a go after being offered one (which I turned down). I look back now and would say it was one of the best decisions I made together with getting a CGM (Dexcom) a few months later, why I waited so long was because I thought (almost paranoid) I could not live with something 'hanging' off me. In the end I just could not get night time control on MDI so decided I'd give the pump a try and never looked back. Although I would say the first three months or so take a lot of effort.

Jelaca

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Getting around the idea of "being connected" for me took the longest. I'm now on my third pump so around 9 years but it took me about the same length of time to decide I'd give it a go after being offered one (which I turned down). I look back now and would say it was one of the best decisions I made together with getting a CGM (Dexcom) a few months later, why I waited so long was because I thought (almost paranoid) I could not live with something 'hanging' off me. In the end I just could not get night time control on MDI so decided I'd give the pump a try and never looked back. Although I would say the first three months or so take a lot of effort.
Okay thank you, that’s really helpful. It’s something I’m seriously considering.
I’m not sure if I’d meet the criteria as I don’t have a problem with lows.. mine are more in the teens quite often, also I find it difficult to inject in front of people so feel a pump would help with that.
Thanks again for your help! I appreciate it. Jessica

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hey @Jelaca .....i was first offered a pump back in 2002 but i said no because my attitude was i didn't want anything attached to me......................fast forward to 2015 and my first pump and it has been the best decision of my entire diabetic life ......
as for meeting criteria there are 2 sets in the UK ... there is NICE https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ta151/resources/insulin-pump-therapy-for-diabetes-pdf-374892589

there is also ABCD criteria here https://abcd.care/sites/abcd.care/files/BP_DTN_v13 FINAL.pdf

in addition in the UK there can be a bit of a postcode lottery in terms of getting a pump ....if you live in a city with more than one hospital it may be worth changing hospitals if yours is not Pro-pumping.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Jelaca have been using a pump for quite a few years now, and wouldn't want to go back to mdi. It was a steep learning curve to begin with, and there are odd times when sites are sore, or I get fed up with something to do with the pump, but most of the time I forget it's there. It was a real game changer in terms of managing my diabetes, and definitely saved hospital admission for me when I was ill once. Am really thankful to have it.

Jelaca

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you! That was so helpful to read, and good to see the diagram of the criteria.
I think I do want to get one, I’m just waiting to see if I will be allowed now.. going through the process!
Hey @Jelaca .....i was first offered a pump back in 2002 but i said no because my attitude was i didn't want anything attached to me......................fast forward to 2015 and my first pump and it has been the best decision of my entire diabetic life ......
as for meeting criteria there are 2 sets in the UK ... there is NICE https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ta151/resources/insulin-pump-therapy-for-diabetes-pdf-374892589

there is also ABCD criteria here https://abcd.care/sites/abcd.care/files/BP_DTN_v13 FINAL.pdf

in addition in the UK there can be a bit of a postcode lottery in terms of getting a pump ....if you live in a city with more than one hospital it may be worth changing hospitals if yours is not Pro-pumping.

Jelaca

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Jelaca have been using a pump for quite a few years now, and wouldn't want to go back to mdi. It was a steep learning curve to begin with, and there are odd times when sites are sore, or I get fed up with something to do with the pump, but most of the time I forget it's there. It was a real game changer in terms of managing my diabetes, and definitely saved hospital admission for me when I was ill once. Am really thankful to have it.
Thank you, that’s very helpful. I’m glad it’s made such a difference for you. It does sound good.

Reactions: Hopeful34

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello sorry late reply!

I know you need to do a carb counting course before being considered for a pump. Waiting times and pump choices varies across the country.

I was offered one this year January 2020. So I’m still learning :)
How I feel about it? I’m in between, I’m fed of it and I’m also grateful for it. At the moment, I’m going through different cannula choices, I’m in pain and I’m facing hard lumps under my cannula. Whether it is insulin absorption issues or not, it’s uncomfortable. But other than that, it’s a huge change from MDI.

I think the different basal profiles is the best bit about the pump, you can program your basal needs for different times of the day. Another best bit about it that my pump is a closed loop, so it works in conjunction with a CGM. While it’s not perfect, it’s saved me so many times from hypos.

On the other hand, I know I’m always connected and it’s always there. I work in an assisted living facility and sometimes an elderly person have their moment and they do grab either on my CGM or tubing. With a dress, you can buy pump belt to wrap around your leg like a garter or around your waist. Or simply clip it onto your bra.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I was diagnosed t1 in January.. offered pump in March.. had it fitted and running in September

Its definitely more work than mdi. But the a have better control than I have had for a long time

Ermintrude75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ive been type 1 for 40 years. Asked in march last year for my first pump. Fingers crossed I will get it in Jan/Feb.

Advice check with your hospital what their criteria is for getting a pump. Also check which pumps they will supply. Research all the pumps looking at their pros and cons. Also look at the support groups for the pumps on Facebook. That will give you an honest opinion

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Jess,

How did you get on with attempting to get a pump? I was on pump therapy 10 year ago when I was 16 but I was a terrible teenager & didn't take too it well. In November I contacted the diabetic nurses & requested to go back onto a pump. I got an email on Wednesday saying ill get the new Medtronic 780g as well as the cgm the start of January & ill go live with it on the 7th of jan. I remember asking about a pump a few year ago & I was told I could only have one if I did a DAFNE course but because I work for myself I couldn't really afford to take a week off work to do, so 2 weeks ago I completed the online BERTIE Course and my consultant has accepted that as part of my criteria for the pump.

Reactions: Medusa41