WhitbyJet

SparkJack - you are right Oopsies and variants are very useful for sweet or savoury dishes, thanks for posting :)

WhitbyJet

MORE WINTER WARMERS

MEAT LOAF WITH PEAS AND CREAMY SAUCE
For 6 servings:
Mix 800g minced beef with two eggs, 30g mustard, tomato puree 20g, salt, pepper, paprika powder 50g grated cheese and finele chopped parsley, knead the mix for a couple of minutes to make sure its mixed really well. Then add 250g frozen peas to the mixture.
Grease a baking dish with butter, shape mixture into a loaf, place into the baking dish, top with 50g feta cheese and cover with 100g bacon rashers.
Bake at 200 ° for 40-50 minutes in the oven. Meanwhile, heat 300g cream in a saucepan, stir in 200g cream cheese (I used a herby cream cheese, and only 150g cream and 100ml water instead) and simmer gently until the desired creaminess is reached.
Serve the meatloaf with the sauce and steamed vegetables.
6.3 carbs per portion
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
VEGETABLE BAKE (Lovely with sausages or meat)
Cut an onion, 400g red pepper 1 medium courgette into cubes, if liked add a deseeded finely chopped chilli pepper. Heat oil in a pan, add onions and cook for a minute, add peppers and courgette and sauté until softened. Add chilli if using and chopped herbs, eg thyme and marjoram, season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
Whisk 4 eggs with 150g cream and 100g sour cream, season with salt and pepper.Place the vegetables into a greased baking dish, pour the egg mixture over the vegetables and bake at 180C for around 30 mins until the egg mix is set and golden brown on top.
10.7 carbs per portion

You can use any other combination of low carb veggies to make this dish
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BEEF OLIVES German style
3 servings
Finely chop one onion, thinly slice 50g gherkins. Season 3 slices of beef with salt and pepper, spread with mustard, place a rasher of bacon on top, then top with onion and gherkin. Roll up the beef into roulades, secure with toothpicks, fry in plenty of butter (I used a mix of lard and butter), make sure you fry all sides.
Remove the beef olives from the pan, deglaze with 100ml wine (or stock), bring to a simmer, add the beef olives and enough water so that it comes about half way up the beel olives. Add a dried chilli pepper, some onion rings, a sliced carrot, 2 cloves, 2 sprigs of rosemary or dried rosemary, thyme and a few peppercorns.
Cover and simmer for at least 1-1.5 hours over medium heat. Turn the beef olives at least once during the cooking time,add more water if necessary.
Remove the beef olives from the pan, remove the toothpicks and keep warm. Pour the liquid through a strainer into a small saucepan, bring to a boil, stir in 200g of double cream and stir until you have a smooth creamy sauce. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.

4.7 carbs per serving

The author of this blog served this with cabbage sauteed with bacon and onions. We had ours with sweet and sour red cabbage - delicious!

Photos of all 3 dishes
http://maggiefuttert.blogspot.com/2010/ ... woche.html

WhitbyJet

AMBROSIA

Ambrosia - this could be used instead of a trifle, look at the Christmassy decoration (2 sugarfree marshmallows, strawberry red nose :lol: )

300ml of cream – beaten
½ cup unsweetened yoghurt
1 punnet of strawberry’s sliced
2 cup frozen boysenberry’s, use other berries if not available – drained, keep some juice for colour
75g packet of sugar free marshmallows

Mix beaten cream and yoghurt until smooth, then add the rest of the ingredients and combine, refrigerate for a few hours then serve.

Notes
Could just use all cream or less yoghurt.
Could grate some 85% chocolate over to garnish.
Could add a few chopped sugarfree marshmallows.

http://www.lowcarbcooking.co.nz/forum/v ... ?f=4&t=763

WhitbyJet

PEFECT PIE CRUST & CORN BREAD

Hello lovely peoples

I have two links for you, one is just about the perfect low carb pie crust, ideal for sweet and savoury recipes (you can add herbs or sweetener to the recipe).
I made a steak pie using this crust, it turned out perfect.

http://www.lowcarbist.com/2009/04/better-pie-crust/

The other link is for a corn bread, this is amazing, it tastes like the real thing, perfect to eat with your lunch time soup, or just as a nibble in between meals, even with a curry or fried breakfast.

http://www.lowcarbist.com/2009/02/green ... cornbread/

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Pie crust looks awesome - how did it hold together with steak/gravy in it?

WhitbyJet

Patch - it held together just perfect. It really is just like the blog author describes it, tried and tested by me first before posting, and I am no expert when it comes to cooking.

WhitbyJet

Russian Pluck Cake

This is the low carb version of the Russian Pluck Cake (you've probab;y eaten the non-lowcarb version of Russian Pluck Cake in places like Starbucks, Costa, etc) - I am certain that this recipe wont disappoint.

I have made this cake for a recent village fete and people asked for the recipe!

Mix together 120g melted butter 100g ground almonds 100g ground hazelnuts 80g coconut flour, 20g cocoa powder and sweetener to taste (the non-lowcarb version would have 200g sugar, so its very sweet, use sweetener according to your taste).
Grease and line a springform tin, then use two thirds of the pastry to cover the base and bring it up on the sides of the tin, press it on slightly.
For the filling:
4 eggs, separated - beat egg whites until very stiff. Mix the egg yolks with 750g cottage or cream cheese, mix one packet of gelatine crystals or use gelatine leaves (enough for 500ml of liquid), add sweetener to taste (it would be 150g sugar) and vanilla extract/essence. Fold in egg whites and spread mixture into your pastry case.
Add a little bit of double cream to the remaining third of the pastry and place in blotches on top of the filling.
Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees for 50 minutes, let it cool in the oven.
The cake rises inside the oven, but will collapse when cooled, just like it looks in the photo.
You will get 12 slices at 4.8 carbs each.
http://maggiefuttert.blogspot.com/2011/ ... uchen.html

WhitbyJet

Nut & Chocolate Cake With Berries

This is the other cake that I bake for village fetes and coffee mornings, etc, never a crumb left over!

Nut & Chocolate Cake With Berries

Mix 150g soft butter with sweetener equivalent to 150g sugar and 4 egg yolks until fluffy, add 100g grated chocolate (at least 75% cocoa content) and stir in 200g finely grated hazelnuts.

Beat egg whites until very stiff, then carefully fold into the cake mix. Grease a springform tin, pour the cake mixture into the tin and level with the back of a spoon, sprinkle 150g frozen berries on top, gently pressing them down just a little bit.
Bake for an hour at 175C (thats with a fan oven, without fan I think it would be 180C, depends on your oven).

Delicious eaten slightly warm or cold with tea/coffee and a good dollop of whipped cream on the side, like they do on the continent.

The author of this blog divided the cake into 16 slices, it is very rich, esp served with whipped cream. She ate two slices of it = one portion.

7.7 carbs per portion (= 2 slices)

http://maggiefuttert.blogspot.com/2011/ ... .html#more

At the time of writing Tesco and Sainsburys are selling 3 packs of frozen berries for £5

WhitbyJet

Egg Whites

11 PMs from lovely members all stating they would like to bake but dont know how to separate eggs or dont understand the term 'beat egg whites until very stiff'

You can buy an egg separator quite cheaply from ebay or hardware stores - but try this method - have two clean bowls ready
break the egg on to a plate, careful that the yolk is left intact, now take a sherry glass or an egg cup or something of similar size and invert it right over the egg yolk, now with one hand lift the plate and tilt it over one of the bowls, with the other hand you hold the sherry glass over the yolk at all times and the egg white will run off leaving the yolk on the plate, now slide the egg yolk into the other bowl. Repeat with the other eggs.

When beating egg whites its very important that absolutely no egg yolk is mixed in with the egg whites, not even a tiny fleck, and also make sure that there is no grease in the bowl or on the beaters/whisk - you wont be able to whisk them stiffly if there is grease or yolk.

When a recipe states whisk the egg whites until stiff, whisk until you have peaks, tilt the bowl, if the egg whites move then they are not yet stiff enough, cnntinue whisking until the egg whites dont move, you will be able to hold the bowl upside down and the egg whites wont fall out (this was always great fun in our house when the children were small they loved testing if the egg whites are really stiff by holding the bowl upside down over Daddy's head who pretended to be very nervous knowing fully well that Mummy wouldnt risk losing several egg whites by underwhipping them)

I hope that I have explained tthings clearly, there really is nothing to it, all recipes that I have posted are easy to make.

And this is how you fold in egg whites, its a very good demo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L44FtTXT ... re=related

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
What a clever idea for separating yolks and whites! Thanks, WhitbyJet!

Incidentally, in the Nut & Chocolate Cake with Berries - is it 150 grams of frozen berries, or do I have to count them? :wink:

Just checking!

Viv 8)

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Rippers!

I get almond and coconut flour from an on-line store called Healthy Supplies - you'll get the address if you google it. You can also get almond flour from low-carb sites such as AvidLite and Low-carb Mega Store. I think Tescos and other supermarkets sell it aswell, but in very small packs.

Hope that helps.

Smidge

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
for those of you living in Leicester, coconut flour can be bought at the Leicester Wholefood Co-op on Dysart way.

wiflib

WhitbyJet

African Lamb Stew

African Lamb Stew - For four people

1.2 kg of lamb stew meat

2 aubergines

1 ½ teaspoons sea salt

1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

2 tins of chopped tomatoes

1 tablespoon coriander seeds

½ tsp cumin seeds

2 tsp grated nutmeg

3 tablespoons oil

3 pcs red chilli finely chopped

2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger

5 cloves of garlic

1 teaspoon vinegar

1 stock cube

sour cream

2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley

1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro (= coriander leaves)

Crush the coriander seeds and cumin seeds, using a mortar and pestle (or if you dont own a mortar and pestle you can put seeds in a plastic food bag or cling film and use a rolling pin to crush seeds or chop the seeds by using a sharp knife = put seeds in a little mound, chop through, gather them together again, chop through, etc). Mix crushed seeds with salt and nutmeg and rub spice mixture well into the meat.

Melt oil/butter (I always use both, gives a lovely flavour, the oil stops the butter from burning), add meat to the pan and brown on all sides. Cut the aubergine into cubes and fry with the meat for 2 minutes whilst stirring all the time.
Add the ginger and chilli and let everything cook for a further 2 minutes, then add add the garlic, vinegar, stock cube and tomatoes. Cover and simmer for 1 hour.

Season with salt and pepper. Serve up in deep plates, place a big dollop of sour cream on top and sprinkle with the fresh finely chopped parsley and coriander to finish.

http://lchf-bloggen.blogspot.com/2010/1 ... gryte.html

This is a warming winter dish, packed with vitamins and minerals; serve with cornbread on the side (see recipe I posted earlier)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WhitbyJet

Meatballs in Tomato-Peppersauce

Meatballs in Tomato-Peppersauce (these are moist and full of flavour)

400 g chicken mince (I used turkey mince)

1 egg

2 cloves garlic

1 / 2 tablespoon paprika

a little cayenne

a little oregano or mint

salt & pepper

butter

Tomato and pepper sauce

1 finely chopped onion

4 cloves minced garlic

1 red pepper, chopped

1 / 2 yellow pepper, chopped

1 / 4 - 1 / 2 finely chopped red chilli

oil

a dash of white wine vinegar

1 can chopped tomatoes

1 tablespoon chicken bouillon powder or stock cube

1 small teaspoon sweetener

salt & pepper
________________________________________________________________________________

Mix together all ingredients for meatballs and stir well. Fry the meatballs in butter until they are almost cooked through.

Fry onion, garlic. peppers and chilies in oil until onion is soft. Add the white wine vinegar and canned tomatoes. Bring to a boil and season with chicken stock/bouillon powder, sweetener, salt and pepper and simmer for a few minutes.
Add meatballs into the sauce and simmer gently until heated through..

Serve on a bed of shredded cabbage, sauteed in butter (<< If you are lowcarbing)
http://lchf-bloggen.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... at-og.html

WhitbyJet

Mary's Carrot Cake a la LCHF

Mary's Carrot Cake a la LCHF
This is a super tasty and delicious carrot cake. Divide the cake into ten slices at only 5 carbs each.

3 Eggs
3dl Almond Flour
1dl Greek Yogurt
1 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Ginger
Vanilla essence/extract
2 tsp baking powder
2.5 dl finely grated Carrots
50g melted butter
sweetener - taste the mixture

Melt the butter, combine remaining ingredients and mix well, whisk in the melted butter.Baseline and grease a springform tin, pour the cake batter into the tin and bake on lower shelf in the oven at 175 degrees for 40 - 50 mins or until the cake is done (depends on oven and tin used)

Remove cake and cool, meanwhile prepare the frosting:

200g Cream cheese
50g unsalted butter
sweetener - taste the mixture
few drops of lime or lemon juice
Beat together cream cheese, butter and sweetener, add lime/lemon juice until you have the desired texture.
Spread on to the cooled cake.

This cake freezes really well, best left to defrost in the fridge overnight.

http://metrobloggen.se/millasmat/maries ... a_ala_lchf

Forgot to say, if your tin is not leakproof its best to fully line it with greaseproof paper, then grease it before pouring in the batter.

EDITED: to adjust cooking time