What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't know about that but the hill up to Lincoln Cathedral from grandson's uni accommodation is a bit steep to steep for me anyway. :)

I completed my pilots licence out there, we'd fly a lot from Derby to Wickenby then out to Grantham. My instructor, on the day of my exam, told me not to hit the cathedral ;) They had no night flying capabilities back then so I took that license at Leicester flying to Bristol. However, my best flying days were on a Sunday and running the RAF route down through the valleys. Brylcreem boys didn't fly it on a Sunday. Fun days :)

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning everyone from cloud filled and windy start to the day in the dark and dangerous north - maybe those clouds will blow away and reveal an alternative scenario.

The wonder wheel of bacon, chorizo and leek bake with zero noodles came in at stonking 5.5 this am.

The wheel of life began to slow down yesterday - nearly got 29hours out of the day - will be fitting a longer fulcrum in a bit and getting out the WD40.
New fridge/freezer installed @geefull , @SlimLizzy - only to be told that it had to sit there for five hours before switching on. They never had to do that with the old one - just put a massive block of ice under the hay box and off you go.
SIL is probably moving out of intensive care today - the cocktail of Timothy Learyesque drugs and the oxygenated environment seems to have done the trick for now. They used the same drugs that they did with the trumpf but of course at a fraction of the cost so not the best treatment in the whole world on the most sparkly and virulent Covid gang ever to enter a human body.

Paintings today - playing the acetone trick - mix ink with acetone and then pour over the paper - let it dry and use the outcome to make a picture. Have a great post bin day. Time for koffy.

View attachment 44988

View attachment 44987
good news about your sil dunelm :)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning everyone from cloud filled and windy start to the day in the dark and dangerous north - maybe those clouds will blow away and reveal an alternative scenario.

The wonder wheel of bacon, chorizo and leek bake with zero noodles came in at stonking 5.5 this am.

The wheel of life began to slow down yesterday - nearly got 29hours out of the day - will be fitting a longer fulcrum in a bit and getting out the WD40.
New fridge/freezer installed @geefull , @SlimLizzy - only to be told that it had to sit there for five hours before switching on. They never had to do that with the old one - just put a massive block of ice under the hay box and off you go.
SIL is probably moving out of intensive care today - the cocktail of Timothy Learyesque drugs and the oxygenated environment seems to have done the trick for now. They used the same drugs that they did with the trumpf but of course at a fraction of the cost so not the best treatment in the whole world on the most sparkly and virulent Covid gang ever to enter a human body.

Paintings today - playing the acetone trick - mix ink with acetone and then pour over the paper - let it dry and use the outcome to make a picture. Have a great post bin day. Time for koffy.

View attachment 44988

View attachment 44987
@dunelm
Glad for SIL x

I have always been told to leave fridge 5 hours before turning on...last time I was in a hurry, and I only waited an hour...the fridge gurgled when I turned it on, and has been gurgling at me every time I walked into the kitchen the last 10 years...

I'll have to Google the acetone trick...I don't think I have any...I have isopropyl and I have floetrol, possibly other stuff in that garage of mine...

Randomness I like...

Love both your paintings...

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A 6.0 this dreary morning as I continue to look for a new home.

I've decided that it is time for one final move, the plan is to go back to my old haunt in Ceredigion to be closer to my two 'physical' friends. I also miss the sea and, if I am honest, the Welsh. I have a few hopeful apartments (no garden!) lined up to view in a couple of weeks. My friend there has offered to physically go to each and Facetime a walk around. I trust his judgement so it will be ok.

I'm also getting an e-bike which is going to be an experience ;)

That sound a brilliant plan @Alien Aspie
Good wishes from me in finding your ideal place.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Well I have not been to Cardigan myself but did stay at Fishguard about 20 miles from there a while back when caught up in some nasty weather of the Irish coast we made it to Fishguard where we had to stay until the weather had abated enough to make it back to Plymouth.

I liked the area well enough though on one occasion my self and a friend wandered into a local shop immediately we entered every one switched from speaking English to welsh.

My friend was married to a welsh girl and had learnt to speak the language fluently and told them that being the topic of their rather derogatory conversation was not going down too well with him and told them in welsh as good as their own.
I do have Welsh ancestry and have lived in wales in fact my daughter was born in Clwyd but I don't speak the language.

So @Alien Aspie I hope you are a welsh speaker. :)

Reactions: jjraak

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks @Muddy Cyclist, she seems to be a lot better than she was a couple of days ago.
I have not used the acetone technique before but saw it being demonstrated so decided to have a go - Mrs Miggins will not miss such a small amount of nail polish remover. The grainy effect is due to using old ink (I just let the ink dish dry out and then add a bit of water) - will have a go with new ink later today I think.
Edit: just poured new ink - still grainy.
Ah @dunelm nail polish remover, is that was acetone is? Oh I got that in my garage...I also used to add it to coloured Indian inks...and apply to photographic paper...

Reactions: dunelm

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is a long day here. I did fall asleep at at just after 6pm last night. I was tired.

The darling cat woke me up at 2:30 am this morning. He wanted feeding. He did not get fed, and sat on my chest the next hour in the most disgruntled fashion.

So far, I have done the equivalent of a days work...postcards, letters, emails etc

I fell asleep earlier and I was in the most interesting dream where my son tells me Ihave a thousand pounds in my bedroom. I most certainly do not have a thousand pounds in my bedroom. I would know if there was. But the darling cat woke me up before I could ask my son where it was...

And I looked at of my bedroom window to see a pair of magpies looking in the window at me. They looked massive and powerful. They were real. Probably they were wondering if the cat was stalking and hunting a human.

I shouted at them, they went on my bungalow roof, and have been tossing off huge clumps of moss...

Then I look at the wall where my lottery tickets are pinned...I need to download the lottery app...

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@dunelm
Glad for SIL x

I have always been told to leave fridge 5 hours before turning on...last time I was in a hurry, and I only waited an hour...the fridge gurgled when I turned it on, and has been gurgling at me every time I walked into the kitchen the last 10 years...

I'll have to Google the acetone trick...I don't think I have any...I have isopropyl and I have floetrol, possibly other stuff in that garage of mine...

Randomness I like...

Love both your paintings...
My stomach gurgles when I open the fridge ;)

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A not too shabby 6.1 which is surprising seeing as I had very poor sleep ( once again ) and indulged in a big slice of cherry cake before bed , which probably contributed to the poor sleep !

Reactions: karen8967

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well I have not been to Cardigan myself but did stay at Fishguard about 20 miles from there a while back when caught up in some nasty weather of the Irish coast we made it to Fishguard where we had to stay until the weather had abated enough to make it back to Plymouth.

I liked the area well enough though on one occasion my self and a friend wandered into a local shop immediately we entered every one switched from speaking English to welsh.

My friend was married to a welsh girl and had learnt to speak the language fluently and told them that being the topic of their rather derogatory conversation was not going down too well with him and told them in welsh as good as their own.
I do have Welsh ancestry and have lived in wales in fact my daughter was born in Clwyd but I don't speak the language.

So @Alien Aspie I hope you are a welsh speaker. :)

First thing I did when moving to Wales in the 70s was give the language a crack. I can hold my own in most cases unless they go off at lightspeed. First time I walked into my local after moving it was a case that the room switched to welsh, then the landlord looks at me and says "You're not English!" and once I'd confirmed the whole place went back to speaking English.

When my friend moved from Bham to Wales a couple of years back I helped him move in and introduced him to the locals (my old 'home town'), he thought it was hilarious that I could switch to welsh. Now he's busy learning :)

It's funny how many times I've entered a conversation with a welsh person in welsh and been told they don't speak it. The English forget that the Welsh language was not encouraged in their own land and I can appreciate why they dislike the English so much.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah @dunelm nail polish remover, is that was acetone is? Oh I got that in my garage...I also used to add it to coloured Indian inks...and apply to photographic paper...
Yep - nail polish remover. Have fun - open a window when you do it.

Reactions: jjraak

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Magpies are back. Looking at me through my window.
This is the new normal.
Magpies viewing Welsh humans locked in their glass cages...

Reactions: UserABC2021

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
5.0 this morning.

Had a really lovely lunch out yesterday. A 21 day aged Beefburger covered in bacon and lots of cheese plus a green salad and coleslaw. We decided that it was so nice we must not leave it so long before we go there again, especially as it was really covid secure.

After 2 hours blood sugars were 4.5 - so definitely a good choice for me.
@ianpspurs we are definitely staying away from the meat processing plant which is only 10 miles away from us.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday they were 6.6, 2 hours later they were 4.8 and I was well into hypo mode, shakes, disorientation and feeling totally wiped out. 4.8 is fine for most of you, but bad news for me.
It is really good that you still have your hypo awareness in the 4s. It is not good if you lose your hypo awareness on insulin. I have a client who lost her hypo awareness and it took her a long time of running too high blood sugars to get it back.

When I came off insulin it took me just as long to lose my hypo awareness - which wasn't useful anymore. Now it doesn't kick in until I am 3.9 - thank goodness.

Last edited:
Reactions: alf_Josiah

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good late Morening all, struggling for time again here.

This morning a 5.4, hmmmm

Mrs J has written a task list and is watch me and me's like a hawk.
It might have something to do with the fact that she asked me to sort out a pair of socks for her, she never said that they should match, Mrs J is now wearing odd socks.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good late Morening all, struggling for time again here.

This morning a 5.4, hmmmm

Mrs J has written a task list and is watch me and me's like a hawk.
It might have something to do with the fact that she asked me to sort out a pair of socks for her, she never said that they should match, Mrs J is now wearing odd socks.
The odd socks is incredibly fashionable but I wouldn''t advise making that point to the sainted Mrs AJ