Covid and Work, Covid Advice and General Chat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
No fun, but maybe treasure this up as yet another health argument for staying at home!

I had my x-ray result back today, I have a bone spur with possible plantar fascia on heel pad.

Tannith

BANNED
Coronavirus cases have been detected in mink farms in Denmark's northern Jutland region, and in other parts of Europe, for several months.

But cases are spreading fast in Denmark, and five cases of the new virus strain were found on mink farms. Twelve people had become infected, the authorities said.

Prime Minister Frederiksen described the situation as "very, very serious".

She cited a government report which said the mutated virus had been found to weaken the body's ability to form antibodies, potentially making the current vaccines under development for Covid-19 ineffective.

"We have a great responsibility towards our own population, but with the mutation that has now been found, we have an even greater responsibility for the rest of the world as well," she told a news conference.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-54818615
Presumably this mutation would also make the disease more deadly in those who caught this version

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Coronavirus cases have been detected in mink farms in Denmark's northern Jutland region, and in other parts of Europe, for several months.

But cases are spreading fast in Denmark, and five cases of the new virus strain were found on mink farms. Twelve people had become infected, the authorities said.

She cited a government report which said the mutated virus had been found to weaken the body's ability to form antibodies, potentially making the current vaccines under development for Covid-19 ineffective.

"We have a great responsibility towards our own population, but with the mutation that has now been found, we have an even greater responsibility for the rest of the world as well," she told a news conference.
Presumably this mutation would also make the disease more deadly in those who caught this version
That’s worrying. I just don’t want to think about. About the mutation. About the fact that there are still mink farms. About the mink who’ll be culled. About further mutations.
I’d like to see the analysis of the virus that’s infected workers at the mink farms undertaken by a other labs to confirm, or not, the findings.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had my x-ray result back today, I have a bone spur with possible plantar fascia on heel pad.
Maybe have a look at this brief video from the physios Bob & Brad. I have found their advice and exercises very helpful for my back and shoulder problems. The pair are also unpretentious and amusing. Personally I suffered from pf many years ago, so I do sympathise.SO painful and disabling. In the end what helped me most was strapping, which I wore continuously for quite a while.
They have many other videos for pf, just search.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All. This thread is about Covid. It mentions General Chat, but that is in relation to Covid, not anything else. There are now a number of posts which are derailing the thread.

Please bear that in mind. Any further derailing posts will be deleted.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Tannith - A virus will mutate to survive. A virus needs a live host to live and replicate. If it were successful in killing off it's host, it would, in turn fade out as hosts became scarce, so, sadly, this is what happens and what will happen.

Put extremely simplistically, it's exactly what happens with seasonal flu, each season.

As I have said before, we have been searching for the holy grail of cures for the common cold (virus) and season flu for decades. It is likely to take quite a while longer than a year to find something extremely effective for COVID-19.

I would be delighted to be wrong on that, but to be honest, I think it'd take an extreme stroke of good fortune for the researchers and scientists. It must be both an exciting and frustrating area of work at the moment.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
@Robinredbreast, are you still worrying about whether or not to carry on working in a job that could increase your exposure?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Tannith - A virus will mutate to survive. A virus needs a live host to live and replicate. If it were successful in killing off it's host, it would, in turn fade out as hosts became scarce, so, sadly, this is what happens and what will happen.

Put extremely simplistically, it's exactly what happens with seasonal flu, each season.

As I have said before, we have been searching for the holy grail of cures for the common cold (virus) and season flu for decades. It is likely to take quite a while longer than a year to find something extremely effective for COVID-19.

I would be delighted to be wrong on that, but to be honest, I think it'd take an extreme stroke of good fortune for the researchers and scientists. It must be both an exciting and frustrating area of work at the moment.
Except were a virus is highly infectious before symptoms are apparent because then it has replicated and moved on to a new host before the first host has died.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@Robinredbreast, are you still worrying about whether or not to carry on working in a job that could increase your exposure?

Hi, well this morning as the children went into the school, I asked a teacher if their was any news regarding a teacher who was being tested for covid and their result is negative. So after a chat with my daughter and the negative result, I am going to carry on working, as I have done so since September.
Thank you for asking FG :)

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Maybe have a look at this brief video from the physios Bob & Brad. I have found their advice and exercises very helpful for my back and shoulder problems. The pair are also unpretentious and amusing. Personally I suffered from pf many years ago, so I do sympathise.SO painful and disabling. In the end what helped me most was strapping, which I wore continuously for quite a while.
They have many other videos for pf, just search.

Thanks for the link, I will have a look a little later on.

Tannith

BANNED

Everyone knows that viruses mutate and that that can increase their survival or potency or infectivity amongst other things. We also know that there are up to around 200 mutations of corona circulating. However, so far this is the first that I have heard affects antibody production. Indeed most of the mutations are insignificant, random changes that have been said not to potentially affect the efficacy of the vaccines. This one is different, and potentially far more serious. Luckily the Danes are on this and aware that this variant in particular, must be stopped in it's tracks. I hope we shall eliminate this virus BEFORE it has killed off too many of it's hosts.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Except were a virus is highly infectious before symptoms are apparent because then it has replicated and moved on to a new host before the first host has died.

I now think Corona virus is like an invisible loaded gun, playing it's own game of Russian Roulette :( .....................

Reactions: ert

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I used Testing for All. My reading was 0.07. You need over 1 to have antibodies. My son’s reading was 25.08. Quite a difference.
Did you have trouble with the lancet? I'm a type 1 diabetic so thought I'd find it easy, as I finger prick all the time, but I was left feeling I was bloodless.

Max68

Well thankfully my FIT test came back normal so that's one less thing to worry about! Dental appointment was ok. Staff in masks and visors, temp check on entry so all quite good considering. Have to go back end of months for some treatment but not much choice so will go with it. Probably safer than going to a shop to be honest.

Interestingly spoke to a mate who works in London. He runs a hire company which is deemed a necessity so is travelling up as normal. He said the roads were packed today and nothing seemed much different to yesterday, so not sure if people are ignoring the rules or not.

Read as well about the new guidance that all clinically extremely vulnerable children and staff should NOT attend school. I must say it's all rather mind boggling as to how it's safe for them to go to school in October but not November! The mere clinically vulnerable (us) are just told to limit contacts, which of course is impossible in a school!

Reactions: ert

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well thankfully my FIT test came back normal so that's one less thing to worry about! Dental appointment was ok. Staff in masks and visors, temp check on entry so all quite good considering. Have to go back end of months for some treatment but not much choice so will go with it. Probably safer than going to a shop to be honest.

Interestingly spoke to a mate who works in London. He runs a hire company which is deemed a necessity so is travelling up as normal. He said the roads were packed today and nothing seemed much different to yesterday, so not sure if people are ignoring the rules or not.

Read as well about the new guidance that all clinically extremely vulnerable children and staff should NOT attend school. I must say it's all rather mind boggling as to how it's safe for them to go to school in October but not November! The mere clinically vulnerable (us) are just told to limit contacts, which of course is impossible in a school!
My Hubby works in a “necessary industry” and is travelling as normal too - said the traffic was horrendous today - don’t think people are ignoring the rules necessarily- there is a lot more businesses and people still working in this lockdown than last so probably more to do with that than breaking the rules

Reactions: Jbicheno

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We had a dog walk along a normally very busy road into our town from the by-pass. It was noticeably quieter than normal, and on the side roads in the residential areas there were more cars parked in the driveways than previously.

Reactions: hankjam

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
People are still having to get to work, including most educational establishments being open, so why would there be much less traffic?

Reactions: Jbicheno