Covid and Work, Covid Advice and General Chat

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Apparently Gibraltar is the only place left on the travel corridor. Not that we allowed to travel for th etc e be8ng anyway (other than work)
From the .Gov website just now
From 4am on Saturday 7 November 2020 there are new rules for anyone arriving in the UK from Denmark. This includes travellers from the Faroe Islands and Greenland who transit through Denmark. British nationals, visa holders and permanent residents who have travelled to Denmark in the preceding 14 days will have to self-isolate along with their household.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
From the .Gov website just now
From 4am on Saturday 7 November 2020 there are new rules for anyone arriving in the UK from Denmark. This includes travellers from the Faroe Islands and Greenland who transit through Denmark. British nationals, visa holders and permanent residents who have travelled to Denmark in the preceding 14 days will have to self-isolate along with their household.
If this is up to the individuals to self isolate, we are doomed, considering how many didn't bother in the summer.

Reactions: Picci

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If this is up to the individuals to self isolate, we are doomed, considering how many didn't bother in the summer.

Well, the penalties now are a bit heftier:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-package-to-support-and-enforce-self-isolation

upload_2020-11-7_19-53-58.png

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How would you propose that be done?
I believe some countries have adopted Smart Phones so that they show green when you re clear, but have a positive covid test and the authorities turn it red. People are asked by enforcement officers. bouncers .doormen etc to show their phone screen when requested. The names China, S Korea and Phillipines come to mind, but I could be wrong.

The same phone app also sneaks on you when you break curfew since they are geolocator devices too. Also, the bluetooth is used to record all contacts with infected people even though you do not know it. This log can be downloaded by test and trace squads. Big Brother is watching you. But not me since my phone is steam powered.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe some countries have adopted Smart Phones so that they show green when you re clear, but have a positive covid test and the authorities turn it red. People are asked by enforcement officers. bouncers .doormen etc to show their phone screen when requested. The names China, S Korea and Phillipines come to mind, but I could be wrong.

The same phone app also sneaks on you when you break curfew since they are geolocator devices too. Also, the bluetooth is used to record all contacts with infected people even though you do not know it. This log can be downloaded by test and trace squads. Big Brother is watching you. But not me since my phone is steam powered.

For those who would be trying to break quarantine, it could seem reasonable to consider they might get "forgetful", and "forget" to take their phones with them, when leaving home.

For the avoidance of doubt, I'm not advocating that or anything else.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For those who would be trying to break quarantine, it could seem reasonable to consider they might get "forgetful", and "forget" to take their phones with them, when leaving home.

For the avoidance of doubt, I'm not advocating that or anything else.
You try getting my kids to leave their phones for more than 10 minutes, and I can tell you they cannot live under those restrictions. I think what you said is why the IOW trials failed earlier this year.

PS - I know someone who takes their battery out until they need their next 'fix'. Certainly, the footage I saw of China showed that those without their phones when agents stopped them were arrested on the spot in the Wuhan documentary. The citizens could not get in or out of their apartments or enter a shop without showing their phone screen = green. Of course, China is not a free society like wot we are used to.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You try getting my kids to leave their phones for more than 10 minutes, and I can tell you they cannot live under those restrictions. I think what you said is why the IOW trials failed earlier this year.

PS - I know someone who takes their battery out until they need their next 'fix'. Certainly, the footage I saw of China showed that those without their phones when agents stopped them were arrested on the spot in the Wuhan documentary. The citizens could not get in or out of their apartments or enter a shop without showing their phone screen = green. Of course, China is not a free society like wot we are used to.

Would your kids leave their phones at home, if the risk was a criminal record and a fine, up to £10,000?

I'm not sure how entry to ones own home could be controlled, but again, I doubt it's a big muscle-bound chap standing on guard outside the front doors of each person in isolation.

Most people are trustworthy, but there are always those who consider rules apply to everyone else.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How would you propose that be done?
Look - the government has mandated this idea, I suppose they have the means to get their backsides into gear and actually do tracking on these people???? Using the police and checking they are where they should be?
I feel your tone is one of implying this is impossible and I am talking rubbish.
The ones coming in should be housed in reserved hotels for 14 days for the safety of us all. That aint going to happen, but it should if this government is the least bit genuinely concerned with our safety.

Reactions: Fairygodmother

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Wouldn’t work with my OHs phone either as his is just the basic one with no Bluetooth etc.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Look - the government has mandated this idea, I suppose they have the means to get their backsides into gear and actually do tracking on these people???? Using the police and checking they are where they should be?
I feel your tone is one of implying this is impossible and I am talking rubbish.
The ones coming in should be housed in reserved hotels for 14 days for the safety of us all. That aint going to happen, but it should if this government is the least bit genuinely concerned with our safety.

I'm not trying to be offensive to anyone, and to be honest, I asked the question in as few words as possible, in an effort to try to avoid any heightened emotion. Seems I failed this time around.

I too feel frustrated about some of the things being asked of us, in their futility and ineffectiveness. All I have tried to do is overlay a layer of practicality on all of these things.

Unfortunately, crime hasn't stopped with COVID around. Theoretically, of course, the criminals should be staying home, but in reality, they're out there doing their thing. In this village that includes breaking into homes to steal car keys to take cars away. I'm sure those burglars would claim they are trying to stay at a "social distance" from their victims. our village Facebook page posts a summary of the previous weeks activity by the police officers manning/dealing with the village. They don't seem to be twiddling their thumbs.[irony off ]

In Thailand, they have opened their borders a teeny- tiny chink, with incomers allowed from a very small number of countries - primarily China. Their quarantine arrangements involve the sort of thing you are advocating. It's not working too well, yet this is in a country where police compliance in this sort of thing is usually pretty high. (It happens to be very low in other circumstances, but that's a whole different moral and cultural debate.)

Wherever any of us sits on the spectrum, I think, without exception, people are frustrated and experiencing lockdown-burnout to a variable extent. I don't know what the answer to it is, but it feels like it's not going to be over any time soon.

Wishing every single one of us on this forum, and beyond the best of fortunes in this. Nobody wants to experience this, by all accounts, including your own.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Good grief! So we just have to hope this new strain of virus won't prove resistant to the vaccines we are frantically developing.
If the flu vaccine/jab is anything to go by it’ll have to be tweaked every year.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

The film "Logan's run" comes to mind.. ;)

Reactions: zand

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hmmm perhaps the phone system was always 'meant to fail'. How long till someone suggests compulsorily microchipping us...? ;)
They are mooting that to replace the Libre sensor. I believe Apple is working on one that links to the AppleWatch, and uses an enzyme battery to power up from the glucose in the blood supply. NGK has developed a ceramic battery that can power very small devices and be embedded in the body. Also microcharges itself from ambient airwaves from phones and wifi. These things are coming. We already get access to pacemakers that ring the surgery to give updates and last for years before needing replacement.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My son has been at work as a policeman with very few days off since this whole debacle started. They have to put up with abuse that in many countries would just get you shot. Anybody who feels that police have the manpower/time to do what they do in Far Eastern countries are living in some sort of parallel universe. We live in a free democratic country where people/lawyers would not allow it to happen. I know where I’d rather live. We get monetary support here to allow us to stay at home. We moan incessantly about what the government are or are not doing. Quite frankly we don’t know we are born.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I'm over 30 and the light on my hand hasn't come on yet!! ;)

Watch out if it's turns red.......................:wideyed: Cracking film Logans Run, love a bit of sci fi, lets just hope we don't get to that stage :nailbiting:

Last edited:
Reactions: oldgreymare

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My son has been at work as a policeman with very few days off since this whole debacle started. They have to put up with abuse that in many countries would just get you shot. Anybody who feels that police have the manpower/time to do what they do in Far Eastern countries are living in some sort of parallel universe. We live in a free democratic country where people/lawyers would not allow it to happen. I know where I’d rather live. We get monetary support here to allow us to stay at home. We moan incessantly about what the government are or are not doing. Quite frankly we don’t know we are born.
Particularly relevant on Remembrance Sunday. If we think our freedoms are being curtailed too much due to the reaction of pandemic, them perhaps we ought to consider if we would have any freedom at all without the sacrifices by previous generations.
We will remember them!