"What have you eaten" Parallel Chat

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Antje77 as promised!
@Annb please tell how your family is doing; I've been thinking about you and yours.
We have an absolutely gorgeous day here!
IMG_1604938479.050828.jpg

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
It's only 10:10 and already son, and I, have pulled victory out of disaster! I had a dr appt, was not let in the building bc I don't lie (about my chronic cough from drainage/allergies/asthma), but after I fumed at various and sundry, I thought to call them back and see if they could come out in the parking lot to give me a flu shot, and they could! And did! Son has had a nasty reaction to stopping/restarting a med, but feels normal today. The sun shines!! Birds sing!! And it's only 10:15!

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@ianpspurs awwwww.... it is actually just a ratty suburban back yard in a very mature subdivision, so there are a couple three hardwoods on the ordinary sized lot which are twice as old as the 61-ye-old house. (I know, I know... but here and particularly in suburbia, that is some serious age!) The phone camera flatters the size significantly.

Reactions: ianpspurs

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@Goonergal are we playing keep up with the Joneses? You know your photos are always stunning!

Reactions: DJC3

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal are we playing keep up with the Joneses? You know your photos are always stunning!

I just felt like showing off. I expected this morning to be heavy cloud, as forecast, so was particularly pleased with the sunrise. Did make me a tad late for work as I spent too long with the camera and was therefore slower than anticipated.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
We are Free! Out of quarantine and into the shops. Actually no. Did go to the launderette. Was horrified at people ignoring the rule of masks indoors ( the owner was not wearing one) How many people does she see in a day? and the obvious lack of social distancing. Walked along the short row of shops, Despite notices saying "All our staff wear face coverings" some were not. The mini supermarket had a " max 10 people" sign. Again apparently ignored.
Waited until six had exited before I went in, shopped in five mins flat. Cauliflower, lump of cheese, two ready meals, pack of mince and some soft drinks. We are sorted for a couple of days now.
Shame about the damp drizzly weather. Not the nicest day for first meeting with my parents since last boxing day.
Also MrSlim had an unfortunate encounter with a pheasant. So now the MOT will also include small amount of body work repair and a new headlight.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Oh my word @SlimLizzy an eventful day indeed. Masks and people are impossible to figure out. Glad you got to see your parents even in a drizzle-- that is a long time with no visiting! Ugh pheasant. Headlight assemblies are not cheap. I had to look up MOT. I've been guessing it was like our State Inspections, and was right. But here, it's all up to each state to decide all the regulations. My brother lives in a state that does not require them at all, and also I think you can get your full driver's license at 15 and marry at 14.....
@MrsA2 thanks!

Reactions: DJC3

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all and big thank you to @zauberflote for setting this up for us to have a chat when we have time. I love the idea but am often time poor but I’m going to try and contribute.
Funny day today as decided to put on a new sensor - I haven’t had one since early summer as until lockdown the pool was open for 45 mins swimming sessions and probably a bit long for the sensor so decided to put one on during enforced pool closure. I was keen to get it on my arm in a less likely to be knocked position and thought hadfound a good place but was clearly right above a vein I produced so much blood that I could have filled one of those tubes for private blood testing! It was everywhere! It’s also not stuck as well as I’d like because of the blood under the sensor. It’s stayed on though so will see.
I’ve missed you guys while I’ve been away from forum.i have read entries when I could as great to feel in touch. My life as a carer has just been too complex and time consuming mainly because of my autistic adult son who is not very safe just now and needs lots of input to make sure that he stays safe. It’s been a very worrying time not helped by needing to do lots of care visits to mum.lockdown though means mums 2nd operation is delayed so I’m at home again until the call comes re the date.shes well though and first eye operation a great success would all be easier if she didn’t live 128 miles away from us.
Thinking of you all and looking forward to reading your news welcome back to England @SlimLizzy btw.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Thanks Ian and Antje. I don't know why I couldn't see anything, but all's well now. Great idea @zauberflote. Be careful what you ask for - you might regret it.

All quiet on the Western (Isles) front. Had my flu jab yesterday - made me feel pretty grotty today; first time ever. No 2 son had his yesterday as well but felt no ill effects. Neil has to have his on Monday. We sent the Scenic for MOT but the garage didn't check it - just looked at the tiny stone chip on the windscreen and said it would fail. So we had to order a new one - took a week to get it, so the car has been illegal since Sunday. Had to use it though, to get to the pop-up clinic - only about 5 miles away. Scenic is currently at the garage getting the new windscreen put in. It will go for MOT on Thursday. Then we will be legally driving again.

Em has been coming in on her way home from school but a couple of days ago, she rapidly went to the larder and I asked her what she was looking for (silly question, that was obvious) but, quite openly, "My after school snack" - of course. I think you call it cupboard love, she loves my cupboard.

She was using the laptop today to key in some notes about Guru Nanak - she had RE today. So I asked her about other faiths she's learned about - Mohammad? (didn't ring any bells), Buddha? (just a puzzled look but then she remembered a small brass ornament she used to play with), Jesus? (a slightly withering look), Abraham? (shrugged shoulders), Moses? (who was that? But then she remembered the story of the baby in the basket, but had never heard of the Commandments). I gave up then - no point flogging a dead horse).

She tried experimenting with chocolate, mint milk - milk with a large spoon of Nutella and what looked like a handful of mint imperials. Not a successful experiment although she said she could taste the mint despite them not melting in the hot milk. (Very sticky clump of mint "eggs" left behind. It's good for her to experiment and see what works, or not.) Next time she comes, she wants to make a fridge cake to take home (biscuits, cream etc, so I'll need to add biscuits to my shopping list).

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Funny day today as decided to put on a new sensor - I haven’t had one since early summer as until lockdown the pool was open for 45 mins swimming sessions and probably a bit long for the sensor
I was keen to get it on my arm in a less likely to be knocked position
Why not use an overpatch? No losing the sensor with long swims, and no more being scared of doorposts.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Why not use an overpatch? No losing the sensor with long swims, and no more being scared of doorposts.
Good idea I’ve got some sticky stuff left that I used to use but in summer when short sleeves on think it looks odd , but as wearing long sleeves just now it would be practical. Swimming not likely to be happening though while I’m wearing this sensor thanks to BJ closing our pools down for a month so will put patch on to keep it secure. Thank you for reminder.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone and thanks again @zauberflote
Good to see you out of quarantine @SlimLizzy I doubt the drizzly weather put much of a dampener on your reunion with your parents.
@shelley262 hugs galore for your very stressful month, you have such a lot to manage and the distance to your mum’s doesn’t make it any easier. I hope you can soon get back to swimming again.
It’s lovely to hear your news as well @Annb I’ve missed hearing tales of Em.
Nothing exciting to report from my neck of the woods, and my photos aren’t worth showing ( they are 99% Dennis anyway) so I’ll go and get ready for Bake off now and see you all later

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone and thanks again @zauberflote
Good to see you out of quarantine @SlimLizzy I doubt the drizzly weather put much of a dampener on your reunion with your parents.
@shelley262 hugs galore for your very stressful month, you have such a lot to manage and the distance to your mum’s doesn’t make it any easier. I hope you can soon get back to swimming again.
It’s lovely to hear your news as well @Annb I’ve missed hearing tales of Em.
Nothing exciting to report from my neck of the woods, and my photos aren’t worth showing ( they are 99% Dennis anyway) so I’ll go and get ready for Bake off now and see you all later
Thank you @DJC3 for your hugs galore I’m missing real hugs from family and friends. I’m trying to get back to land based exercise routine that did in last lockdown but find it unenticing and less stress relieving in comparison to being in the water!
I’m currently working on developing a recipe for low carb bread using wheat gluten and oat fibre it’s close I think to the SLC ones you like but it uses butter rather than the veg oil used in the SLC bread. This batch is really nice and not too complex if next batch works out I’ll post pictures and recipe but like the SLC bread it won’t be ok for anyone here who is gluten intolerant luckily I don’t seem to be,
Edit we’d love to see your photos of Dennis x

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Ian and Antje. I don't know why I couldn't see anything, but all's well now. Great idea @zauberflote. Be careful what you ask for - you might regret it.

All quiet on the Western (Isles) front. Had my flu jab yesterday - made me feel pretty grotty today; first time ever. No 2 son had his yesterday as well but felt no ill effects. Neil has to have his on Monday. We sent the Scenic for MOT but the garage didn't check it - just looked at the tiny stone chip on the windscreen and said it would fail. So we had to order a new one - took a week to get it, so the car has been illegal since Sunday. Had to use it though, to get to the pop-up clinic - only about 5 miles away. Scenic is currently at the garage getting the new windscreen put in. It will go for MOT on Thursday. Then we will be legally driving again.

Em has been coming in on her way home from school but a couple of days ago, she rapidly went to the larder and I asked her what she was looking for (silly question, that was obvious) but, quite openly, "My after school snack" - of course. I think you call it cupboard love, she loves my cupboard.

She was using the laptop today to key in some notes about Guru Nanak - she had RE today. So I asked her about other faiths she's learned about - Mohammad? (didn't ring any bells), Buddha? (just a puzzled look but then she remembered a small brass ornament she used to play with), Jesus? (a slightly withering look), Abraham? (shrugged shoulders), Moses? (who was that? But then she remembered the story of the baby in the basket, but had never heard of the Commandments). I gave up then - no point flogging a dead horse).

She tried experimenting with chocolate, mint milk - milk with a large spoon of Nutella and what looked like a handful of mint imperials. Not a successful experiment although she said she could taste the mint despite them not melting in the hot milk. (Very sticky clump of mint "eggs" left behind. It's good for her to experiment and see what works, or not.) Next time she comes, she wants to make a fridge cake to take home (biscuits, cream etc, so I'll need to add biscuits to my shopping list).
Lovely to hear your news @Annb especially about Ems doings I’ve missed hearing about her.
I wasn’t good after my flu vaccination either but put it down to the fact that I had pneumonia jab in other arm on same day it really did affect my energy and get up and go.