Covid Vaccine Priority

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In a weird way I am relieved my mother passed away in her care home a few years back now. The anxiety of the situation in care homes would have been totally unbearable. It was bad enough watching dementia rob someone of their very being, this would have been too much.

I also think that all frontline workers certainly in the NHS should be top priority along with care home patients... as for the rest, lockdown has meant I could really focus on home cooked food instead of having to eat on the hoof in media centres, and the endless travelling meant I could for once get into a proper training routine. So to that end, if diabetics who were not forcibly shielded fit into the other age groups, then I would be in group 10 on the list, so ok with that.

If we move up to 7 then ok too. I will just wait and see what transpires as we are still a very very VERY long way off!

Reactions: Alexandra100

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As a woman of 78, I am not about to start worrying about possible harm to any unborn child I may be carrying. I imagine pregnant women will not be high on the list for priority vaccination.
It was an example of medicine which appeared safe, but within a year was shown not to be, in an unexpected way, although the connection was not made for several years.

An example.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder if care home patients will be given a choice in the matter. My father would not have wanted the vaccine, he always said when your number is up, you go.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I reckon its going to be 9-12 months before there is enough vaccine and time to get to those under 60 years of age anyway.

If all those medical staff are seconded to vaccinate everyone twice, the whole NHS for non covid services will grind to a halt.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hopefully we will get the results of the Oxford vaccine tests soon. It doesn't need the ultra cold storage, is much cheaper and the UK has ordered more doses. Of course it also needs to work.

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
It may end up being how it is distributed that controls who gets vacc'ed first. A vaccine that needs to be kept at -80deg before use, then has a five day 'expiry' window. The manufacturer has commissioned bags that stay in range for ten days and hold 5000 doses.

What a logistical problem! So you want a region where you can guarantee that the 5000 people that get a first dose are in the same place on a specific day about a week (?) later. And you can handle injecting 1000 people per day in covid-safe environments. Large hospitals, I can see this. Care homes? You can't pull large groups of them together. Even including staff there can't be many with more than 100 people. Mobile injection vans?

I can see schools, unis and large factories (food production etc.) getting done before care homes just because of the logistics.

Edited to agree with Mr_Pot, a vaccine that can be stored at a 'reasonable' temperature would be so much easier

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
If all those medical staff are seconded to vaccinate everyone twice, the whole NHS for non covid services will grind to a halt.
I reckon there's a huge pool of unused talent out here. 'Calling all diabetics on insulin to take on the role of vaccinator!'

Reactions: sleepster
M

Member496333

It may end up being how it is distributed that controls who gets vacc'ed first. A vaccine that needs to be kept at -80deg before use, then has a five day 'expiry' window. The manufacturer has commissioned bags that stay in range for ten days and hold 5000 doses.

What a logistical problem! So you want a region where you can guarantee that the 5000 people that get a first dose are in the same place on a specific day about a week (?) later. And you can handle injecting 1000 people per day in covid-safe environments. Large hospitals, I can see this. Care homes? You can't pull large groups of them together. Even including staff there can't be many with more than 100 people. Mobile injection vans?

I can see schools, unis and large factories (food production etc.) getting done before care homes just because of the logistics.

Edited to agree with Mr_Pot, a vaccine that can be stored at a 'reasonable' temperature would be so much easier

Nightingale hospitals.

M

Member496333

we havent yet heard how those nightingale hospitals are to be staffed, given the shortage of staff in regular hospitals and surgerys.

For sure. They never had the staff to begin with, but I think they will find the staff for mass vaccination. Possibly training some of the Army personnel who are already in the picture. Time will tell.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The additional issue with the COVID vaccine is that all recipients will be required to stay around for 15 minutes, post-injection, as a small safety net against anaphylaxis or other extreme allergic reactions.

I can see how at well organised locations, recipients could be managed in, so ensure minimal down time, between folks, but having a suitable location for COVID safe retention for 15 minutes, could be much trickier. I imagine many vaccination sessions will hapen in the likes of leisure centres will very large sports halls, or such like.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So far I've not been given any information about isolating with being T1D and even if i was to get the vaccine for C-19 I'll not be having it drug approval takes about 10 years to get a vaccine to public use so how have they got it through in 7 months

Cloobie

So far I've not been given any information about isolating with being T1D and even if i was to get the vaccine for C-19 I'll not be having it drug approval takes about 10 years to get a vaccine to public use so how have they got it through in 7 months

I’ll be having it this is a global pandemic they’ve had so much money and resources thrown at it of course it’s been fast tracked I agree it’s uncertain and the long term effects might not be known but in the short term if it saves my life I’ll take anything but I have been shielding for numerous reasons I am extremely clinically vulnerable so I can’t wait to get it. Respect your reasoning tho

Reactions: Speedbird

davd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is certain that some people will have a reaction to any vaccine as some of us will be allergic to the ingredients that are used to make the vaccine.
But that doesn’t make it unsafe for the vast majority of us .
Just like most of us can eat nuts but a minority nuts can cause serious health problems.
But you can be certain that if anyone has a bad reaction to the vaccine the anti vaccine brigade will be all over it on social media.
I for one will have it just to try and get back to near normality.

Reactions: Speedbird

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I was brought up in the Middle East from an early age, 6 months and came back for schooling when I was seven. For ever having jabs for this that and the next thing, remember the Cholera being particularly painful and better with than without. Had my flu jab last week and simply no reaction.
As and when Covid vaccine is ready for me I'll be okay to have it.
As it is a -80°C prep the logistics do sound like a bit of a do.

Reactions: Alexandra100

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
If you are offered a vaccine and refuse, that is certainly your right.

If you then get covid and become severely ill, do you have the right to demand that the nhs nurses, doctors and staff put their lives at risk to treat an illness that you chose to risk?

Do you have the right to increase the risk of severe illness to those vulnerable who cannot be vaccinated? If it comes down to requiring either the unvaccinated to voluntarily self isolate, or the vulnerable to shield, will you isolate, knowing you had a choice whether to vaccinate, but the vulnerable have no choice. (Really don't think this'll happen, but hypothetically).

I'm not picking on you btw, I also believe drunk drivers should receive minimal medical attention, and frequent players of a probably injury-causing sport should have extra medical insurance to cover when injuries happen. Even if all it does is pay back their costs to the nhs.
Whilst I accept that sports injuries cost the NHS money, if none of us played sport the cost to the NHS would be enormous, due to the general decline in public health that would follow. It is the millions who wouldn't dream of taking exercise and spend their days smoking and drinking alcohol who cost the most to treat.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Whilst I accept that sports injuries cost the NHS money, if none of us played sport the cost to the NHS would be enormous, due to the general decline in public health that would follow. It is the millions who wouldn't dream of taking exercise and spend their days smoking and drinking alcohol who cost the most to treat.
Smokers and drinkers contribute a lot to tax revenue so maybe that balances it out.

Reactions: lucylocket61

MarkHaZ123

If you are offered a vaccine and refuse, that is certainly your right.

If you then get covid and become severely ill, do you have the right to demand that the nhs nurses, doctors and staff put their lives at risk to treat an illness that you chose to risk?

Do you have the right to increase the risk of severe illness to those vulnerable who cannot be vaccinated? If it comes down to requiring either the unvaccinated to voluntarily self isolate, or the vulnerable to shield, will you isolate, knowing you had a choice whether to vaccinate, but the vulnerable have no choice. (Really don't think this'll happen, but hypothetically).

I'm not picking on you btw, I also believe drunk drivers should receive minimal medical attention, and frequent players of a probably injury-causing sport should have extra medical insurance to cover when injuries happen. Even if all it does is pay back their costs to the nhs.
What a ridiculous thing to think. So because I play football 2/3 times a week and cycle alot I should be paying more medical insurance just to get help from the NHS.

I play football and cycle so I feel good mentally, so I feel fit and I can help keep my Hba1c levels down.
Would you rather I just sit at home on the sofa and just put weight on and having a **** life just so I don't have the chance of injury.
Surely been obese and in poor health is alot worse for any treatment you might need. It leaves you in a worse way than someone who is fit and healthy. I manage my bloods, in the last year Iv lost a stone in weight and gained alot of muscle in my legs. Maybe I should just let that go and stay safe at home