"What have you eaten" Parallel Chat

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Feeling quite lucky today. Thursday morning is Community Larder day - we used to run it from the local pub car park but a few weeks ago the vicar kindly offered the church which is great as it keeps us all out of the wind and rain ( it’s actually no warmer in there, but at least we are dry) Today however the key holders didn’t turn up. I don’t know why, so we had to set up outside again. It stayed dry and clear all morning which is a great relief. A few more new families turned up today which is good - we are gradually reaching more people who need the support.

Yesterday was awful weather - Dennis and I go to dog agility classes, he’s really taken to it but I’m pretty rubbish with the body language I need to use and my hopeless coordination. I keep confusing him with my directions. He hates getting wet though and as the rain was getting wetter both the trainer and I were trying not to be the first one to wuss out because we were getting drenched. Dennis made the decision for us in the end, by running into the tunnel and refusing to come out!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Life becomes stranger by the minute. I can't stand musicals and for 65.5 years I have happily avoided watching The Wizard of Oz. Today my granddaughter is happily watching it sitting on my lap. There is no way back to Kansas for me now :arghh::arghh: unless master Mahomes makes a magical throw.

Last edited:

lindisfel

Expert
Life becomes stranger by the minute. I can't stand musicals and for 65.5 years I have happily avoided watching The Wizard of Oz. today my granddaughter is happily watching it sitting on my lap. There is no way back to Kansas for me now :arghh::arghh: unless master Mahomes makes a magical throw.
Just follow the Yellow brick road!:)

Reactions: MrsA2

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Noooo! Black pepper, freshly ground. I'm assuming you are all talking about the orange swede we call turnip not the little white fleshed ones? and the neeps (turnip) mashed with loads of butter & black pepper.
:woot::woot::woot:

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Is that the same as Gravlax which I know as salmon cured with sugar, salt and dill and served with a dill & mustard sauce? It certainly doesn't get buried. It's a variation on smoked salmon and served as an appetiser.
You had me questioning both my memory and my aunts knowledge, so I did a quick Google search. Very interesting!
Also very much off topic, so more on the origin of gravlax in the parallel thread:

Traditionally it did get buried, so my aunt was right :). On the other hand, reading into the experiments here shows this has nothing to do with modern day gravlax, so you are right too :): https://nordicfoodlab.wordpress.com/2015/06/04/2015-6-4-gravlax-a-buried-salmon/

From the linked article: "Through looking at their etymology we understand that both were once fermented fish. ‘Gravlax’ means ‘buried salmon’ or ‘grave salmon’."
"Harold McGee explains that these techniques were used in remote places where huge quantities of fish were caught in a short period of time and where (and when) salt was a rare good [McGee, 2004]. The solution was to bury the clean and lightly salted fish in a ‘grave’ dug into the earth, add some carbohydrates (bark, whey or malted barley) and some antioxidants (pine needles or berries) [Levin and Al., 1964]. This traditional method creates the conditions for the lacto-fermentation process that preserves the fish. Enzymes and bacteria from the fish flesh would break down protein and fat to produce a buttery texture with a cheesy, ammoniated smell. An ‘acquired’ taste as one would say, though not so pleasant to most of us nowadays."

Last edited:

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have ordered some but they seem to only weigh 65 gms each and my 2 slices of skinny bread work out at 75 gms with the slicer set to the widest. I sense bitter disappointment on the horizon which won't offset any hint of eggs or palm oil guilt. Still, I live in hope. I guess even being quite petite for a man, IMHO - 6 foot and 73/74 kgs - my idea of portion size is still very different to many here.
@DJC3 I agree about swede mashed with butter and pepper - how did that happen? Then I read white pepper which I can’t stand so normal service resumed. @shelley262 I agree roast swede is far better than roast celeriac - not hard but a clear winner. Celeriac and swede mashed is far better for me than celeriac alone, even with some butter to placate Julie.
There is not a lot of egg in these imo - I have already enquired - they said there is under 1 large egg used in a whole loaf and less than a quarter of an egg in each roll just for your info or anyone's if they are interested :)

Reactions: DJC3

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@SlimLizzy good news for your nephew, but yes, the waiting to hear the results will be hard on both of them. The thing about your son is So Bizarre. I don't know details of the tracking system you mention-- but you're right, in that case it sure didn't work. I read "we took the cat in for repair", decided it had really been "car" and I just have Cat on my brain-- but you did typo "cat" lol. And glad you can visit those who most need visiting. Secondary insomnia I think they call it. I do that too except for a little pill I've been taking almost 20 years that lets me get 5 hours guaranteed, but then it's worn off and I'm on my own. Sigh.
@DJC3 seriously, how can you mess up brownies, right?!! That's a "first recipe for real cooking" for me.
Ha. The above was written maybe 2 days ago. Clearly I have spawned a wonderful creature which I can't keep up with!
So, behind by 25 posts but going to catch up later.
On the home front: some problem with washer spin cycle which resulted in maybe a gallon or so of rinse water on the floor, creeping downhill into the next room-- furnace, chest freezer,&litter boxes-- and out into the shag-carpeted (YUK I hate that stuff) hallway. I investigated as best I could after laying newspaper to sop up the mess. Nothing outside or inside the machine is wet. Time for a repair person who is old enough to work on vintage mechanical-control, immortal Maytags.
Elder son reported yesterday having been one lazy work decision away from exposure to covid. Bullet dodged. It's an outbreak at a county voting registrar's office. The other side of the building is son's territory, and he lazily avoided his work errand at the registrar's.
Younger son back at work after last weekend's medication reaction, resulting work-required covid test+isolation until results came back-- this morning, yay!! He was, of course, negative, so could shop for me today and is back at work 0600 tomorrow.
I have a cat on my lap but it's time to go do something other than despair of finding a competent repair person.
@Antje77 are those your Lazer Eyz Kittehs?

Reactions: Mrs T 123

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I wish! I have only 3 cats, and they definitely don't get along well enough to be that close to eachother. Becoming a crazy old cat person sounds like a perfect goal in life but my cats won't let me :(
Stole the picture from the google, I can only dream of making pictures like that!

Good luck with your washing machine and your swimming pool!

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Strange day of emotions today - got my new uniform at work and felt strange - I now feel my old job has definitely gone and I can't believe where I am now and not sure I like it if I am honest - much preferred the salary that went with my old job that's for sure - although I am grateful I have got another job when so many haven't but like us all at the moment not sure what the future holds and I don't really like the feeling of not being in control ... but he ho we all just have to get on with things that we can't change and accept it ...

Virtual hugs to @shelley262 it's not easy being part of the sandwich generation (having both elderly parents and adult kids dependent on us and holding down a job) - I think that's what they call us nowadays - for me the last five years have been hard - my dad died over 3 years ago and was unwell for around the year before that and it was countless worry and hospital visits etc. and now it is only me and my brother (who is disabled) so I am the main carer for my mum also - btw similarly she has had her 2 eyes done too and her eyesight has improved tremendously. Hang on in there deep breaths, count to 10 and relax. Remember and make an appointment for/with me time for yourself - it is the best advice I have been given from a former colleague and I keep going back to it when the going gets tough - look after yourself and take care x

@zauberflote Ok I admit it I am so jealous of your lovely weather - I have really missed my holiday in the sun this year - hopefully fingers crossed - all with be ok for next year!

@DJC3 My mum used to make the swede with the butter and pepper too - lovely - it is so awkward to cut is what puts me off it.

@Annb love the Em stories - so sweet - keep them coming

Last edited:

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Life becomes stranger by the minute. I can't stand musicals and for 65.5 years I have happily avoided watching The Wizard of Oz. Today my granddaughter is happily watching it sitting on my lap. There is no way back to Kansas for me now :arghh::arghh: unless master Mahomes makes a magical throw.
Aww - so cute - enjoy!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Saw this on Facebook and thought of this group.

AB9627EC-D404-4918-B084-D04BFEEC6A89.jpeg

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@SlimLizzy good news for your nephew, but yes, the waiting to hear the results will be hard on both of them. The thing about your son is So Bizarre. I don't know details of the tracking system you mention-- but you're right, in that case it sure didn't work. I read "we took the cat in for repair", decided it had really been "car" and I just have Cat on my brain-- but you did typo "cat" lol. And glad you can visit those who most need visiting. Secondary insomnia I think they call it. I do that too except for a little pill I've been taking almost 20 years that lets me get 5 hours guaranteed, but then it's worn off and I'm on my own. Sigh.
@DJC3 seriously, how can you mess up brownies, right?!! That's a "first recipe for real cooking" for me.
Ha. The above was written maybe 2 days ago. Clearly I have spawned a wonderful creature which I can't keep up with!
So, behind by 25 posts but going to catch up later.
On the home front: some problem with washer spin cycle which resulted in maybe a gallon or so of rinse water on the floor, creeping downhill into the next room-- furnace, chest freezer,&litter boxes-- and out into the shag-carpeted (YUK I hate that stuff) hallway. I investigated as best I could after laying newspaper to sop up the mess. Nothing outside or inside the machine is wet. Time for a repair person who is old enough to work on vintage mechanical-control, immortal Maytags.
Elder son reported yesterday having been one lazy work decision away from exposure to covid. Bullet dodged. It's an outbreak at a county voting registrar's office. The other side of the building is son's territory, and he lazily avoided his work errand at the registrar's.
Younger son back at work after last weekend's medication reaction, resulting work-required covid test+isolation until results came back-- this morning, yay!! He was, of course, negative, so could shop for me today and is back at work 0600 tomorrow.
I have a cat on my lap but it's time to go do something other than despair of finding a competent repair person.

Glad about the good news for both your sons. But horrible news about the washer flood. Repairers seem rarer than hens teeth these days. Good luck.
Yes! You are a victim of your own success with the wonderful creature you have spawned. Well done.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Saw this on Facebook and thought of this group.

View attachment 45363
Sounds like my son - he is only 19 - eats all of the advent calendar on 1st December - he always has done and then closes the doors back up but his brother on the other hand does it properly, funnily enough the same rule breaker if he is given money from me for xmas usually has it all spent by December but again his brother always wants to wait until 25th December to receive his money - 2 brothers but very different when it comes to December/Christmas

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Strange day of emotions today - got my new uniform at work and felt strange - I now feel my old job has definitely gone and I can't believe where I am now and not sure I like it if I am honest - much preferred the salary that went with my old job that's for sure - although I am grateful I have got another job when so many haven't but like us all at the moment not sure what the future holds and I don't really like the feeling of not being in control ... but he ho we all just have to get on with things that we can't change and accept it ...

@DJC3 My mum used to make the swede with the butter and pepper too - lovely - it is so awkward to cut is what puts me off it.

I agree about the peeling/ cutting swede. It’s what puts me off too.
Good philosophy about just getting on with things we can’t change, I hope you settle into your new job soon. I always found it took a good 6 months to feel comfortable in a new job

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Grotty again today. It started well enough with some bits off of roasted chicken legs, refried but I decided I had to do something with the huge piece of beef shin I had in the freezer (I'm sure I had something in mind when I bought it, but can't think what it might have been) and some pork mince, also out of the freezer. Then I realised that some of the veg were getting on a bit so had to make soup. It was all going so well until I had some of the soup for lunch and my system rebelled again, so I've been laying down wrapped in a blanket - so cold!) until DIL and Em came in for a visit to borrow tools from Neil. Neil was out - collecting the, now legal, Scenic from the garage. So they had to wait a little while.

I hadn't realised that DIL had any kind of a problem, other than the current difficulties with covid restrictions but she was telling me that she has been feeling unable to cope recently (she puts on a brave face) and finally asked for a phone call from a doctor due to mental health issues. The doctor seems to have been far from helpful, telling her to pull herself together, go out and visit others (how many houses can she visit?) to do some exercise (in the howling gales we are having right now and/or heavy rain), to go swimming (we have no gym or swimming pool open just now), to get a wet suit and swim in the sea - on her own! No help at all really. She does have a record of mental health issues, so I think it was a pretty poor show. She'll probably be allright - No 2 son is big and calm and in previous instances, managed to bring her out of it. But with all the talk about reaching out for help when our mental health is deteriorating, it's not good.

Em came in to borrow a football sized ball to practice for a football tryout in school tomorrow and says she'll come tomorrow to make the fridge cake - Neil bought biscuits for it today when he went to a supermarket, on his way home with the car. She's also asking for a proper sewing machine for Christmas so that she can learn to make things on her own.

The beef shin has been slow cooked on the hob and is falling apart. I'll have plenty to make lots of dishes - chilli con carne, ragout, plain beef stew, something oriental and still have plenty left over. I'm using some of it - not slow cooked, to make some sausages to go into the pork dish that I'm planning. I just have to get around to actually doing it without having to fall back into the big chair.

Reactions: zauberflote

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree about the peeling/ cutting swede. It’s what puts me off too.
Good philosophy about just getting on with things we can’t change, I hope you settle into your new job soon. I always found it took a good 6 months to feel comfortable in a new job
I have settled in fine - the job's fine - people are all nice and I have made a lot of new friends already but it is just different and I think like a lot of people I just don't like change .. especially the big drop in salary being the main thing x

Last edited:
Reactions: DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

You had me questioning both my memory and my aunts knowledge, so I did a quick Google search. Very interesting!
Also very much off topic, so more on the origin of gravlax in the parallel thread:

Traditionally it did get buried, so my aunt was right :). On the other hand, reading into the experiments here shows this has nothing to do with modern day gravlax, so you are right too :): https://nordicfoodlab.wordpress.com/2015/06/04/2015-6-4-gravlax-a-buried-salmon/

From the linked article: "Through looking at their etymology we understand that both were once fermented fish. ‘Gravlax’ means ‘buried salmon’ or ‘grave salmon’."
"Harold McGee explains that these techniques were used in remote places where huge quantities of fish were caught in a short period of time and where (and when) salt was a rare good [McGee, 2004]. The solution was to bury the clean and lightly salted fish in a ‘grave’ dug into the earth, add some carbohydrates (bark, whey or malted barley) and some antioxidants (pine needles or berries) [Levin and Al., 1964]. This traditional method creates the conditions for the lacto-fermentation process that preserves the fish. Enzymes and bacteria from the fish flesh would break down protein and fat to produce a buttery texture with a cheesy, ammoniated smell. An ‘acquired’ taste as one would say, though not so pleasant to most of us nowadays."
Interesting - will stick to my method though. If I buried salmon I'd be fearful that flaming squirrel that is digging up the spring bulbs and running off with them would make off with it too!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Virtual hugs to @shelley262 it's not easy being part of the sandwich generation (having both elderly parents and adult kids dependent on us and holding down a job) - I think that's what they call us knowadays - for me the last five years have been hard - my dad died over 3 years ago and was unwell for around the year before that and it was countless worry and hospital visits etc. and now it is only me and my brother (who is disabled) so I am the main carer for my mum also - btw similarly she has had her 2 eyes done too and her eyesight has improved tremendously. Hang on in there deep breaths, count to 10 and relax. Remember and make an appointment for/with me time for yourself - it is the best advice I have been given from a former colleague and I keep going back to it when the going gets tough - look after yourself and take care x

@zauberflote Ok I admit it I am so jealous of your lovely weather - I have really missed my holiday in the sun this year - hopefully fingers crossed - all with be ok for next year!

@Annb love the Em stories - so sweet - keep them coming
Thank you so much for the virtual hugs particularly appreciated today as have had a even more difficult day than usual with adult autistic son. Good news about your mums eyes - it helps when sight improves I was getting quite concerned about mums safety before her first op she does now seem safer getting around being able to see! Love the idea of making an appointment with yourself! I found the regular swimming a bit like that and missing it at the moment.
Pleased you’ve found a new job but it does seem unfair how much pay varies with different jobs and it often doesn’t reflect the value of the job - often the most beneficial jobs have lower pay...... hope you’re enjoying the job.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Phew. The John Lewis Christmas advert is out so UK Christmas is saved. I feel a merch fest coming on. It is, apparently, what grandparents do and this year the profits go to charity. Spiffing pyjamas IMHO

Last edited:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Phew. The John Lewis Christmas advert is out so UK Christmas is saved. I feel a merch fest coming on. It is, apparently, what grandparents do and this year the profits go to charity. Spiffing pyjamas IMHO

Enjoy the run up to Christmas Ian. Em had to be persuaded not to deliver her Christmas gifts to her school friends just yet. She has them wrapped and labelled already. Clearly, Christmas excitement is starting early this year - probably due to the "Novembermas" idea on TV. There won't be any carol singers around the place this year, I suppose. I shall just have to be my own caroller. I do enjoy a good, traditional Christmas carol.