JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
The reason our local school has closed is that apart from number of the pupils having to isolate there are seven teachers who are having to isolate or have tested positive for covid 19..

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm beginning to wonder if some people are actually more dangerous than the virus!
They always have been!
The only thing I am am learning from fb these days is that stupidity infects many many more people and to a much greater extent than I ever envisaged

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
A nurse in the United States tweeted the other day that some patients she is treating in ICU for covid 19 are still insisting that they do not have the virus as it is all a hoax and that they just have the flu or some other respiratory disease.

First law of stupidity.

"Always and inevitably everyone underestimates the number of stupid individuals in circulation."

Reactions: Jbicheno and JRT

Tannith

BANNED
Today I got a call from my GP surgery regarding flu jab (which I haven't taken this year because of covid). They said they were expecting vaccine (covid) in December. That it would be administered by groups of GP practices working together, and issued in one practice for each group. That they were hoping to be the chosen practice and that they thought the fact that they had a car park might make this more likely. They said that the vaccine would be administered also "in town" ( I live in a village 2 miles from a city). That it would also be issued at the airport ( of a neighbouring city). I have of course no idea whether this information would apply to other areas, but for what it's worth I'm posting it.

Max68

A nurse in the United States tweeted the other day that some patients she is treating in ICU for covid 19 are still insisting that they do not have the virus as it is all a hoax and that they just have the flu or some other respiratory disease.

First law of stupidity.

"Always and inevitably everyone underestimates the number of stupid individuals in circulation."

On another site someone who is very much a conspiracy theorist posted the results of a Danish study regarding if masks were effective protection for the wearer. They posted the results which suggested that protection was somewhat limited but they "forgot" to add other conclusions of the study which took into account certain variables, like the study was done back in April when most of the Danish population weren't wearing masks and that masks are mainly effective in protecting others! Even the creators of the study stated the results weren't "conclusive" due to these variables.

Others having a different opinion is fine but it's the misinformation that some people post that is dangerous, when they conveniently forget to mention parts of articles/studies that don't fit their own agenda.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Today I got a call from my GP surgery regarding flu jab (which I haven't taken this year because of covid). They said they were expecting vaccine (covid) in December. That it would be administered by groups of GP practices working together, and issued in one practice for each group. That they were hoping to be the chosen practice and that they thought the fact that they had a car park might make this more likely. They said that the vaccine would be administered also "in town" ( I live in a village 2 miles from a city). That it would also be issued at the airport ( of a neighbouring city). I have of course no idea whether this information would apply to other areas, but for what it's worth I'm posting it.

I am sure all GP's and pharmacies and other similar places are already putting plans in action for if and when a vaccine arrives. Some have already been interviewed for TV news items and are busy planning.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
On another site someone who is very much a conspiracy theorist posted the results of a Danish study regarding if masks were effective protection for the wearer. They posted the results which suggested that protection was somewhat limited but they "forgot" to add other conclusions of the study which took into account certain variables, like the study was done back in April when most of the Danish population weren't wearing masks and that masks are mainly effective in protecting others! Even the creators of the study stated the results weren't "conclusive" due to these variables.

Others having a different opinion is fine but it's the misinformation that some people post that is dangerous, when they conveniently forget to mention parts of articles/studies that don't fit their own agenda.
For what its worth here is an actual link to the afore mentioned study which despite its inconclusive conclusions and discussion (it hoped to show that wearing a mask might prevent the wearer getting infected but did not do that and never aimed to show if masks prevented transmission)
It seems like a well run study in that it was randomised, large and run at a time in April/May when there was believed to be 2% infection rate in the community. The outcome (infection) was tested for by pcr but also lateral flow and they excluded those who were antibody positive.
Out of 6,000 about 100 tested positive and of these 48 were mask wearers and 52 were not. All of them went outside their homes.
Regardless of the mask question what this tells me is that even at just past peak infectivity not many people managed to catch Covid when the testing was done thoroughly rather than just with pcr. Perhaps all the moralising over mask wearing might lessen if we were to discover that infection rates are lower than we imagine? It is getting tiresome to be told that if you don't mask up you're a covidiot or conspiracy theorist as some of the people on this thread opining!
https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/M20-6817

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am sure all GP's and pharmacies and other similar places are already putting plans in action for if and when a vaccine arrives. Some have already been interviewed for TV news items and are busy planning.
If that's true I wonder when GPs will do their day jobs!

Max68

It is getting tiresome to be told that if you don't mask up you're a covidiot or conspiracy theorist as some of the people on this thread opining!

I've not accused anyone on this site of being a covidiot or conspiracy theorist! I may not agree with everyone and fully expect many to disagree with me but I'd like to think that whilst we don't necessarily agree all the time we respect others opinions. I'm debating some other people on other sites who produce stats and studies without showing the whole scenario, thus two sides of the coin. People can't make their minds up to come to a personal conclusion/decision if all the facts are not on the table and that's what I am saying.

The study in itself is interesting but what the person on the other site didn't mention was further conclusions thus the below.

"A study of more than 6,000 Danes published today by Rigshospitalet has been unable to find clear evidence that facemasks provide significant protection against coronavirus transmission.

Researchers expected to see a halving of the risk of transmission in cases where subjects were wearing masks, but the results showed a far more moderate rate of protection: at around 15-20 percent.

HOWEVER, the Rigshospitalet press briefing underlined that these results should not raise doubts as to whether masks are effective.

Conclusions of the results are somewhat masked
The study split subjects into two groups: those who always wore surgical masks when leaving the home, and those who did not. After following the subjects for a month, 1.8 percent of those who wore a mask caught the infection, compared to 2.1 percent of the control group. This difference was not large enough to conclude that there is a serious advantage to wearing a mask.

HOWEVER, a key element lies in the fact that the study was carried out early this year, in April and May, when mask-wearing – far from being mandatory – was an unusual sight. At the time of the study, it is estimated that less than 5 percent of the population (of those not working within the health service) were regularly using masks.

More needed to wear masks
The researchers point out that the results of the report are in line with what is to be expected when most of the population ISN'T wearing a mask. Previous research has shown that mask wearing is at its most effective when the majority follow suit.

So, far from undermining government guidelines of mandatory mask-wearing, the study may instead support efforts to encourage more people to wear them.

Further research, it is stressed, must be undertaken to reach a firm conclusion."

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Sadly, it has always been thus, as there has been a shortage of GPs for sometime.
My surgery in semi rural NE Fife is three short....

Max68

Sadly, it has always been thus, as there has been a shortage of GPs for sometime.
My surgery in semi rural NE Fife is three short....

Without going off track re the thread the potential changes to pension rules were a big reason why many "middle aged" GP's retired. My old GP was superb and I only ever saw him. He knew what was "normal" for me and I trusted him implicitly. Problem was the Government started to look at changing the pension age from what I can gather, although I don't know the full in's and out's, and he decided to get out rather than waiting and being told he needed to work another XXX years before he could retire. Whether that all went through and GP's jumped early I don't know but that was the reason why we lost two or three very good GP's at our practice.

Funny story (to me anyway) about my GP. He played for a football team that I ran. Big solid fella so I played him at right back. He was a lovely guy but a tad clumsy and in one match he clattered the opposition winger and left him in agony on the floor. The he does the "It's ok, I'm a Doctor" routine. Never saw anyone be so badly injured one minute but jumping up the next. Obviously didn't want to be treated by the same fella that just kicked him!!

Last edited:

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My surgery is working flat out to look after us. So is the pharmacy attached. They are not swanning around all day. They are working longer hours getting as much routine work for as they can, taking into account covid protection which slows down the appointments. They are doing telephone consultations -this is also work. They are doing flu jabs, which take longer with the additional protection needed.

These ARE their day jobs. They can't magic up extra hours to fit in the appointment times now lost due to keeping patients safe.

And on top of all of that, they are having to fit in the planning, which keeps changing, while losing staff due to infection for themselves or family members.

What, exactly is your problem understanding this? It's been going on for 8 months.

Reactions: UK T1

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Our local hospital is now actively trying to recruit vaccinators .

Kerry_p

Back in February I had a meeting with my consultant, as my diabetes hasn’t been the best my HBA1C has been high. Back then I was told there was no need for me to shield as I wasn’t at risk, since then Iv worked through out within supported living and the hospital as a Healthcare Assistant, and Iv just start university in September but I’m still not at risk apparently!

Smartie16_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I agree the lack of consensus between GPs is unacceptable. I feel incredibly lucky that my consultant recommended I shield, and when I told my GP they agreed. I am under 40, no other health conditions and HbA1c between 47-53 over the years so by all accounts I am low risk. However the thing that made my consultant recommend shielding was my job, as I also work in a school, and he did not believe social distancing would be possible. Indeed, it has now been accepted that children are not expected to follow social distancing measures, but that staff should. My employer recognised the current school set up would not enable distancing and indeed many staff who have been in with the key workers have since been off ill.

The inconsistency has put people at the mercy of their employers. Luckily I have understanding employers and have had plenty of work to do from home, and have if anything been working longer hours than usual, but also full pay the whole time. Our work policy clearly states all vulnerable adults (Inc extremely vulnerable) require a risk assessment before returning to work, so I'm still not sure what my job looks like for September. All measures introduced in schools have to be funded by the schools themselves, so it is incredibly hard for them given the lack of funding over the years.

Is it not a requirement for employers to provide a 'covid safe' work environment? Shielding has been paused, but the wording of the letter makes me think no one else has been downgraded, just that everyone should be stringently following social distancing measures?
Hi I work for an independent privately run SEN College and at first they were all ok with me working from home which I did from 23rd March until September where I started back 2 days a week and working from home the other 3 after we’d had an ofsted visit I was told that I had to work onsite 5 days a week which I complied with as I need the job. However, since this second lockdown I’m beginning to wish that I’d stood my ground as a T1 Diabetic and refused to come back at all as there is no social distancing with students aged 16 - 25 or some of the staff it’s ridiculous some are just not taking it seriously enough for my liking but I’m not sure where I stand with requesting to work from home? Any advice would be gratefully received Thanks

Max68

Hi I work for an independent privately run SEN College and at first they were all ok with me working from home which I did from 23rd March until September where I started back 2 days a week and working from home the other 3 after we’d had an ofsted visit I was told that I had to work onsite 5 days a week which I complied with as I need the job. However, since this second lockdown I’m beginning to wish that I’d stood my ground as a T1 Diabetic and refused to come back at all as there is no social distancing with students aged 16 - 25 or some of the staff it’s ridiculous some are just not taking it seriously enough for my liking but I’m not sure where I stand with requesting to work from home? Any advice would be gratefully received Thanks

You require from your work an Individual Risk Assessment which should be tailored to your needs and done with your input. The best way to get advice on the process is to contact your Union if you are with one.

Tannith

BANNED
Obviously they are all preparing. However it is useful, to me at least, and doubtless to others not wealthy enough to own a car, to hear about the arrangements for grouping GP practices. At least we know that that is the furthest that we shall be required to walk, rather than the 26 mile round trip to the nearest airport. Especially as those first to receive the vaccine will be mostly the disabled and the over 80s, unable to walk far. And that vaccines will not be reserved for those who have private transport as it seems tests often are at present. I doubt many pharmacies will be handing over their business premises as vaccination centres, though pharmacists may well be employed in govt vaccination centres if they are trained to give injections.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
[QUOTE="NicoleC1971, post: 2332667, Perhaps all the moralising over mask wearing might lessen if we were to discover that infection rates are lower than we imagine?[/QUOTE]

Yep, and then the law might change to reflect that...meanwhile.....

Reactions: Brunneria and zand

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Back in February I had a meeting with my consultant, as my diabetes hasn’t been the best my HBA1C has been high. Back then I was told there was no need for me to shield as I wasn’t at risk, since then Iv worked through out within supported living and the hospital as a Healthcare Assistant, and Iv just start university in September but I’m still not at risk apparently!
Why do you think you are at risk other than the type 1?