Made bone broth - now what?

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So I made bone broth in the slow cooker and now have jelly which I have cut into lumps of varying sizes and frozen.
But how do I actually use the stuff?
I tried it in hot drink with some added water but still had to add Worcestershire sauce and quite a bit of seasoning. I could still only manage half a small mug.

Ideas, amounts and advice please

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Depends on the bones.
I've tried beef stock a number of times and have always thought the time and effort, which is considerable, is not rewarded. The results being generally thin and disappointing.
We have a roast chicken most Sunday's and I make a stock of the bones having peeled off the remaining meat. Everything goes into this, onion, carrot, celery, bay leaves, pepper corns and some garlic. Currently I use the srock for lunch on Tuesday to Friday. Small bowl and add either small amounts of the left over meat or add a few german meatballs, Lidls. It is much more like the thing.
I want to try fish stock but don't have ready access to bones...

Reactions: MrsA2

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use it as stock when cooking in the slow cooker/Instant Pot. Haven’t tried drinking it, but I do enjoy drinking the juices that are left after cooking/eating a joint.

Reactions: MrsA2 and hankjam

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So I made bone broth in the slow cooker and now have jelly which I have cut into lumps of varying sizes and frozen.
But how do I actually use the stuff?
I tried it in hot drink with some added water but still had to add Worcestershire sauce and quite a bit of seasoning. I could still only manage half a small mug.

Ideas, amounts and advice please

Obviously, you could make a soup with it, but otherwise, I tend to view it as I would a (shop bought) stock pot or cube. I tend to utilise the electric pressure cooker to speed the process up a bit.

I have made bone broth and enjoyed it, but it isn't a regular feature in our lives at the moment.

Reactions: MrsA2 and hankjam

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would suggest throwing it away and buying a jar of Bovril.

Reactions: June_C

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
it is lamb bone broth.

So is bone broth really just the stock I'd normally make from a roast, but cooked for much much longer?

I thought bone broth was supposed to have special qualities and/or nutrients and it was to be drunk regularly...?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
it is lamb bone broth.

So is bone broth really just the stock I'd normally make from a roast, but cooked for much much longer?

I thought bone broth was supposed to have special qualities and/or nutrients and it was to be drunk regularly...?

It is very good for us, but then, so is a soup, or a sauce made from a good, intense stock.

Personally, lamb broth/stock is the only variant I don't care for personally, but that's merely personal preference. My favourite is chicken, but maybe I'm a wuuuus.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I would agree with @DCUKMod about lamb stock being not quite so popular, can be a bit strong.... and I love lamb mutton, esp kidney and liver.

Hotpepper20000

I drink it rarely and if I do it’s beef broth. But my first rule of going keto, was if I don’t like it,I won’t eat it.
I spent too many years eating things I was told where healthy and it did me no favours.

Last edited:
M

Member496333

So is bone broth really just the stock I'd normally make from a roast

No. It's supposed to be made from boiling bones. Personally I buy a concentrate in gloopy liquid form, made from grass-fed beef bones. It's expensive but so is boiling bones for 48 hours :shifty:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No. It's supposed to be made from boiling bones. Personally I buy a concentrate in gloopy liquid form, made from grass-fed beef bones. It's expensive but so is boiling bones for 48 hours :shifty:

Or considerable shorter if using a pressure cooker.

When I make it, I tend to use the electric pressure cooker, and switch it on as I go to bed, then it's done by morning.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use chicken bones and simmer them to death. Nothing gets wasted - I get the liquid/jelly for stock, a soup base, or sometimes just a mug full with a dollop of soured cream or coconut oil, and my two dogs get the mushed up bones and any little scraps of meat added to their dinners, and -big treat - lick the pan & utensils clean for me when we're done. Much to their dismay it takes me a while to get enough bones saved in the freezer to make it worth doing.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
These bones were £1.17 from Morrisons and in the slow cooker for 30 hours...not an expensive experiment. In fact per hour it was very cheap.
My cats like it!

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You just reminded me of my dog - a big black Labrador.
When I was making stock from bits and bones he would come and sit in front of the cooker and inhale deeply - trying to suck the pot off the stove I think.
Dogs should not be given boiled or roasted bones as they can become brittle - one poor dog died after swallowing a sharp spike of bone. Brought to the RSPCA and opened up, but the bowel had been perforated and it was too late. I used to cook some porridge oats in the stock and my dog loved it.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Resurgam: I'm ultra careful regarding the little chicken bones from my stock - they used to get chucked away until I discovered cooking a bit longer made them really soft. Now I can crumble them with my fingers into a mushy powder, and anything I can't break down completely gets discarded so there's absolutely no sharp bits remaining that could harm my furry boys.

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Ideas, amounts and advice please[/QUOTE]

It’s a stew time of the year imho. - i make a decent chicken stew by putting a whole chicken ( the best quality I can get) in a slow cooker. After 5/6 hours removing the bones - which local wildlife take - and adding celery tomatoes onion garlic and spicy sausage and lots of mushrooms . Very little prep time - very little washing up lots of warm lovely grub for cold and damp days

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
These bones were £1.17 from Morrisons and in the slow cooker for 30 hours...not an expensive experiment. In fact per hour it was very cheap.
My cats like it!

I get grass fed beef bones for free at local farmers market . - worth asking if you have one nearby