Annual Diabetes Check

Sqeeaky

Phoned my surgery today to make an appointment for my annual blood test followed by an appointment for my annual check with a Diabetic nurse who would also check my feet.The blood test appointment was made by the receptionist who then gave me an appointment with the Diabetic nurse,this I was informed would be a phone call.I questioned as to how a nurse could check my feet over the phone.The receptionist informed me that’s the way they now carry out Diabetic Annual checks.Anyone else being treated this way?

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Phoned my surgery today to make an appointment for my annual blood test followed by an appointment for my annual check with a Diabetic nurse who would also check my feet.The blood test appointment was made by the receptionist who then gave me an appointment with the Diabetic nurse,this I was informed would be a phone call.I questioned as to how a nurse could check my feet over the phone.The receptionist informed me that’s the way they now carry out Diabetic Annual checks.Anyone else being treated this way?

I think it's pretty much standard practice whilst the pandemic has been ongoing. I haven't seen anyone face to face for well over 18 months never mind a foot check. Can you check them yourself?, I imagine that they will ask you questions about whether you have any sores or non healing cuts or swollen ankles type of thing. I can imagine that if they are barely seeing cancer patients, etc, our feet will be last on the list. IF you think you have a foot problem then I would tell them specifically and they may arrange an appointment but for a standard 12 month foot check, as I say, pretty common to merely discuss it on the phone. (My phone consultation never even mentioned my feet incidentally).

Lilylala

It may be due to where you live ,
I live in Norwich UK and in September I had my annual check up at my local diabetic clinic which is at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital and had at the usual checks
Hba1c
Feet
Urine
Eyes
Consultation with diabetic professor
There was less people there and had a designated areas to sit and a one way system but I feel very fortunate to have such an amazing team there on call if ever needed
And feel very blessed that I did get to see them for my annual check up but as you mentioned not everyone will get their usual checks but if you did have any problems sure you must have a diabetic nurse who you could call ?
And hopefully next year things can be a bit more normal
Stay safe
Keep well

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, mine was a phone call. In practice I think the foot checks are a bit silly for most of us because you can check them yourself. However for many surgeries like mine it's still a cop-out

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The system currently at my surgery is (for type 2s) we have our blood drawn and then await results. We can also drop off a urine sample in a special box. In my case I get the results on-line usually within 24 hours. 48 hours at the most. If we don't have the on-line facility, we can arrange to collect them from reception after 2 weeks. If there is a problem with any of the results, or if any medication needs changing, the nurse will telephone to discuss it. If we want a face to face appointment, or she thinks we need one, she will arrange it. If there is no problem, then that is that until the next time. This is only during the Covid period, it is not the normal practice. .

Smallbrit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep, I've had the same problem with my surgery. My diabetic nurse is calling me next week. Pre-pandemic, the standard was that they'd call me in every year for a HBA1C test and then a week or so later I'd see the diabetic nurse in person to discuss the results and do other things. I'm not on meds, but have had a slowly increasing test results - last year was 55...!

I asked the receptionist if they weren't doing blood tests this year, and she said the diabetic nurse would evaluate if I needed one... I also have no clue how she's supposed to do this over the phone. I'm in Wales, by the way.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep, I've had the same problem with my surgery. My diabetic nurse is calling me next week. Pre-pandemic, the standard was that they'd call me in every year for a HBA1C test and then a week or so later I'd see the diabetic nurse in person to discuss the results and do other things. I'm not on meds, but have had a slowly increasing test results - last year was 55...!

I asked the receptionist if they weren't doing blood tests this year, and she said the diabetic nurse would evaluate if I needed one... I also have no clue how she's supposed to do this over the phone. I'm in Wales, by the way.

I have learnt from recent experience with my surgery that it is necessary to push for what you want. You have the opportunity to do this when your nurse calls you. Make sure you are well prepared for this phone call and try to stand your ground. Good luck!

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Mine was nearly the same as normal this year.
At my doctors its split into two appointments anyways, the first is the blood test, foot checks, blood pressure, weight, and urine check, for me that went ahead as normal except a face mask was obviously required and temperature checks were done before being allowed in.
The second appointment is 1-2 weeks later (ie. so they have the results back) with the diabetic nurse, this year that was by the phone, but that appointments is normally discussing results and planning what to do next so that could be done over the phone, had I needed to actually physically see her about anything I would have been invited in for a face-to-face, so yeah for me it was pretty close to normal

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I split my thumb open and phoned on the panicked advice of my cousin, I was told that the process was:
Phone call with GP
If my thumb fell off (ok paraphrasing for effect but basically if salt water rinses and surgical spirit on gauze did not start the healing process) then I was to call back immediately and arrange to come in for an appointment. But ONLY if was oozing or starting to smell like it was getting badly infected.

So I think some places will see you if/when they have to ... I am actually (well over)due to get my bloods done and that is when my foot thing is normally done, so will report back as I think I will do it after lockdown lifts.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had a phone call yesterday to book my 6 monthly blood test and got an appointment for next Tuesday for bloods.
I'll probably pop in and get a urine sample bottle too next time I'm passing (walk the dog past the surgery almost every day).
Be interesting to see if I get the foot test as well .. last year they did it at the same time as the blood was taken. Will let you know.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Be interesting to see if I get the foot test as well .. last year they did it at the same time as the blood was taken. Will let you know.

Has your GP coded you as in remission? A couple of years ago my nurse didn't do the foot check. She said they don't do it if you are in remission. It doesn't worry me as I can check myself.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has your GP coded you as in remission? A couple of years ago my nurse didn't do the foot check. She said they don't do it if you are in remission. It doesn't worry me as I can check myself.
I was coded as in remission about a year ago.. but last review she tickled my tootsies for the first time ever!
I think my lot don't have much of a clue.

Route 66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Lucky one here - Well organised annual check by diabetic nurse at GP Clinic in July.

Blood - Hba1c - Urine - Weight - Feet.

Only one person allowed in surgery at a time.

Still waiting for annual eye check at the local clinic (Only five months overdue) which is understandable though.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
New When I split my thumb open and phoned on the panicked advice of my cousin, I was told that the process was:
Phone call with GP
If my thumb fell off (ok paraphrasing for effect but basically if salt water rinses and surgical spirit on gauze did not start the healing process) then I was to call back immediately and arrange to come in for an appointment. But ONLY if was oozing or starting to smell like it was getting badly infected
Luckily we have a minor injuries unit nearby for things like this, but the answer from our GP surgery would have been the same. They like to keep the minor units unpublicised for some reason. Check out the NHS main web page for what services are available near you. You might just be surprised

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Luckily we have a minor injuries unit nearby for things like this, but the answer from our GP surgery would have been the same. They like to keep the minor units unpublicised for some reason. Check out the NHS main web page for what services are available near you. You might just be surprised

We are also lucky to have a treatment room within our surgery that caters for minor injuries. It even has a small theatre staffed by the GP's and nurses. I have no idea what their current arrangements are, but no doubt they will be stringent.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had all my usual tests which have worked their way to being more or less annual now: blood & urine samples, weighing (and measuring), and foot poking all one appointment, separate foot/leg (doppler) check at another, and a phone consultation for the review. All a bit later than normal, and finally this month instead of Jan-Feb, my eye screening. So I feel they've done as well as possible under the circumstances.

ETA: And a slight bonus - GP had declared they weren't doing a cholesterol check now, but when nurse saw the form she tutted and added it back on again! :)

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
ETA: And a slight bonus - GP had declared they weren't doing a cholesterol check now, but when nurse saw the form she tutted and added it back on again!

I had my blood draw 2 weeks ago. My results appeared on-line 24 hours later - no cholesterol or lipids for the first time since diagnosis almost 7 years ago. After waiting a week to make sure, I emailed the surgery and had a reply within minutes. This was the reply from the Practice Manager:

We don't include lipids and cholesterol requests for the blood tests for patients with diabetes in remission, only if you were on a statin to control your cholesterol levels.
I hope this clarifies things.

I replied that I am only in remission according to their interpretation, that my HbA1c's between 40 and 44 put me in the pre-diabetic stage, and that back in 2014 I was prescribed statins, which I took for a couple of months then stopped, despite protestations from my GP, and that all this will be in my records. He replied saying I could have the cholesterol/lipids test and should telephone for an appointment. I wonder if this is now a new guideline? If it is, people would have to regain full diabetes or go back on statins or develop some other illness before they could ever have another cholesterol test. I pushed, and won. I will keep on doing this if it happens again.

Ajax

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Part 'one' of my Diabetic Review took place, not at the usual health centre ..blood collected in ✻gold top✻ tube, and ✻purple top✻ tube ..about a month later ..part 'two' was conducted via a telephone appointment ..a few days later I received a letter about a Diabetic eye exam ..all this is OK with me.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Whenever I finally manage to get my GP surgery to answer the phone all of the diabetic appointments have gone and I’m told to ring back in a couple of weeks - which I do but seem to miss the boat again; bit like Groundhog Day really!!

MarkHaZ123

Definitely not. How can they ever check your feet or eyes over the phone
Iv got my annual appointment for eyes and feet in just over a week.
I love how they always fob you off. They have done it with me all throughout this year with a problem I have with my sinuses until I demanded action