Pork scratchings UK

notepadplusplus

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I quite like a bag of Mr Porky's pork scratchings now and again as a snack (or even as a meal on its own if I'm on the move), but it is quite expensive.

I've noticed that there are these companies on eBay selling bulk bags of pork scratching for a reasonable price. Has anyone had experience with black country snacks and their offerings? Am tempted to place an order.

Reactions: Swiggy

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I quite like a bag of Mr Porky's pork scratchings now and again as a snack (or even as a meal on its own if I'm on the move), but it is quite expensive.

I've noticed that there are these companies on eBay selling bulk bags of pork scratching for a reasonable price. Has anyone had experience with black country snacks and their offerings? Am tempted to place an order.

Hi,

I can snack MP's mid morn at work.. Don't (not a wake & eater so actually just can't.) do breakfast to tide over till lunch.
Some brands are just like a "corn snack" pork flavoured? ( I go for the real deal')

I'm sure i've picked these Black country brand up from a "hanger" on the snack shelf at my local? (after googling the brand.)
I seem to remember a clear pack with white printed graphics?
I absolutely love "crackling" home cooked can be hit & miss.. From memory it reminded me of this??

But we all have our acquired taste.

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I like a bag of Mr Porky’s crispy strips, the lighter, puffier ones that don’t break your teeth. I have tried Black Country snacks on the recommendation of someone here - I’m sorry, I can’t remember who - but they were not to my taste.

But we are all different, so give them a go, they seem to be a reputable company. They do a mixed variety pack of 10 bags for about £11 which is a good introduction to their range. Because they have about a million options, which seem to be mostly rebranding of a few core products for different markets. They are wholesale manufacturers and suppliers to the pub trade so posher bags for gastropubs, seems to be same group of products!

They do hard cracklings and lighter puffy types, you get both in the pack, and some plain and some flavoured.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Yes they're great value and the unseasoned ones are allegedly cooked in lard (according to the vendor) so no nasty seed oils either.

Edit to add link

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1kg-UNSE...152256?hash=item3b1bd71a40:g:uzMAAOSwPsBeNAWK

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes they're great value and the unseasoned ones are allegedly cooked in lard (according to the vendor) so no nasty seed oils either.

Edit to add link

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1kg-UNSE...152256?hash=item3b1bd71a40:g:uzMAAOSwPsBeNAWK

How do you find those keep once opened? Even I couldn't eat a whole kilo in one sitting.

Our local butcher does some wonderful in-house scratchings - very moreish!

Just edited to add, for anyone gluten-free, be a little careful as not all Black Country Snacks are as clean as these. Some variants have wheat flour. Whilst gluten-free in itself, I also avoid soya (thyroid nonsense going on), so I watch for that too.

Life could be so much worse. :)

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Black country are good old fashioned real pork scratchings. You keep them fresh by breaking down the 1 Kilo into sealable containers, ziplock bags or small plastic boxes. Bags are good as you the can expel air. The scratchings last well.

zeeeee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I buy these every 4-6 weeks, I split them into ziplock bags and a kilner jar and try to ration them out.

Pretty good customer service, I got sent an awful batch which had at least 300g of seasoning and were rock hard possibly overcooked and they accepted a return with no questions asked.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks folks. This house is Kilner Central. :)

Now just the portion control to master............

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You're all leading me astray! I've just ordered some - let's see how long they last (uneaten)

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I buy the Black Country ones on ebay in bulk then pop them in a Kilner jar. The last bag I got had bits so big in I had to break them down to eat :). They are great though and just about hard enough for my taste.

I remember the ones in the 70's that were flat and like squares of iron.... so good.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You're all leading me astray! I've just ordered some - let's see how long they last (uneaten)
The answer a week! really tasty and very moreish, but with my lack of self control I won't be ordering any more for a while :)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I buy the Black Country ones on ebay in bulk then pop them in a Kilner jar. The last bag I got had bits so big in I had to break them down to eat :). They are great though and just about hard enough for my taste.

I remember the ones in the 70's that were flat and like squares of iron.... so good.
I got some too - they whiff like an old fashioned butchers shop with sawdust on the floor, but they should see me through to the new year.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Whilst visiting our local butcher this morning for our local haul, they had a huge, and I mean HUGE bag of pork scratchings sat on the side.

They are sold in sandwich bags, "sealed" with tape.

I have no idea if they are made by the butcher, or bought in, but they are delicious.

Today, my resolve was good. I could easily have fallen head fist into that bag, and not emerged for a looooong time. Today has been a hungry day, but I was also heading home for lunch.

[ sigh ]

StewartH

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I am very lucky to live near a brazilian butchers shop which makes and sells delicious pork scratchings. One of my staples. There are five of these shops in the South East so maybe you are close to one. https://www.braziliancentre.co.uk/

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've had my 2nd 1kg bag delivered this morning ...... Will it make it to the New Year?:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am very lucky to live near a brazilian butchers shop which makes and sells delicious pork scratchings. One of my staples. There are five of these shops in the South East so maybe you are close to one. https://www.braziliancentre.co.uk/
Never heard of these guys before but must have driven past the Brighton and Hove branch more than once.. next time we'll stop off.. ta!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Thanks for that. A couple of those are within striking distance for me. I’ll be checking them out for sure.

mymuk

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There's an excellent thread somewhere in the forum about making your own, which is very easy! Plus you can do unusual flavours too (I did some excellent garlic and cumin ones).

zeeeee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There's an excellent thread somewhere in the forum about making your own, which is very easy! Plus you can do unusual flavours too (I did some excellent garlic and cumin ones).

could they be made in an air fryer?

Be nice to be able to make them yourself to help with portion control and experiment with some different flavours, ideally cholula.