1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Pork scratchings UK

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by notepadplusplus, Dec 4, 2020.

1. notepadplusplus

notepadplusplus Other · Well-Known Member

Hi,

I quite like a bag of Mr Porky's pork scratchings now and again as a snack (or even as a meal on its own if I'm on the move), but it is quite expensive.

I've noticed that there are these companies on eBay selling bulk bags of pork scratching for a reasonable price. Has anyone had experience with black country snacks and their offerings? Am tempted to place an order.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi,

I can snack MP's mid morn at work.. Don't (not a wake & eater so actually just can't.) do breakfast to tide over till lunch.
    Some brands are just like a "corn snack" pork flavoured? ( I go for the real deal')

I'm sure i've picked these Black country brand up from a "hanger" on the snack shelf at my local? (after googling the brand.)
    I seem to remember a clear pack with white printed graphics?
    I absolutely love "crackling" home cooked can be hit & miss.. From memory it reminded me of this??

But we all have our acquired taste.

• Like Like x 2
  3. TeddyTottie

TeddyTottie Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I like a bag of Mr Porky’s crispy strips, the lighter, puffier ones that don’t break your teeth. I have tried Black Country snacks on the recommendation of someone here - I’m sorry, I can’t remember who - but they were not to my taste.

But we are all different, so give them a go, they seem to be a reputable company. They do a mixed variety pack of 10 bags for about £11 which is a good introduction to their range. Because they have about a million options, which seem to be mostly rebranding of a few core products for different markets. They are wholesale manufacturers and suppliers to the pub trade so posher bags for gastropubs, seems to be same group of products!

They do hard cracklings and lighter puffy types, you get both in the pack, and some plain and some flavoured.

• Like Like x 1
  4. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Yes they're great value and the unseasoned ones are allegedly cooked in lard (according to the vendor) so no nasty seed oils either.

Edit to add link

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1kg-UNSE...152256?hash=item3b1bd71a40:g:uzMAAOSwPsBeNAWK

• Like Like x 2
  5. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

How do you find those keep once opened? Even I couldn't eat a whole kilo in one sitting.

Our local butcher does some wonderful in-house scratchings - very moreish!

Just edited to add, for anyone gluten-free, be a little careful as not all Black Country Snacks are as clean as these. Some variants have wheat flour. Whilst gluten-free in itself, I also avoid soya (thyroid nonsense going on), so I watch for that too.

Life could be so much worse. :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bittern

Bittern Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Black country are good old fashioned real pork scratchings. You keep them fresh by breaking down the 1 Kilo into sealable containers, ziplock bags or small plastic boxes. Bags are good as you the can expel air. The scratchings last well.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. bulkbiker

I keep them in a large jar with a screw top with extra cling film added to keep out the air.
    Last a couple of weeks fine.

• Like Like x 1
  8. zeeeee

zeeeee Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I buy these every 4-6 weeks, I split them into ziplock bags and a kilner jar and try to ration them out.

Pretty good customer service, I got sent an awful batch which had at least 300g of seasoning and were rock hard possibly overcooked and they accepted a return with no questions asked.

• Like Like x 1
  9. DCUKMod

Thanks folks. This house is Kilner Central. :)

Now just the portion control to master............

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. lessci

lessci Type 2 · Well-Known Member

You're all leading me astray! I've just ordered some - let's see how long they last (uneaten)

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. seanj67

seanj67 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I buy the Black Country ones on ebay in bulk then pop them in a Kilner jar. The last bag I got had bits so big in I had to break them down to eat :). They are great though and just about hard enough for my taste.

I remember the ones in the 70's that were flat and like squares of iron.... so good.

12. lessci

The answer a week! really tasty and very moreish, but with my lack of self control I won't be ordering any more for a while :)

13. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

I got some too - they whiff like an old fashioned butchers shop with sawdust on the floor, but they should see me through to the new year.

14. DCUKMod

Whilst visiting our local butcher this morning for our local haul, they had a huge, and I mean HUGE bag of pork scratchings sat on the side.

They are sold in sandwich bags, "sealed" with tape.

I have no idea if they are made by the butcher, or bought in, but they are delicious.

Today, my resolve was good. I could easily have fallen head fist into that bag, and not emerged for a looooong time. Today has been a hungry day, but I was also heading home for lunch.

[ sigh ]

15. StewartH

StewartH Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I am very lucky to live near a brazilian butchers shop which makes and sells delicious pork scratchings. One of my staples. There are five of these shops in the South East so maybe you are close to one. https://www.braziliancentre.co.uk/

16. lessci

I've had my 2nd 1kg bag delivered this morning ...... Will it make it to the New Year?:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

17. bulkbiker

Never heard of these guys before but must have driven past the Brighton and Hove branch more than once.. next time we'll stop off.. ta!

18. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks for that. A couple of those are within striking distance for me. I’ll be checking them out for sure.

19. mymuk

mymuk Type 2 · Well-Known Member

There's an excellent thread somewhere in the forum about making your own, which is very easy! Plus you can do unusual flavours too (I did some excellent garlic and cumin ones).

20. zeeeee

zeeeee Type 2 · Well-Known Member

could they be made in an air fryer?

Be nice to be able to make them yourself to help with portion control and experiment with some different flavours, ideally cholula.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook