Confused - is this diabetes ?

Tedakos

Hello All,
I found your forum across searching of the internet.
Im 33yo male with spleenectomy after bike accident 3years ago.
In general last year i was very active (running, biking) maintaining my weight about 82kg with 180 height.
Last 3 months i stopped any activity due to injury, i started to eat A LOT since i stopped smoking almost 2 years ago and any alcohol 1 year ago.
A lot of sweets and junk food with office work (at home) i gained 8 kilos and went 90.
10 days ago i said stop its enough you need to start again, I went for some jogging and i decided to measure glucose with one tester from my wife pregnancy.
Glucose after meal is always 100-120 100-125
My question is regarding morning glucose level, when im measuring after sleep without eating anything is 102-111
I started a diet, I quit sugars etc and the levels are same 102-111 after one week of diet.
In the covid situation i cant go to doc or for any exams due to spleenectomy.
Can you please advise ? i do not have any other symptoms. i dont have diagnosed diabetes.

Kind regards,
Stay safe and healthy

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello All,
I found your forum across searching of the internet.
Im 33yo male with spleenectomy after bike accident 3years ago.
In general last year i was very active (running, biking) maintaining my weight about 82kg with 180 height.
Last 3 months i stopped any activity due to injury, i started to eat A LOT since i stopped smoking almost 2 years ago and any alcohol 1 year ago.
A lot of sweets and junk food with office work (at home) i gained 8 kilos and went 90.
10 days ago i said stop its enough you need to start again, I went for some jogging and i decided to measure glucose with one tester from my wife pregnancy.
Glucose after meal is always 100-120 100-125
My question is regarding morning glucose level, when im measuring after sleep without eating anything is 102-111
I started a diet, I quit sugars etc and the levels are same 102-111 after one week of diet.
In the covid situation i cant go to doc or for any exams due to spleenectomy.
Can you please advise ? i do not have any other symptoms. i dont have diagnosed diabetes.

Kind regards,
Stay safe and healthy

If you have health concerns, whilst you feel unable to visit your doctor, they should still be available to talk to by telephone. Your numbers are not alarmingly high, and may also be impacted by exercising, but your doctor is the one to help you, even if you cannot meet face to face.

On a side note, please check the test strips you are using are still in date. Out of date strips can return erratic or erroneous results.

Reactions: Tedakos

Tedakos

If you have health concerns, whilst you feel unable to visit your doctor, they should still be available to talk to by telephone. Your numbers are not alarmingly high, and may also be impacted by exercising, but your doctor is the one to help you, even if you cannot meet face to face.

On a side note, please check the test strips you are using are still in date. Out of date strips can return erratic or erroneous results.

Thank you for your reply.
I talked to the doc but he told me that he cant advise via phone (Im living in Greece)
I got very nervous about it and a lot of anxiety when im measuring the glucose at the morning.
After my spleenectomy I become hipochondriac
How much I need to wait to see improvement after the diet implementation ?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for your reply.
I talked to the doc but he told me that he cant advise via phone (Im living in Greece)
I got very nervous about it and a lot of anxiety when im measuring the glucose at the morning.
After my spleenectomy I become hipochondriac
How much I need to wait to see improvement after the diet implementation ?

That's really an impossible question to answer, as we're all different, and only, thankfully, a very few have had to go through a splenectomy.

Keep monitoring and if your numbers rise, then do talk to your Doctor again. If he needs to see you face to face, then perhaps you could arrange to be the first patient of the day, so that the chances are the offices would be freshly cleaned and you would encounter fewer other patients than you might later in the day.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I'm assuming your readings are in USA mg/DL rather than mmol? If so they are very good and perfectly normal. If they are in mmol then they are high and need attention. It could well be diabetes or possibly something else. In the mean time keep all carbs way down.

Tedakos

Hello both,
Splenectomy was caused by bike accident nothing health relevant.
Measurements are in mg/dl not in mmol.
My morning measure is 102-111can be 104 or 109 but as i said i got very anxious prior and i feel my adrenaline rush.
Here in Greece values for morning blood are 100max that's why I got concerned since I do not have diagnosed diabetes
I do not have symptoms of diabetes like thirst etc. two weeks ago i went to ophthalmologist and she find hypermetropia
Im 180cm and currently 85kg

Last edited:

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Reactions: LaoDan and Tedakos

Tedakos

Good morning and thank you for your answer.
Already working on it, I started a diet, reduced the amount of food and carbs.
Daily walks ~1h and running 5times per week avg 6-7km per run.
I increased vegetables and salads (which was zero in my diet before) and some fruits as well.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning and thank you for your answer.
Already working on it, I started a diet, reduced the amount of food and carbs.
Daily walks ~1h and running 5times per week avg 6-7km per run.
I increased vegetables and salads (which was zero in my diet before) and some fruits as well.
The morning blood reading (fasting FBG) is usually the very last one to respond to a diet change due to something called Dawn Phenomenon or Liver Dump. This is where the liver uses its stored glucose to bolster the readings up to the level it used to be at (acts like a flywheel) It will continue to do this until it either runs low on stored glucose or your body adapts to the lower intake of carbs. Any carbs you eat now will top up the liver stores and prolong the process, Normally expect to need a week or two for it to start settling down,

As others have said, your levels do not seem to be excessively high so you can relax a bit. If they continue to rise then seek the doctor out again.

Tedakos

Good morning All,
Yesterday my FBG measure was 93 in the morning about 20minutes after wake up.
While i was happy that something starting to be fixed today FBG was 102 while the diet remain the same.
Is this normal ?
After meal Im usual ~ 125 - 115 always two hours after the meal

Kind regards

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning All,
Yesterday my FBG measure was 93 in the morning about 20minutes after wake up.
While i was happy that something starting to be fixed today FBG was 102 while the diet remain the same.
Is this normal ?
After meal Im usual ~ 125 - 115 always two hours after the meal

Kind regards
The FDA and the UK require home use meters to have an accuracy of +/- 15% for 95% of all readings. So if, say, the true reading should be 100 mg/dl then any meter could tell you it is somewhere between 85 and 115 and still be considered within specification. This is true for the same meter reading the same blood drop. If comparing two meters on the same drop the difference could be +/-30 counts and both meters could still be working properly, Even so, the accuracy required opens up even further and for 99% of readings they have to meet +/- 20% under all conditions (again per meter) To make matters worse the test solution supplied to verify the meters are working have 'true titrated value' that starts at 20% from what it says on the bottle. (giving a 40% target range) so cannot be used to verify the accuracy, only gross faults,

So your reported readings above could be just natural variations within the normal error range for your meter,

Tedakos

Good morning everyone.
I dropped my weight to 81.5kg and I do continue to eating low carbs and doing almost everyday 1h cycling.
17/12 92 fasting glucose - 94 after meal
18/12 84 fasting glucose - 96 after meal (without breakfast and after training)
19/12 76 fasting glucose - 106 after meal
20/12 93 fasting after almost 14hours fasting - 111 after meal
21/12 97 fasting glucose - after slice of bread with 2% cheese 88
After training my glucose is around 96-98

What do you think ?

Last edited:

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Those 2 hour postpriandials look perfect to me.
As mentioned above the last figure to come down is your FBG.
Mine was 7.5(135) at diagnosis, now it's 4.1(74) but that's taken a year of work & a 5st weight loss.
You're doing a great job at heading this off at the pass.

Tedakos

Thank you for your response! I thought that postpriandials are too low and I was concerned.

I would like another question.
After reading the forum I ran about the info that FBG should be measured immediately after getting up.
I always do the test 20-30 minutes after getting up going to toilet and the shower.

Reference link https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...ood-glucose-with-some-chat.22272/#post-201295

Another question, when the numbers will get stabilized could I start eating more or some sugars or should I stay like now ?

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
After reading the forum I ran about the info that FBG should be measured immediately after getting up.
I always do the test 20-30 minutes after getting up going to toilet and the shower.

The diagnostic criteria for FBG are based on lab draws in a doctors surgery so I would imagine it's probably a couple of hours after waking.
Unless you live above the surgery you're not going to be running down the stairs in your pyjamas.

I had one of my FBG actually rise comapred to previous as I took the dog for a quick walk before attending that morning.
Excercise encourages the body to release glucose into the bloodstream, that was a mistake on my part.

Another question, when the numbers will get stabilized could I start eating more or some sugars or should I stay like now

Your meter will tell you what you can tolerate, eat to your meter is a good mantra.
Some of us can handle far greater carbs than others.

Tedakos

Today in my meal i had brown rice with carrots and vegs boiled.
1 hour after eating glucose was 145 and two hours 91 is this normal ?

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today in my meal i had brown rice with carrots and vegs boiled.
1 hour after eating glucose was 145 and two hours 91 is this normal ?
Perfectly normal, some additional protein or fat would have softened that 1 hour reading but absolutely nothing to worry about.
Rice is on the naughty list for most diabetics.

Reactions: oldgreymare

Tedakos

Hi guys, sorry for bothering you (again) I would like to ask quick question

Today I eat brown past with tomato sauce, at 1 hour glucose was 128 and at 2 hours after meal it was 137 is this normal ?
why this is happening ?
Amount was 170grams of pasta with sauce
After 10 minutes it dropped to 125
P.s Fasting blood glucose today 85 :)

SMS1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
maybe don't have brown rice or pasta? If this is concerning you, keep it low carbohydrate even if it's wholewheat.

Tedakos

Good morning and merry Christmas to everyone.
I would like to ask a question. Yesterday I eat at 21:00 and went to sleep about 01:00
I woke up at 07:40 I measured and my blood sugar was 84
Went to sleep again and about 11:00 so 14 hours fasting blood sugar was 93
I am not diagnosed as diabetic.
Is this normal?
Thank you