Covid vaccine and T1D, what are your views?

Andy_Totnes_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My diabetes was caused by being vaccinated against getting smallpox back in 1966. Should I worry about the covid vaccination?

Chloelox

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m not an anti-Vaxxer.
I was suspected to have the virus back in Early July.

will I get the vaccine? I’m not sure. It won’t be life changing for me in most ways as my daughter has severe respiratory illness as part of her genetic condition. I shield with her and only leave the house for appointments. So would the vaccine be wasted on me? When I barely leave the house.. I would rather give my vaccine to my partner who goes out to buy shopping, collect prescriptions, works with the public and leaves the house for exercise. I feel like it would be wasted on me at the moment but beneficial for him, I understand there is a system of people who are ‘higher priority’ but I think the vaccine would be better use to him than me. Because my life wouldn’t change from isolating even if I had it, my daughter would still be at severe risk.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My diabetes was caused by being vaccinated against getting smallpox back in 1966. Should I worry about the covid vaccination?

Andy - If you have concerns about past vaccinations and the prospect of this new one, that is a discussion you really need to have with your GP.

None of us here can give you that steer.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’m not an anti-Vaxxer.
I was suspected to have the virus back in Early July.

will I get the vaccine? I’m not sure. It won’t be life changing for me in most ways as my daughter has severe respiratory illness as part of her genetic condition. I shield with her and only leave the house for appointments. So would the vaccine be wasted on me? When I barely leave the house.. I would rather give my vaccine to my partner who goes out to buy shopping, collect prescriptions, works with the public and leaves the house for exercise. I feel like it would be wasted on me at the moment but beneficial for him, I understand there is a system of people who are ‘higher priority’ but I think the vaccine would be better use to him than me. Because my life wouldn’t change from isolating even if I had it, my daughter would still be at severe risk.
As you say you are at little risk yourself and your daughter isn't allowed it nor do you know if having it will prevent you transmitting it but unless your partner is much older or has a health condition he won't get it before you and you can't give up your vaccine to him so I guess I'd be asking questions about whichever vaccine is offered to you re transmission in particular. The advantage of being no.6 in the queue is that a bit more information from the trials might have come to light by then particularly re the Pzizer one. Either way I hope your daughter has a good Winter with her illness.

j_c_boing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'i consider myself a fit, healthy and well controlled T1. I'll be getting the vaccine and sprint to the doctor's to get it.

In any event anyone who wants to travel abroad won't have a choice. If you want to board a plane or disembark in another country you'll have to be vaccinated. Like it or not, that's where we are heading. The UK Gov may give you a choice, airlines etc and other countries won't.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'i consider myself a fit, healthy and well controlled T1. I'll be getting the vaccine and sprint to the doctor's to get it.

In any event anyone who wants to travel abroad won't have a choice. If you want to board a plane or disembark in another country you'll have to be vaccinated. Like it or not, that's where we are heading. The UK Gov may give you a choice, airlines etc and other countries won't.
You're right and no doubt the government will allow this as a route to making vaccination mandatory by the back door regardless of whether it is effective or necessary. We have to keep big pharma's business model rolling on by making everyone get 'protected' from this annually. To be consistent they should really insist on a flu vaccine too. Staycations look appealing but my husband is a business traveller so he'll be sprinting as fast as a tubby 50 year old can too!

Reactions: oldgreymare

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You're right and no doubt the government will allow this as a route to making vaccination mandatory by the back door regardless of whether it is effective or necessary. We have to keep big pharma's business model rolling on by making everyone get 'protected' from this annually. To be consistent they should really insist on a flu vaccine too. Staycations look appealing but my husband is a business traveller so he'll be sprinting as fast as a tubby 50 year old can too!
I’m just trying to picture your tubby hubby:happy:

Jasper27

As per title, will you be taking? How do you feel about it etc.
Ive been Type 1 since 1990...now getting side effects of many years of erratic sugars despite best efforts and also now suffer with other health problems and can no longer work at 56 years of age but I will be first in queue for my jab as do not want to get the virus as have more fear of getting it than any side effects from a vaccine

Nike 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m taking the vaccine as soon as I’m called. Some protection is better than no protection

Reactions: ArsenalCath

ArsenalCath

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The rain and constant testing and insulin injections
I will get it as soon as I possibly can. I’ve not been in close contact with my family for almost a year. I can’t stand much more. I get the flu jab every year so why not.

LadyDU

One of the theories about how diabetes type 1 develops, is that your own immune system attacks your insulin producing cells. This could particularly happen after your immune system is triggered by a flu or by another disease.

I have no medical background, but I did some research on how RNA vaccins work. As far as I understand, a RNA vaccin makes some of your own cells look like the Corona virus, which triggers your immune system to destroy those cells. Afterwards your immune system should be able to tackle also real Corona virus parts, in case of an actual infection.

I don’t like the part that the Immune system is triggered by the RNA vaccin to destroy some of your own cells, after my immune system already decided to destroy my insulin cells. Could the vaccin not trigger the immune system of T1s to destroy more cells than we want?

btw I‘m not with those crazy anti vaxers, but I’m just a bit worried as this seems to be the first rna based vaccin and I wonder if the long term effects and effects on t1s (and possibly people with other immune diseases) are known well enough.

This is the first ever post on this site for me!! I felt I had to respond to the comment made by Hill28. This is my exact fear re the vaccine and I couldn’t have put it better myself!! Well done for explaining it so well. I can’t imagine why so many T1’s are willing to gamble their immune system’s response to the jab! I intend to wait as long as possible and see what happens in the coming months. Thank you for making me realise that I’m not the only one with this HUGE reservation!

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This is the first ever post on this site for me!! I felt I had to respond to the comment made by Hill28. This is my exact fear re the vaccine and I couldn’t have put it better myself!! Well done for explaining it so well. I can’t imagine why so many T1’s are willing to gamble their immune system’s response to the jab! I intend to wait as long as possible and see what happens in the coming months. Thank you for making me realise that I’m not the only one with this HUGE reservation!
I am not a particular fan of this vaccines either but surely our immune systems have already done their worst in the case of a type 1 diabetic? If we could work out what originally triggered the autoimmune response that would be super useful of course e.g. illness? gluten? Any vaccine has to trigger an immune response whether it is this new RNA technique or the weaker live vaccine to be used in the Oxford version.

Reactions: oldgreymare

Janet_rabbit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
intolerance, hatred, fighting
Type 1 since 1976, possibly triggered by a flu epidemic. I am a 53 year old primary teacher with other auto-immune conditions as well as type 1 and quite far down the list of people entitled to the vaccine as far as I can tell. I am very grateful that people are working so hard on making vaccines available and hope they are all fine, but I am a bit anxious about the new RNA type of vaccine and especially whether or not it is more or less likely to cause further auto-immune responses than more traditional vaccines. I don't know if there is data available about any trials of any of the vaccines which were carried out on people with existing auto-immune conditions, or how long it takes auto-immune responses to kick in after a vaccine or illness. Any enlightenment gratefully received!

Reactions: BringBackTheMcRib

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Type 1 since 1976, possibly triggered by a flu epidemic. I am a 53 year old primary teacher with other auto-immune conditions as well as type 1 and quite far down the list of people entitled to the vaccine as far as I can tell. I am very grateful that people are working so hard on making vaccines available and hope they are all fine, but I am a bit anxious about the new RNA type of vaccine and especially whether or not it is more or less likely to cause further auto-immune responses than more traditional vaccines. I don't know if there is data available about any trials of any of the vaccines which were carried out on people with existing auto-immune conditions, or how long it takes auto-immune responses to kick in after a vaccine or illness. Any enlightenment gratefully received!
https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4347/rr-6
Well someone in the BMJ asked the same question with some further references. You will be no 6 on the vaccine priority list and that may well be the AZ/Oxford version.