1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Covid vaccine and T1D, what are your views?

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by O_DP_T1, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Andy_Totnes_

Andy_Totnes_ Type 1 · Member

My diabetes was caused by being vaccinated against getting smallpox back in 1966. Should I worry about the covid vaccination?

2. Chloelox

Chloelox Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I’m not an anti-Vaxxer.
    I was suspected to have the virus back in Early July.

will I get the vaccine? I’m not sure. It won’t be life changing for me in most ways as my daughter has severe respiratory illness as part of her genetic condition. I shield with her and only leave the house for appointments. So would the vaccine be wasted on me? When I barely leave the house.. I would rather give my vaccine to my partner who goes out to buy shopping, collect prescriptions, works with the public and leaves the house for exercise. I feel like it would be wasted on me at the moment but beneficial for him, I understand there is a system of people who are ‘higher priority’ but I think the vaccine would be better use to him than me. Because my life wouldn’t change from isolating even if I had it, my daughter would still be at severe risk.

• Hug Hug x 3
  3. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

Andy - If you have concerns about past vaccinations and the prospect of this new one, that is a discussion you really need to have with your GP.

None of us here can give you that steer.

• Like Like x 2
  4. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

As you say you are at little risk yourself and your daughter isn't allowed it nor do you know if having it will prevent you transmitting it but unless your partner is much older or has a health condition he won't get it before you and you can't give up your vaccine to him so I guess I'd be asking questions about whichever vaccine is offered to you re transmission in particular. The advantage of being no.6 in the queue is that a bit more information from the trials might have come to light by then particularly re the Pzizer one. Either way I hope your daughter has a good Winter with her illness.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  5. ert

ert Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'm on the Novavax Covid vaccine trial, so I'm so keen for the vaccine, I couldn't wait.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. pm133

pm133 · Member

Quite happy to sit back for a few months and let others be guinea pigs. Don't feel any need to rush into it and others are in more need anyway.

• Like Like x 2
  7. jane1950

jane1950 · Well-Known Member

I am having the vaccine

• Like Like x 2
  8. j_c_boing

j_c_boing Type 1 · Member

I'i consider myself a fit, healthy and well controlled T1. I'll be getting the vaccine and sprint to the doctor's to get it.

In any event anyone who wants to travel abroad won't have a choice. If you want to board a plane or disembark in another country you'll have to be vaccinated. Like it or not, that's where we are heading. The UK Gov may give you a choice, airlines etc and other countries won't.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. NicoleC1971

You're right and no doubt the government will allow this as a route to making vaccination mandatory by the back door regardless of whether it is effective or necessary. We have to keep big pharma's business model rolling on by making everyone get 'protected' from this annually. To be consistent they should really insist on a flu vaccine too. Staycations look appealing but my husband is a business traveller so he'll be sprinting as fast as a tubby 50 year old can too!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Glucobabu

Glucobabu Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I’m just trying to picture your tubby hubby:happy:

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Jasper27

Jasper27 · Newbie

Ive been Type 1 since 1990...now getting side effects of many years of erratic sugars despite best efforts and also now suffer with other health problems and can no longer work at 56 years of age but I will be first in queue for my jab as do not want to get the virus as have more fear of getting it than any side effects from a vaccine

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Nike 2

Nike 2 Type 2 · Newbie

I’m taking the vaccine as soon as I’m called. Some protection is better than no protection

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. ArsenalCath

ArsenalCath Type 1 · Member

I will get it as soon as I possibly can. I’ve not been in close contact with my family for almost a year. I can’t stand much more. I get the flu jab every year so why not.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  14. marionlonsdale

marionlonsdale Type 1 · Newbie

My diagnosis of Type 1 diabetes was as a result of an extremely bad virus that killed off the insulin producing cells. Approximately 10 years prior to that event I developed hypothyroidism as a result of another bad virus. Do you think I’m going to take my chances without having the jab?!? Can’t wait for the vaccine!!

• Like Like x 4
  15. bilb_baggins

bilb_baggins Type 1 · Member

I will have the jab bit apprehensive but will have it i don't want to get covid as i'm 69 and Type 1

• Like Like x 1
  16. LadyDU

LadyDU · Newbie

This is the first ever post on this site for me!! I felt I had to respond to the comment made by Hill28. This is my exact fear re the vaccine and I couldn’t have put it better myself!! Well done for explaining it so well. I can’t imagine why so many T1’s are willing to gamble their immune system’s response to the jab! I intend to wait as long as possible and see what happens in the coming months. Thank you for making me realise that I’m not the only one with this HUGE reservation!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. NicoleC1971

I am not a particular fan of this vaccines either but surely our immune systems have already done their worst in the case of a type 1 diabetic? If we could work out what originally triggered the autoimmune response that would be super useful of course e.g. illness? gluten? Any vaccine has to trigger an immune response whether it is this new RNA technique or the weaker live vaccine to be used in the Oxford version.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Janet_rabbit

Janet_rabbit Type 1 · Active Member

Type 1 since 1976, possibly triggered by a flu epidemic. I am a 53 year old primary teacher with other auto-immune conditions as well as type 1 and quite far down the list of people entitled to the vaccine as far as I can tell. I am very grateful that people are working so hard on making vaccines available and hope they are all fine, but I am a bit anxious about the new RNA type of vaccine and especially whether or not it is more or less likely to cause further auto-immune responses than more traditional vaccines. I don't know if there is data available about any trials of any of the vaccines which were carried out on people with existing auto-immune conditions, or how long it takes auto-immune responses to kick in after a vaccine or illness. Any enlightenment gratefully received!

• Like Like x 1
  19. NicoleC1971

https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4347/rr-6
    Well someone in the BMJ asked the same question with some further references. You will be no 6 on the vaccine priority list and that may well be the AZ/Oxford version.

20. Parisemo

Parisemo Type 1 · Active Member

It is not going to kill you so why not. Better to be safe than sorry.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook