Diet only
Reactions: KK123 and Jbicheno

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was wondering who had been "gleeful", I gave up on Today as they never ask the questions I would like asked and they give the government such an easy ride, the editor is a true blue apparatchik. Can't say I notice the BBC taking sides, they bend over stupid sometimes trying not.... climate change being the main one..... way more than a passing virus.
There was a piece on the Today programme that I complained about. It was supposed to be news but didn't seem to have had any deeper research behind why Stockholm ICU is jam packed and inferring it is because of Sweden's non lockdown policy. I agree that the Beeb tries to be impartial but mainly by stringently having a spokesperson from each side rather than by employing people with a diversity of opinion on identity politics, green politics, Brexit and therefore some diversity in its editorial tone .
With Covid I notice that anytime a negative consequence of the government's policy is reported upon, the presenter will automatically say that x,y z was caused by the Virus when it is in fact caused by a deliberate policy choice of the government but the Bbc isn't challenging the narrative so I've gone from a loyal listener to someone who shouts at it when on my own!

Reactions: JRT

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Independent schools can decide if they want to teach online only or remain open.
That's interesting. I also suspect parents don't want their kids unable to fly too given all the overseas students that there are at Eton.
Although it is only the last few days I am glad that state schools are open and will remain open in January and February though I know how difficult this year has been for teachers and those who manage schools.

Max68

Interesting few articles stating this today. Yes it's mainstream and might not be clarified but the article does state "may".

If true I think this does outline peoples concerns. The argument I see on other sites against lockdowns and restrictions is that the virus only kills a small percentage of those infected and only certain members of society. Still a lottery in my opinion but I digress. However, if the below is true then that's one in five that "may" develop long Covid and if my chances of winning the national lottery were one in five I'd be buying a few tickets tonight!! I think at times the focus is primarily is on deaths, and understandably so but I think Long Covid is not being taken as seriously as maybe it should be.

20% of coronavirus sufferers may develop long COVID, figures suggest (msn.com)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think at times the focus is primarily is on deaths, and understandably so but I think Long Covid is not being taken as seriously as maybe it should be.
It is by those of us who have it. :(

I received an email a couple of days ago. It was entitled 'covid isn't as dangerous as they say' It went on to explain that in USA 90% of positives were false. Well surely if that is so then those 90% who were supposedly asymptomatic or just had a cold have would be taken out of the 'mild symptoms only' category which would then make covid more dangerous to those who really had it, not less! What I mean is a much higher proportion of actual covid sufferers would have died or got seriously ill.

Sorry not expressing myself well today.

I unsubscribed from that particular mailing list.

Reactions: lucylocket61

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
ON principle that they should never ever have their education taken away from them again? It was wrong in March and it is still wrong now but I know that others see them as plague carrying granny killers etc. rather than future tax paying citizens who deserve better than the deal they've had recently..

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
We've got rising numbers again in our area, so one school has had to close because there are too many children and staff self isolating to stay open. Another school had made a prior decision to close last Friday. I've got a family member that attends this school, and they have been off self isolating so much this term, that their education has been far more disrupted than if it had all been online.

Reactions: Jbicheno

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
ON principle that they should never ever have their education taken away from them again? It was wrong in March and it is still wrong now but I know that others see them as plague carrying granny killers etc. rather than future tax paying citizens who deserve better than the deal they've had recently..
better to lose some education than infect vulnerable people, even if they dont know the ones they have spread it to. People managed in wartime etc, its only for a relatively short time, which would be shorter if proper lockdown was allowed.

Thats it - no more discussion with you.

Reactions: Picci and HSSS

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not so much granny killers as teacher infectors. Let's worry about those who also pay taxes right now too.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Not so much granny killers as teacher infectors. Let's worry about those who also pay taxes right now too.
Look if anyone here can show me stats showing teachers are getting any more ill from this than any other section of society please do.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Look if anyone here can show me stats showing teachers are getting any more ill from this than any other section of society please do.
More ill, maybe not. But how do you keep schools open with teachers and pupils at home self isolating?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
More ill, maybe not. But how do you keep schools open with teachers and pupils at home self isolating?
Why would teachers have to get more ill than any other sections of society in order to qualify for safe working conditions? Doesn't make sense.

Now, if shop assistants etc had to spend 8 hours unmasked in a room, in close proximity with 30+ other people who are mixing with others in their homes and travelling, and not social distancing in that room either, then we could make a reasonable comparison.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Why would teachers have to get more ill than any other sections of society in order to qualify for safe working conditions? Doesn't make sense.

Now, if shop assistants etc had to spend 8 hours unmasked in a room, in close proximity with 30+ other people who are mixing with others in their homes and travelling, and not social distancing in that room either, then we could make a reasonable comparison.
Err they did and they didn't get more ill. No signal. Nothing even through the height of the pandemic.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Err they did and they didn't get more ill. No signal. Nothing even through the height of the pandemic.
The data hasn't been published but it follows if the highest infection rates in society are at school, then teachers are getting more ill than other front line workers. They certainly are not wanting to publish the numbers. I think Germany closing its schools shows it's more concerned about its citizens than populist ideas our Government has about not closing schools at all costs.

https://www.tes.com/news/coronavirus-tell-us-how-many-teachers-have-died
https://www.tes.com/news/gibb-not-possible-know-teacher-covid-case-numbers
https://neu.org.uk/press-releases/c...n-rates-highest-amongst-secondary-aged-pupils
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/14/us/german-school-close-coronavirus-lockdown.html