SKIN TAGS AND INSULIN RESISTANCE

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My son has just told me of an article he read somewhere which indicated that 1) there is a relationship between insulin resistance and skin tags and 2) that iodine can get rid of skin tags. Has anyone ever heard of this?

I am T2, insulin resistant and have a dozen or so skin tags, some of which are very uncomfortable. A couple of years ago my GP tried to remove one on my neck with liquid nitrogen. It not only didn't work, but the tag just grew and now looks like a very prominent mole. I have some iodine dry spray and will see if it makes any difference, but I can't see what the connection could be to insulin resistance.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My son has just told me of an article he read somewhere which indicated that 1) there is a relationship between insulin resistance and skin tags and 2) that iodine can get rid of skin tags. Has anyone ever heard of this?

I am T2, insulin resistant and have a dozen or so skin tags, some of which are very uncomfortable. A couple of years ago my GP tried to remove one on my neck with liquid nitrogen. It not only didn't work, but the tag just grew and now looks like a very prominent mole. I have some iodine dry spray and will see if it makes any difference, but I can't see what the connection could be to insulin resistance.

Several years ago, I had some skin tags removed by a plastic surgeon.

To be clear, it's usually a very simple procedure but one was on literally on the very edge of a lower eyelid, and the general surgeon (who was also my GP a the time) said he wouldn't touch my face and so was referred on.

Probably due to an insurer paying I had a bit of a strip search to find any anywhere which were all done at once. I looked like I have been caught by shrapnel, as the plastics guy recommended to my insurers that I have a couple of moles removed from my face at the same time. The tags have never regrown.

Iodine was never suggested as an option to me, and I read there isn't much scientific evidence to support the practice.

To be honest, Ann, I think the most appropriate way to remove a skin tag really depends on it's size, location, whether or not there are associated symptoms and whether or not there are histological concerns.

A chat with your Doc could be in order.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I believe there is a link between skin tags and type 2. I had quite a few skin tags on my neck before my type 2 diagnosis, they rapidly shrunk as I got my blood sugars back to normal, and they are barely noticeable now.

New Haven Neil

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Arrogance, awkward people
Interesting, as I have a good few around the old bod. I had some removed 10-12 years ago by freezing, no problem, but some came back, some didn't. Others in my armpits weren't done at the time, I can't remember why now, but are becoming a nuisance. I was only diagnosed T2 2 years ago, which I have under control by low carbing (51 - 35) it will be interesting to see if I have these ones removed if they come back. I suspect I have been T2 a lot longer than the GP reckons, I have reactive hypogycaemia so it can hide high BG's.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Several years ago, I had some skin tags removed by a plastic surgeon.

To be clear, it's usually a very simple procedure but one was on literally on the very edge of a lower eyelid, and the general surgeon (who was also my GP a the time) said he wouldn't touch my face and so was referred on.

Probably due to an insurer paying I had a bit of a strip search to find any anywhere which were all done at once. I looked like I have been caught by shrapnel, as the plastics guy recommended to my insurers that I have a couple of moles removed from my face at the same time. The tags have never regrown.

Iodine was never suggested as an option to me, and I read there isn't much scientific evidence to support the practice.

To be honest, Ann, I think the most appropriate way to remove a skin tag really depends on it's size, location, whether or not there are associated symptoms and whether or not there are histological concerns.

A chat with your Doc could be in order.

As you will possibly have noted @DCUKMod, I have found that getting attention from a doctor here for minor issues, is not easy. I have been trying to get an opinion on a rash on my leg, sent photos as requested and received a very vague kind of e-mail reply (doesn't look serious, use steroid cream and increase diuretics for a week or so and see if it gets better). So far, all that has happened is a lot more arthritic pain, which might not be connected anyway. The leg isn't serious and nor are the skin tags, just both a nuisance and uncomfortable. I know I should just keep pestering but I haven't the heart for it.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Quite some time ago I had a fair few skin tags removed at the GP surgery. Diabetes was not mentioned but it was after yet another push to get me to eat Breakfast: porridge or cereal with low fat milk or wholemeal bread with low fat spread (It is 4 years since I burnt the diet sheets but I can still quote them). I had a couple of small ones on my neck which snagged my hair and clothing, but then have gone now - and the cyst which drained and I was told would come back, has not.
My skin is so much softer and resilient than it was at diagnosis, and my pores have thrown out hard little plugs which must have been blocking them and stopping their natural working.

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
I have extreme insulin resistance, I also have vast numbers of skin tags. I also have them inside my body, where the doctors call them polyps. I have them in my throat, duodenum, colon, kidneys, liver and lungs. The consensus from all of the doctors is if they're not causing a problem, leave them alone.

There is a 2010 paper in the Ann. Bras. Dermatol. which shows a link between high insulin resistance and the presence of skin tags, but the sample size was only about 100 people, so not totally decisive.

I got fed up with trying to get doctors to remove my skin tags years ago. Now I just put on the anaesthetic cream, pull out the scalpel and remove it myself. Never had a problem, if you catch them fairly small they don't even bleed. Understandably not for everyone though.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I too have heard of a link, and have many skin tags, amongst other various moles, warts, age spots, sun spots etc.
I did get rid of a couple of awkward tags by putting a little apple cider vinegar ona bit of cotton wool and holding it in place with a plaster BUT be very careful, this is a form of acid. AND only use it for short while. Some sites say 10 minutes, some say days so its not exact and it is a form of burn. I tried a small one in an inconspicuous place as a test site first.
BUT do be sure it is a skin tag. I've just had something slightly different come up and it has been diagnosed as Solar Keratosis and I now have a prescribed cream.
I am only giving my own experience and not recommending anything, except make sure you know exactly what it is

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I too have heard of a link, and have many skin tags, amongst other various moles, warts, age spots, sun spots etc.
I did get rid of a couple of awkward tags by putting a little apple cider vinegar ona bit of cotton wool and holding it in place with a plaster BUT be very careful, this is a form of acid. AND only use it for short while. Some sites say 10 minutes, some say days so its not exact and it is a form of burn. I tried a small one in an inconspicuous place as a test site first.
BUT do be sure it is a skin tag. I've just had something slightly different come up and it has been diagnosed as Solar Keratosis and I now have a prescribed cream.
I am only giving my own experience and not recommending anything, except make sure you know exactly what it is

My skin is similar to yours and I also grow polyps inside - mostly bowel but some of them have been malignant, so some caution is needed there. Also had some sort of malignant spot removed from the end of my nose and other "rodent ulcers" around my eyes and face. Had another malignant one removed from my hand. Other spots are said not to be of the malignant kind but caused by sun damage at some stage. So, to be honest, I don't really know what these things are which keep catching on my clothes and getting sore. The only thing I do know is that doctors don't have time to look at them, or do anything about them, these days. That's why I thought I might try to do something myself.

It's another reason to try to get BG down, if that could improve my skin.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I assume that whatever study there is shows that people with diabetes and insulin resistance are more prone to skin tags.

I know that I have a few skin tags but they don't cause me any problems and some just drop off after a while.

Obviously removing skin tags isn't going to change insulin resistance.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
. The only thing I do know is that doctors don't have time to look at them, or do anything about them, these days. That's why I thought I might try to do something myself.
With my recent one, I phoned for an appointment, got a telephone call on the Monday to which I sent photos. Was called in for a face to face on the Friday. Was told would be referred within 7 days. On the Sunday I got a link to an app, to which I attached photos. Had a phone call on the Wednesday with the results. Gp surgery then lost the prescription so waited 2 weeks for that, but other than that was impressed with service and speed. Would have all even done within 2 weeks of first phoen appointment.

Try your gp again, or ask for his confirmation in writing that they are only skin tags

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I assume that whatever study there is shows that people with diabetes and insulin resistance are more prone to skin tags.

I know that I have a few skin tags but they don't cause me any problems and some just drop off after a while.

Obviously removing skin tags isn't going to change insulin resistance.

No, just so. The 2 issues are different kettles of fish but it's just a reminder that diabetes can be responsible for, or linked to in some way, other issues that we might not be aware of. My skin tags are causing me problems, which is why I'm trying to do something about them.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Annb - We've also had other discussions on them if you'd like to do a forum search.

I believe there is a link between skin tags and type 2. I had quite a few skin tags on my neck before my type 2 diagnosis, they rapidly shrunk as I got my blood sugars back to normal, and they are barely noticeable now.
My neck skin tags mainly appeared many years before I was ever T2, but I certainly "lost" a batch of these long term ones off the side of my neck after I started low carbing, mainly just leaving some little slightly darker blemishes. I've very occasionally seen the odd one reappear if my glucose levels increase for a while...

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I appreciate those posting on here are mindful of actions they take, can I just urge extreme caution to anyone considering applying a corrosive liquid or cream to their skin.

Self wielding a scalpel is never going to be on the recommended list either.

Nobody's on the naughty step, but please, please extreme caution, and never, ever even think of any of these steps near your face or other tender areas.

enzina

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pain, being dependent, egoistic people & jealousy
Although i'm T1 i had several small skin tags on the neck. I have applied a strong tea tree solution three times a day and they all disappeared and never came back.
To prevent them from appearing on my face i'm using a tretinion creme (Obagi), my private dermatologist is prescribing it.
My mother was morbidly obese, not diabetic and was covered in skin tags all over her face, neck, cleavage etc.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My mother was morbidly obese, not diabetic and was covered in skin tags all over her face, neck, cleavage etc.
This reminded me of one of my previous neighbours from about 40 years ago who was rather "bonny",and her neck was also covered in skin tags - it was the first time that I'd really ever been aware of them!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am certainly obese (been trying to control it for years), perhaps there is some connection there. There is also a connection to T2 - I've been T2 for many years and was carrying some excess weight, but it was not too unreasonable (mostly fluid which wouldn't go away) but since going on to insulin, I have swollen like a balloon and now am far too heavy for my own good - still mostly fluid and still won't shift. The heavier I've got the more skin tags I've developed.

dwnunder

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Big mouths
I realise that I am a bit late replying but try a pair of tweezers holding the tag in the tweezers as close to the skin as possible, and squeeze. Repeat daily for the next few days and it will drop off. There are no nerves in a skin tag only a blood supply and by cutting the blood supply off it will die and drop off. I had numerous tags on my neck after I gave birth many years ago and visited my GP who said that my growth hormones close to delivering my baby would have caused them. They all went with this method and have never returned. Hope this helps

• Informative
Reactions: filly

CatsFive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you have a tag with an obvious stalk and you or someone you trust can tie a bit of dental floss or tape round the neck that will get rid of it. Dental floss or tape as it's waxed so stays tied, and tie it as tightly as possible.

• Friendly
Reactions: Annb

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I tried that before I went to the doctor about it but it was so very painful that I had to stop. After the doctor tried to freeze it, it grew and eventually developed a second tag on the stem of the first one. This is the one that is causing the most trouble to me because it catches on collars and towels.