One year on

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've now officially been diabetic for one year, although my diabetic symptoms go back at least ten years. Since diagnosis in December 2019 when my BG reached 50 , I've reduced my HbA1c to 36/37; lost about six inches off my waist; and about 10kg - not sure what weight I was when I started. My waist to height ratio is now (just) 'normal'. My BMI isn't and never will be. My cholesterol is high by official NHS standards, but I think the evidence is clear that the level means nothing for my health. Almost all my symptoms have gone, those that haven't gone completely have reduced. According to my DPN I could be labelled as "in remission" but I'm not sure I want that just yet.

It has actually all been really easy, thanks to a low-carb diet (about 20g carbs/day max) and the support of this forum. I have had a few cheat meals through the year, probably about five, but have kept going with low-carb and intermittent fasting otherwise.

I have never been hungry this year and haven't counted calories at all. Within the "few as possible carbs" rule, I've eaten as much as I wanted. That works for me.

I'm really pleased. The key thing is wanting to do it more than you want the bread or potatoes or orange juice or whatever. This time last year I was feeling a bit unsure about whether a low-carb diet would or could work and how quickly. It works, and it works really quickly. One thing I learned - everyone is different. I am wary of people (such as the NHS and its Eatwell plate) who insist you have to do it their way, or not at all. Find what works for you. If I can do it anyone can.

Finally - thanks to the people on the forum who spend a large part of their own time helping by sharing and suggesting. I have had better advice and suggestions from here than anywhere else. @bulkbiker, @Jo Kalsbeek, @Goonergal, @Brunneria, @Jim Lahey, @Oldvatr, @VashtiB – I’m looking at you. Merry Christmas!

Last edited:
Reactions: JoKalsbeek

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Finally - thanks to the people on the forum who spend a large part of their own time helping by sharing and suggesting. I have had better advice and suggestions from here than anywhere else. Bulkbiker, Jo Kalsbeek, Goonergal, Brunneria, Jim Lahey, Oldvatr, VashtiB – I’m looking at you. Merry Christmas!
Merry christmas to you too, and very well done!

If you want to make sure the people you want to thank will see your kind message, simply put an @ before their name and they will get a notification. I'm sure it will be appreciated!

Reactions: KennyA

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What brilliant results and relatively effortlessly too.. the power of being in control of our own health is so motivating.
Well done you.. you did the work we just provided some pointers.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Fantastic, great results all over. Well, done!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've now officially been diabetic for one year, although my diabetic symptoms go back at least ten years. Since diagnosis in December 2019 when my BG reached 50 , I've reduced my HbA1c to 36/37; lost about six inches off my waist; and about 10kg - not sure what weight I was when I started. My waist to height ratio is now (just) 'normal'. My BMI isn't and never will be. My cholesterol is high by official NHS standards, but I think the evidence is clear that the level means nothing for my health. Almost all my symptoms have gone, those that haven't gone completely have reduced. According to my DPN I could be labelled as "in remission" but I'm not sure I want that just yet.

It has actually all been really easy, thanks to a low-carb diet (about 20g carbs/day max) and the support of this forum. I have had a few cheat meals through the year, probably about five, but have kept going with low-carb and intermittent fasting otherwise.

I have never been hungry this year and haven't counted calories at all. Within the "few as possible carbs" rule, I've eaten as much as I wanted. That works for me.

I'm really pleased. The key thing is wanting to do it more than you want the bread or potatoes or orange juice or whatever. This time last year I was feeling a bit unsure about whether a low-carb diet would or could work and how quickly. It works, and it works really quickly. One thing I learned - everyone is different. I am wary of people (such as the NHS and its Eatwell plate) who insist you have to do it their way, or not at all. Find what works for you. If I can do it anyone can.

Finally - thanks to the people on the forum who spend a large part of their own time helping by sharing and suggesting. I have had better advice and suggestions from here than anywhere else. @bulkbiker, @Jo Kalsbeek, @Goonergal, @Brunneria, @Jim Lahey, @Oldvatr, @VashtiB – I’m looking at you. Merry Christmas!
*You* did the work, with excellent results. I'm so happy for you! Merry Christmas to you too, and a happy, healthy 2021!

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This time last year I was feeling a bit unsure about whether a low-carb diet would or could work and how quickly. It works, and it works really quickly.

That is what the global "health" industry's smoke screens are trying to hide...