Covid vaccine and T1D, what are your views?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I have more than 1 auto immune condition, only had the flu jab over the past few years ( mainly because of my elderly dad) never had flu in my life. So, after watching the lovely plucky 90 year old lady from Coventry having the vaccine I see no real reason why we shouldn't have it, to give us some protection, but, it is down to choice, unless the person has had an adverse reaction to vaccines before.
I want to get on with my life and not live in this sorry state of just existing.

diaBeeGees

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Will 100% be taking the vaccine. Vaccines cause adults.

mRNA vaccines do not alter your DNA or cells, they simply use your body's immune system as normal.

mRNA is like an executive chef who develops the recipe. The messenger RNA will have one instruction for your ribosomes (the cooks): follow this very specific, idiot-proof recipe for a spike protein (antigen). Unfortunately your body doesn't really like antigens, and complains to the manager produces antibodies to combat it. Huzzah, you are now immune.

It basically cuts out the middle man and tricks your body into thinking it had the virus. The protein itself is harmless and non-replicating, and the mRNA breaks down in a matter of hours, meaning your body stops producing the antigens and the potential for long term side effects is less than that of the flu vaccine, which is zero.

I'm in my early 30s, reasonably healthy individual with a <50mmol HbA1c. Taking a vaccine is the only way to achieve herd immunity without causing hundreds of thousands of deaths so I'll be taking it for the safety of others, not my own.

jinty73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All members of the british government, benefit fraud, liver & kidneys, animal cruelty, having to work
T1 for 31years, 47 years old. Control is fairly good most of the time. I work in a children’s residential home and all seven kids ages from 14-18 do exactly what they want when they want(regularly through the night). They mix with everyone and are regularly found in other houses, the risk for all staff at my work is high BUT so far no positive cases which is great. Not 100% sure if I want the vaccine but I know I definitely want to go see family in July in Canada so for that reason I’ll definitely take it!!!!

Reactions: oldgreymare

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Was always going to get the vaccine when offered. Now there is this mutation which is more easily spread I will definitely want it. The chances for catching it become so much higher. The increase of people who fiddle with masks, wear in inventive ways and stand too close are much more likely to spread it quickly according to the experts. Two people I know very well nearby have died. And I have two relatives who have had it and still not recovered. The thought of been ill for many weeks of my life next year after all the restrictions this year, fills me with dread. Let alone the chances of dying.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I’ll be taking the vaccine as soon as I’m offered it. I also hope there’ll be enough of the Pfizer or Moderna one for me to have it as they seem, so far, to be the most effective. I also hope the production of RNA vaccines to accommodate the evolving variations of this particular corona will be pretty straightforward and, like the flu vaccine, it’ll be possible to protect people in future years.
I know it’s very early days in vaccine development against Cov-Sars2, so I’ll continue to wear a mask and to be circumspect as we don’t yet know how long the immunity lasts after vaccination.
I fear that herd immunity won’t occur: there’ll be new strains of Covid. I also hope that vaccination will be provided somehow or other for parts of the planet that may not be able to afford the price that wealthier nations are being charged for it.

Reactions: Diane fluteplayer

TypeZero.

Type 1 since 1976, possibly triggered by a flu epidemic. I am a 53 year old primary teacher with other auto-immune conditions as well as type 1 and quite far down the list of people entitled to the vaccine as far as I can tell. I am very grateful that people are working so hard on making vaccines available and hope they are all fine, but I am a bit anxious about the new RNA type of vaccine and especially whether or not it is more or less likely to cause further auto-immune responses than more traditional vaccines. I don't know if there is data available about any trials of any of the vaccines which were carried out on people with existing auto-immune conditions, or how long it takes auto-immune responses to kick in after a vaccine or illness. Any enlightenment gratefully received!

I had the same thought as you. We already have an autoimmune condition and we wouldn’t want to worsen it by using an mRNA vaccine.

The mRNA enters cells and attaches to ribosomes which allow the spike protein to be produced, these spike proteins are released by your cells, if for some reason the immune system gets confused and starts attacking healthy cells then we will develop other autoimmune conditions

Reactions: Gembow

CarolMac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Restaurants and fast food places sneak sugar in their foods, so it is hard for me to participate in social events involving food.
Yes, I definitely will be taking the vaccine. I am hoping the Pfizer vaccine, if I am given a choice. Just wondering after taking the first vaccine, will the second shot be available? Live in southern Orange County, California, USA. Right now we are in the purple tier on the CDC scale ie: between December 9th and December 22nd we have had 39,961 new cases of coronavirus in Orange County and so far since the outbreak we have had 1,781 deaths in Orange County. What is scary to me is that people show no symptoms and do not know they are sick at the onset, and then are around others spreading it. I am a Type 1 diabetic for 52 years which I got from a flu. On Tresiba & Humalog. I am eating healthy (only carbs when I run low which is usually 3am - 5am), walking 2 miles a day, and staying isolated at home by myself. There is no way I want to get mamed or die from COVID-19 after taking such good care of my diabetics for all these years. Yes, on the vaccine!

Lynne C J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It's good to see most of us are in favour of it. I imagine when insulin was first discovered there were naysayers. I am all for vaccines for children for example, (notwithstanding some children are not suitable for them), antibiotics, medicines and ALL the jabs created for our health. I am not naive, I know there have been mistakes with various drugs in the past but would we all wish to go back to the 'good old days'? What I detest is those who refuse a vaccine (without a health reason) yet expect others to have them and to take any associated risk, yet REFUSE to have their own kids or themselves vaccinated in the hope 'everybody else does'. In my opinion, selfish.
You are so right! The worst part is that we all know now that BAME people are three times more likely to catch Covid 19 and to be severely affected by it but most of those from the BAME community that have been asked about being vaccinated say they don't want it as it hasn't been tested enough yet. Maybe that is from historically not being treated well but you have to make up your own mind about this. You stand far more chance of being ill from Covid than you do from any vaccination. I can't wait for the vaccine to be available for me, T1 for 40 years.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You are so right! The worst part is that we all know now that BAME people are three times more likely to catch Covid 19 and to be severely affected by it but most of those from the BAME community that have been asked about being vaccinated say they don't want it as it hasn't been tested enough yet. Maybe that is from historically not being treated well but you have to make up your own mind about this. You stand far more chance of being ill from Covid than you do from any vaccination. I can't wait for the vaccine to be available for me, T1 for 40 years.

I myself am from the BAME 'community' and nobody has asked me. I do wonder how much of that aspect is based on reality rather than false statistics deliberately designed to leave people with the impression 'most' do not want it. Not my experience.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'll be having it as soon as it's offered to me. A personal risk assessment tells me I'd be crazy not to. But I'd have it even if my health was perfect.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

bmtest

At the moment for me is why take it if you have had the virus so would only take if there was no other choice. It's a life saver for many though and it offers hooe for future.

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'll be getting the vaccine as soon as I'm offered it, due in part to my sister getting Covid and having a stroke from getting it (Covid is known to thicken the blood and can, does cause you to have a stroke) and my friend, no underlying health conditions and supremely fit, ended up in intensive care and nearly died from Covid and is still suffering with Long Covid. So I will be getting it,

Twini

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As per title, will you be taking? How do you feel about it etc.
Yes I will be having the vaccine when I get the letter even though I have had it too it’s something in which I am totally in agreement of.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I had my vaccine last week (AZ) with a slight headache for a day and being marginally below par for the next day. Being on insulin is irrelevant but best to avoid a hypo. My sister had hers 2 weeks ago (Pfizer) and generally felt fine but she is not diabetic.

mooshk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fataphobia, Ableism, Sexism, Racism, Patriarchy. Most right wing fools.
Had my first Pfizer vaccine yesterday (Midlands uk) and was the least painful jab I've had (had to ask if she'd actually done it). My arms painful today but nothing awful, otherwise just a bit of fatigue. Really pleased I've had it. Type 1 for 26 years

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I am a bit wary about having an auto immune disease and the vaccine is using a already debunked system to try and control the virus.I’m not ani vaccine either , but if I had a choice I probably wouldn’t have it ! But even though it’s apparently non compulsory
I believe if you want to do something like we did before all this started you will have to have it . The test will be if people keep dying after it .I hope not , but hey people die of the flu and we get a vaccination for that .

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
My diabetes was caused by being vaccinated against getting smallpox back in 1966. Should I worry about the covid vaccination?
How do you know that the smallpox vaccine caused your diabetes - I'm old enough to have had two smallpox vaccinations for international travel, but only developed T1 30 years later...

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
cleardot.gif
https://mobile.twitter.com/i/events/1334871309994475520?cn=ZmxleGlibGVfcmVjcw==&refsrc=email

Reactions: mooshk