JoeyGraf20

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The cold
Hi all,

I was recently diagnosed with Type One in October. Since then i have been getting to grips with the lifestyle changes that need to be made to control and keep on top of my levels. I have been enjoying this new insight into my body and how foods effect my blood sugars, but equally tad frustrating having to think and refrain before eating/drinking as i am a big eater and snacker.

Now before 2020 kicked off the way it did, my plan this year was to visit LA on my birthday (also October) to see what it was all about as it has always been somewhere i have wanted to live (mainly though whats been seen on TV, dream to live in a sunny climate by the beach) i have Dual Citizenship which makes it easy for me to just pack up and move there as my brother did 2 years ago but he opted for Green Bay (not a Packers fan, mainly for the family and then female friend, married, divorced all in just over a year) Living in the UK i have access to the amazing healthcare we have here with our NHS and all my needs are taken care of by what i have been paying into the "system" since working and i don't pay for anything i need...Insulin, needles, tester strips...you name it, its covered.

I have read a lot of articles and new reports about the cost of living with Diabetes in the US and although my dream is still to move there, i am somewhat put off and want to get my head around what i need to know before i make the jump or make major considerations as to where and when i decide to move. i am 29 now and by the end of my 30th year on earth i would like to be close to finishing my accounting degree so would be looking to move after that, maybe aged 32.

Is there any tips, tricks or places i should be looking for content or advice, or has anyone done the move themselves?

Thank you for anything and everything,
Joe

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Is there any tips, tricks or places i should be looking for content or advice, or has anyone done the move themselves?
Hi @JoeyGraf20 , and welcome to the forum!

I don't know how things work in the US, but from what I've heard it's a pretty grim place for those needing health care.
While this is an international forum, the majority of our members are from the UK. So while you may get useful answers here, I think it wouldn't hurt to find a US based forum to ask your question there as well.

Good luck, I hope it all works out wonderfully!

JoeyGraf20

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The cold
I think its mainly down to what healthcare you can get from what i have read but nothing conclusive and seeing as such a large amount of people in the US have Diabetes i would've thought it would be looked after a bit better than what i have read haha

maybe i need to move to Canada or something :)

but thank you, i will have a look for a US Forum as well

Reactions: Antje77

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @JoeyGraf20 I only know that insulin is very expensive in the USA and I believe has to be bought by the individual. I'll tag @Marie 2 as she's from the US and may be able to help. Good luck!

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there, my understanding is that for many people, their Companies provide health insurance that would cover this. Would you be expecting to join a decent Company (in accounting) that would include Health Insurance? x

JoeyGraf20

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The cold
Thank you all,

The jobs I have looked at have provided healthcare so I guess it would be to settle on a role and check out the level of healthcare that is given, as again I have read a few articles where companies cover most of the cost but there is sometimes still a cost involved.

I personally wouldn't go to USA without having healthcare in place knowing how bad it can be for people so just wanted a gauge of how people with similar type one and insulin dependant diabetes get one with it all.

We are quite privileged here I think and certainly for me so far as I haven't ever been ill or needed the NHS before this so appreciating the system even more now

Reactions: KK123 and Antje77

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
The jobs I have looked at have provided healthcare so I guess it would be to settle on a role and check out the level of healthcare that is given, as again I have read a few articles where companies cover most of the cost but there is sometimes still a cost involved.

I believe that an issue with that is that if you lose your job (eg due to company issues from covid) then you have no medical cover. It's crazy that 100 years ago Banting and Best and Collip sold the patent for insulin for $1 so that diabetics throughout the world could get insulin and now the US has the most expensive insulin in the world.

Intersting article here about comparative insulin prices.

Man Compares Insulin Prices Worldwide | The Diabetes Site News (greatergood.com)

Of course, pre covid US diabetics could go to Canada to buy cheaper insulin. Not sure how that works now....

JoeyGraf20

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The cold
$350 for one vial which is equal to how many mls? One of my pens holds 300ml and lasts max 2 weeks...I walk into my doctors and they give me 5 of each that I need without blinking an eye lid

Crazy to see the differences and how that could affect lifestyles so easy all based on money

I got taken to hospital on a whim 3 months ago, blood sugar was 38 and ketones were 8.3...I was still living the life, gyming, drinking if I wanted too....I am now still living that same life with only having to think about food or drink.
If I moved to USA I would have to factor in the massive healthcare cost just to be alive crazy world

JoeyGraf20

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The cold
Was just an idea tbh Mike, wasn't going for a year or two so was never going to be a jump on the plane and go type of thing...wanted to do my research before even considering it
My brother did it with little knowledge and loves it so just wanted to be slightly more equipt than he was but no definites

Reactions: Antje77