Food ideas for even lower carbing

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
So, I came off the wagon at Xmas but that’s normal. Normally if I come off the wagon, and go back on it my sugars drop quite quickly, this time they haven’t,
I’m sitting at 9s every morning (although being in tier 4 I’m not working so probably taking them a bit later).
I can get them down by the end of a day to the 6s but then I’m feeling like I’m having false hypo.
I’m wondering if my injection (trulicity) had to overwork on sat as that was Boxing Day and it wasn’t a good food day or a good anything day. So used all it’s mojo up early.
So I’m trying to go even lower carb.
For breakfast I’ve had just egg and bacon (no tomato) for lunch I’ll probably have an omelette with bacon and cheese maybe.
But I’m stuck for dinner, usually it’s just something like a chop and some peas and green beans but I want to not have the veg, as that’s carbs,
And I’m stuck. I have gammon steak so could have a chop, gammon steak and some egg. Can’t have sausages as they have carbs. I do have chicken and chicken thighs in the freezer.

I do have my hot chocolate which is under 4g and what with being in lockdown and not seeing anyone I’m not sure I can drop them completely, if I drink too much tea I just feel sick, and I don’t drink coffee. I do have herbal tea so I’ll try and have more of those today, but if I only have them I will still be under the 20g.

but it’s just what to have for dinner tonight, Possibly a I should already know this question but I can’t think.
I don’t want to go out to the shops to get anything and my weekly shop doesn’t come until Saturday late afternoon.
I have been exercising and that doesn’t seem to be dropping them much either.

my dr isn’t in this week and next week is in and out as she is helping with the vaccination programme at a local practice. But to be honest I’d rather sort this out because it shouldn’t be this re is no reason for them to be misbehaving, other than it’s lockdown and apparently my body doesn’t like lockdown as each one so far they ah e ran a little higher. But I’m really not liking the constant wake up on a 9.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So, I came off the wagon at Xmas but that’s normal. Normally if I come off the wagon, and go back on it my sugars drop quite quickly, this time they haven’t,
I’m sitting at 9s every morning (although being in tier 4 I’m not working so probably taking them a bit later).
I can get them down by the end of a day to the 6s but then I’m feeling like I’m having false hypo.
I’m wondering if my injection (trulicity) had to overwork on sat as that was Boxing Day and it wasn’t a good food day or a good anything day. So used all it’s mojo up early.
So I’m trying to go even lower carb.
For breakfast I’ve had just egg and bacon (no tomato) for lunch I’ll probably have an omelette with bacon and cheese maybe.
But I’m stuck for dinner, usually it’s just something like a chop and some peas and green beans but I want to not have the veg, as that’s carbs,
And I’m stuck. I have gammon steak so could have a chop, gammon steak and some egg. Can’t have sausages as they have carbs. I do have chicken and chicken thighs in the freezer.

I do have my hot chocolate which is under 4g and what with being in lockdown and not seeing anyone I’m not sure I can drop them completely, if I drink too much tea I just feel sick, and I don’t drink coffee. I do have herbal tea so I’ll try and have more of those today, but if I only have them I will still be under the 20g.

but it’s just what to have for dinner tonight, Possibly a I should already know this question but I can’t think.
I don’t want to go out to the shops to get anything and my weekly shop doesn’t come until Saturday late afternoon.
I have been exercising and that doesn’t seem to be dropping them much either.

my dr isn’t in this week and next week is in and out as she is helping with the vaccination programme at a local practice. But to be honest I’d rather sort this out because it shouldn’t be this re is no reason for them to be misbehaving, other than it’s lockdown and apparently my body doesn’t like lockdown as each one so far they ah e ran a little higher. But I’m really not liking the constant wake up on a 9.
You're sounding quite stressed with it all, which probably isn't helping your numbers much either. Stick with meat, eggs, fish, poultry as much as possible. And I'm going against the grain with the "go with the chocolate", because it sounds like you could do with some warmth and endorphins, so yay for the cocoa bean! But if you're not doing groceries until Saturday, maybe cut yourself a break and just do what you can manage, and start with (very) low carb from Saturday evening on, if that's more manageable. Can't wring water from a stone, after all. It's not like you'd be putting it off indefinitely, just until you have something you can actually work with.

Hope you feel better and in range soon!
Jo

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you’re wanting to skip the veg, I’d just eat a little more of the protein you have planned. Your suggestion of gammon and egg sounds good.

The trick for me is to mix up the meats from day to day and also vary how they’re cooked. Crispy chicken wings are good and some halloumi wrapped in bacon is good for an accompaniment.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
You're sounding quite stressed with it all, which probably isn't helping your numbers much either. Stick with meat, eggs, fish, poultry as much as possible. And I'm going against the grain with the "go with the chocolate", because it sounds like you could do with some warmth and endorphins, so yay for the cocoa bean! But if you're not doing groceries until Saturday, maybe cut yourself a break and just do what you can manage, and start with (very) low carb from Saturday evening on, if that's more manageable. Can't wring water from a stone, after all. It's not like you'd be putting it off indefinitely, just until you have something you can actually work with.

Hope you feel better and in range soon!
Jo
Thank you,
I guess it could be stress but I’ve been more stressed before and they haven’t been this ridiculous.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
If you’re wanting to skip the veg, I’d just eat a little more of the protein you have planned. Your suggestion of gammon and egg sounds good.

The trick for me is to mix up the meats from day to day and also vary how they’re cooked. Crispy chicken wings are good and some halloumi wrapped in bacon is good for an accompaniment.

I have an air frier so I’m guessing I can cook chicken wings in that?

what else would you say for eating more protein and less carbs? The thought of just slabs of meat isn’t particularly appetising. I’ll do it for a couple of days to see if it does something but not sure I can do it longer term. Already struggle with what I have already but these sugars are doing my head in, there is just no need

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I meant skip dinner entirely?
Oh I thought you meant fast for the day,

I could. I’m a bit wary (scared) of fasting because I then eat more overall, and I wake up in the night hungry.
I think if I fasted I’d end up just having more hot chocolate to see me through which would defeat the object.
I used to suffer (if you ever get over it albeit it’s very rare these days) from bulimia so I’m a bit wary with not eating,

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh I thought you meant fast for the day,

I could. I’m a bit wary (scared) of fasting because I then eat more overall, and I wake up in the night hungry.
I think if I fasted I’d end up just having more hot chocolate to see me through which would defeat the object.
I used to suffer (if you ever get over it albeit it’s very rare these days) from bulimia so I’m a bit wary with not eating,
OK... just a suggestion.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

what else would you say for eating more protein and less carbs? The thought of just slabs of meat isn’t particularly appetising. I’ll do it for a couple of days to see if it does something but not sure I can do it longer term. Already struggle with what I have already but these sugars are doing my head in, there is just no need

Chicken wings in the air fryer are awesome.

Rather than ‘slabs’ of meat, try cooking in different ways - minced beef, small pieces of pork belly in the air frier. Omelettes, fish if you like that.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Wings would work in a fryer, absolutely. And indeed, cooking things in various ways'd help. I love steak and never bore of it, but putting an egg (sunny side up) on top was different... Add different herbs, maybe a herb butter. Aioli, mayo, low sugar ketchup (if that's available), a bit of lemon juice and such might switch things up for you as well. Hard cheeses, olives, avocado, pork scratchings...

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
OK... just a suggestion.
It was a good idea thank you. It’s just me not liking fasting, although I guess if I ate a later lunch and then maybe a bit bigger I could potentially do it,
I’ll have a think

I always thought fasting was an all day thing?

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Wings would work in a fryer, absolutely. And indeed, cooking things in various ways'd help. I love steak and never bore of it, but putting an egg (sunny side up) on top was different... Add different herbs, maybe a herb butter. Aioli, mayo, low sugar ketchup (if that's available), a bit of lemon juice and such might switch things up for you as well. Hard cheeses, olives, avocado, pork scratchings...
Thank you. I am a very lazy boring cook. Didn’t use to be but really have no enthusiasm for it. I have the skinny range of sauces.
A couple of weeks ago I did a burger salad, so just minced beef on watercress and gherkins and tomato etc) and some of the skinny food sauces. Was quite tasty.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Chicken wings in the air fryer are awesome.

Rather than ‘slabs’ of meat, try cooking in different ways - minced beef, small pieces of pork belly in the air frier. Omelettes, fish if you like that.
I have never had pork belly. Does that come out like crackling?

I have chicken thighs so have got them out to try and air fry them once I work out how

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have never had pork belly. Does that come out like crackling?

The top should be crispy, but the meat moist. This’ll give you an idea:

6F784173-2782-43DC-8FA9-EE429A74EB91.jpg

Reactions: VashtiB

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Could possibly be because you are stressing - my blood sugars rise when I stress over things. If I have gammon steaks I usually put a fried egg on top and grated cheese on top of that. Btw what hot chocolate is just 4g carbs? sounds nice especially on a snowy, chilly day like today.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Could possibly be because you are stressing - my blood sugars rise when I stress over things. If I have gammon steaks I usually put a fried egg on top and grated cheese on top of that. Btw what hot chocolate is just 4g carbs? sounds nice especially on a snowy, chilly day like today.
It’s just highlights,
The sachets are 3.9 for 11 g. I get the jars as cheaper and just measure 11g each time I have a drink,

Reactions: Mrs T 123

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It was a good idea thank you. It’s just me not liking fasting, although I guess if I ate a later lunch and then maybe a bit bigger I could potentially do it,
I’ll have a think

I always thought fasting was an all day thing?
Intermittent fasting is a "thing" too.. I usually don't eat until mid afternoon then have 2 meals between 3 and 8 pm that's it apart from coffee with cream.