1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Food ideas for even lower carbing

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by woollygal, Dec 31, 2020.

1. woollygal

woollygal Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Ah ok. I do that sometimes if I don’t have brekkie.

2. woollygal

Finally! I finally got in the 5s! Well on one machine.

All I’ve had is egg and bacon and cheese and one hot choc!

going to have crispy chicken wings tonight!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

I never saw the point of chicken wings, until we bought an airfryer.

I also like chicken thighs air fried. Sprinkling them with lemon pepper makes for very tasty, easy dish.

If you like Tandoori, this is is super, super easy and very, very tasty. The original recipe is for lamb chops, but I've used the marinade with chicken too.

If you make a whole batch of the marinade, any excess can be frozen in snack bags, and brought out as required. Whilst I have a bag of marinade and chicken at home, I know I'll always have a delicious meal around.

https://cookpad.com/us/recipes/2609649-tandoori-lamb-chops

4. woollygal

I’ll have a look thank you.

5. VashtiB

VashtiB Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm glad your levels have gone down that must feel awesome.

Some suggestions that work for me- just in terms of having other ideas-
    diet jelly- you can also put some cream in it for a different texture and taste.
    Try some thick cream- dollop type or double cream with a little of the hot chocolate powder- that can be a dessert and you need very little of the powder.
    I also have cheese melted on top of a steak and that helps the 'slabs of meat' feeling.
    eggs in an omelette ,
    mushrooms- I have them cooked in truffle oil for a different taste.

Good luck

• Like Like x 1
  6. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

I do chicken thighs, something to get my teeth into - and I get sausages from the Co-op. They are expensive, and you need to watch that they have been stored properly and are in date - but when they are fresh they are very good.

7. woollygal

My efforts didn’t work.
    Yesterday I only had my 2 hot chocolate so I had less than 8 g of carbs and woke at 9.5 this morning.
    And to be honest it took all day yesterday to get to 5.4. Normally if I ate no carbs I’d be at that level by late morning/lunchtime.
    Must be something going on that I’m not privy to.

• Hug Hug x 1
  8. woollygal

My chicken wings were not crispy. God knows what I did to them.
    Just general and quite greasy actually.
    I’ll have to have a play

9. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

Look for 97% meat sausages (e.g. some Heck or Waitrose ones) - they're pretty d**n near carb free...

• Like Like x 1
  10. DaisyDuke 2

DaisyDuke 2 Type 2 · Active Member

You want to give up peas, I find spinach really works for me, check out diet doctor.com, you don’t need to join, they will tell you what veg is highest in carbs and then you will know what to avoid.. Basically everything below ground is out, with the exception of peas and sweetcorn

Do you like curry? Have with cabbage instead of rice or cauliflower rice. A cabbage, savoy is the best, will last a week. Put frozen spinach in the curry with coconut cream it’s delicious . Can give you a recipe if you need one?

Plus, eat your high carbs in the morning, I have Hovis low carb bread every morning with eggs & bacon or just toast then go for a 30 minute walk/jog., by the time I come back my blood is around the low 5’s sometimes 4’s.

Sausages, look out for high meat, 90% or gluten free, I buy from local butcher and whilst not gluten free they are high meat, so don’t have a problem.

Sugarfree Londoner is also very good for all sweet treats once you get things under control . She does also have some great meal idea, you just need to choose what right for you.

what excerise are you doing?.

11. DaisyDuke 2

Me 2, if I don’t feel hungry, housework/washing and stuff and then eat Eggs on toast with bacon & mushrooms around 11-12noon and then dinner about 6-7pm.

12. DaisyDuke 2

Has anyone had low carb Chinese food or eaten Chinese food since being diagnosed?
    As far as I can see, it’s just full of carbs and sugar, ever though I used to love it along with Thai food

13. woollygal

I have tried them and I just didn’t like the flavour. They just seemed to have a strange taste. i have found the m and a ones are much nicer (only discovered them just before xmas)

14. woollygal

The last time I checked (which is a while ago) peas didn’t really do anything. If I have them with a meal it’s with a chop or something so it’s the only carbs in the meal (apart from the green beans).
    I’ll check again but to be honest I haven’t eaten them since Monday and not much has changed.
    At 6 last night I ate 3 chicken wings with a lo dough southern fried coating on and then still felt peckish so had a ton of tuna with some Mayo. All super low carb and by 9.30 I was in the 9s again. they do seem to be dropping albeit very slowly. I was in the 6s most of the afternoon yesterday. Also had about 4 hot chocolates through the day.
    I don’t eat anything that is high carb. For breakfast it’s a fry up with 2 tomatoes. lunch is the carb zone tortillas with meat and leaves and tomato then dinner is meat and veg.
    I don’t eat bread high carb or low carb.

when I’m working I’ll have something like sausages very late afternoon just to give me some energy for a later lesson. But now I’m now working I don’t need it so I don’t have it.

15. woollygal

Exercise is a lot of walking 2-4 miles and I do the own your goals davina so combat cardio, Pilates etc.

16. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

Just to clarify for others doing Low Carb, 3,9 g per 11 g equates to 35g per 100 or 35%. These are not what I would class as a Low Carb intake. You do need to be careful with these since it becomes a runaway train if you let it

I note elsewhere that you report changing to a new meter that seems to read higher than your old one. Are you allowing for that change when discussing what you used to do to what is happening now?

17. woollygal

The hot chocolate doesn’t do anything other than maybe a point rise.

mom using both meters. My new meter tends to be even high but the old one is still showing 9s in the morning.

18. woollygal

I always thought as long as something was under 5g that was low carb. I’m not having even close to 100g in one day so I would never reach the levels you wrote.

19. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

Lo-Dough coating is 7.9 g per 100 g so again is not very low carb. It has wheat fibre, which is a no-no for some here.
    I presume your ton of tuna was meant to be a tin. The mayo will possibly add carbs. In a previous post you mention LC tortillas, and here you add 4 hot chocolates. Not exactly a "super Low Carb" day IMO. I think you have hidden carbs in the vegetables which you did not mention. Even a large portion of green beans will add a few grams. There are many here who find 20g carbs per DAY is all they can handle.

You are eating high protein snd seemingly low fat, so it is possible that you are getting gluconeogenesis happening, where your body is turning protein and lipids into glucose to maintain the level you had over the festive holiday, Your body thinks it is being starved and is fighting back. It should reset itself but may take a week or so to do that, Bulkbiker's suggestion of fasting is still a potential remedy worth considering to force s reset.

I find my sugars sometimes go higher than expected after a high protein meal if the portion size is large

• Like Like x 1
  20. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Expert

5g per 100g is a low carb item in and of itself.

5g of carbs of a high carb item mean little total consumption of carbs but doesn’t make the item low carb itself.

but obviously a higher % carb item if eaten in tiny quantities is probably better for bgl than a huge amount of a moderate % item.

• Agree Agree x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook