Food ideas for even lower carbing

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Intermittent fasting is a "thing" too.. I usually don't eat until mid afternoon then have 2 meals between 3 and 8 pm that's it apart from coffee with cream.
Ah ok. I do that sometimes if I don’t have brekkie.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Finally! I finally got in the 5s! Well on one machine.

All I’ve had is egg and bacon and cheese and one hot choc!

going to have crispy chicken wings tonight!

Attachments

• 6D3FAAD2-3901-4B5C-A5B6-2D66D85B66C9.jpeg
    6D3FAAD2-3901-4B5C-A5B6-2D66D85B66C9.jpeg
    27.5 KB · Views: 178

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Finally! I finally got in the 5s! Well on one machine.

All I’ve had is egg and bacon and cheese and one hot choc!

going to have crispy chicken wings tonight!

I never saw the point of chicken wings, until we bought an airfryer.

I also like chicken thighs air fried. Sprinkling them with lemon pepper makes for very tasty, easy dish.

If you like Tandoori, this is is super, super easy and very, very tasty. The original recipe is for lamb chops, but I've used the marinade with chicken too.

If you make a whole batch of the marinade, any excess can be frozen in snack bags, and brought out as required. Whilst I have a bag of marinade and chicken at home, I know I'll always have a delicious meal around.

https://cookpad.com/us/recipes/2609649-tandoori-lamb-chops

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I never saw the point of chicken wings, until we bought an airfryer.

I also like chicken thighs air fried. Sprinkling them with lemon pepper makes for very tasty, easy dish.

If you like Tandoori, this is is super, super easy and very, very tasty. The original recipe is for lamb chops, but I've used the marinade with chicken too.

If you make a whole batch of the marinade, any excess can be frozen in snack bags, and brought out as required. Whilst I have a bag of marinade and chicken at home, I know I'll always have a delicious meal around.

https://cookpad.com/us/recipes/2609649-tandoori-lamb-chops
I’ll have a look thank you.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm glad your levels have gone down that must feel awesome.

Some suggestions that work for me- just in terms of having other ideas-
diet jelly- you can also put some cream in it for a different texture and taste.
Try some thick cream- dollop type or double cream with a little of the hot chocolate powder- that can be a dessert and you need very little of the powder.
I also have cheese melted on top of a steak and that helps the 'slabs of meat' feeling.
eggs in an omelette ,
mushrooms- I have them cooked in truffle oil for a different taste.

Good luck

Reactions: woollygal

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I do chicken thighs, something to get my teeth into - and I get sausages from the Co-op. They are expensive, and you need to watch that they have been stored properly and are in date - but when they are fresh they are very good.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
My efforts didn’t work.
Yesterday I only had my 2 hot chocolate so I had less than 8 g of carbs and woke at 9.5 this morning.
And to be honest it took all day yesterday to get to 5.4. Normally if I ate no carbs I’d be at that level by late morning/lunchtime.
Must be something going on that I’m not privy to.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Chicken wings in the air fryer are awesome.

Rather than ‘slabs’ of meat, try cooking in different ways - minced beef, small pieces of pork belly in the air frier. Omelettes, fish if you like that.
My chicken wings were not crispy. God knows what I did to them.
Just general and quite greasy actually.
I’ll have to have a play

DaisyDuke 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Selfish arrogant people.
So, I came off the wagon at Xmas but that’s normal. Normally if I come off the wagon, and go back on it my sugars drop quite quickly, this time they haven’t,
I’m sitting at 9s every morning (although being in tier 4 I’m not working so probably taking them a bit later).
I can get them down by the end of a day to the 6s but then I’m feeling like I’m having false hypo.
I’m wondering if my injection (trulicity) had to overwork on sat as that was Boxing Day and it wasn’t a good food day or a good anything day. So used all it’s mojo up early.
So I’m trying to go even lower carb.
For breakfast I’ve had just egg and bacon (no tomato) for lunch I’ll probably have an omelette with bacon and cheese maybe.
But I’m stuck for dinner, usually it’s just something like a chop and some peas and green beans but I want to not have the veg, as that’s carbs,
And I’m stuck. I have gammon steak so could have a chop, gammon steak and some egg. Can’t have sausages as they have carbs. I do have chicken and chicken thighs in the freezer.

I do have my hot chocolate which is under 4g and what with being in lockdown and not seeing anyone I’m not sure I can drop them completely, if I drink too much tea I just feel sick, and I don’t drink coffee. I do have herbal tea so I’ll try and have more of those today, but if I only have them I will still be under the 20g.

but it’s just what to have for dinner tonight, Possibly a I should already know this question but I can’t think.
I don’t want to go out to the shops to get anything and my weekly shop doesn’t come until Saturday late afternoon.
I have been exercising and that doesn’t seem to be dropping them much either.

my dr isn’t in this week and next week is in and out as she is helping with the vaccination programme at a local practice. But to be honest I’d rather sort this out because it shouldn’t be this re is no reason for them to be misbehaving, other than it’s lockdown and apparently my body doesn’t like lockdown as each one so far they ah e ran a little higher. But I’m really not liking the constant wake up on a 9.

You want to give up peas, I find spinach really works for me, check out diet doctor.com, you don’t need to join, they will tell you what veg is highest in carbs and then you will know what to avoid.. Basically everything below ground is out, with the exception of peas and sweetcorn

Do you like curry? Have with cabbage instead of rice or cauliflower rice. A cabbage, savoy is the best, will last a week. Put frozen spinach in the curry with coconut cream it’s delicious . Can give you a recipe if you need one?

Plus, eat your high carbs in the morning, I have Hovis low carb bread every morning with eggs & bacon or just toast then go for a 30 minute walk/jog., by the time I come back my blood is around the low 5’s sometimes 4’s.

Sausages, look out for high meat, 90% or gluten free, I buy from local butcher and whilst not gluten free they are high meat, so don’t have a problem.

Sugarfree Londoner is also very good for all sweet treats once you get things under control . She does also have some great meal idea, you just need to choose what right for you.

what excerise are you doing?.

DaisyDuke 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Selfish arrogant people.
Ah ok. I do that sometimes if I don’t have brekkie.
Me 2, if I don’t feel hungry, housework/washing and stuff and then eat Eggs on toast with bacon & mushrooms around 11-12noon and then dinner about 6-7pm.

DaisyDuke 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Selfish arrogant people.
Has anyone had low carb Chinese food or eaten Chinese food since being diagnosed?
As far as I can see, it’s just full of carbs and sugar, ever though I used to love it along with Thai food

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Look for 97% meat sausages (e.g. some Heck or Waitrose ones) - they're pretty d**n near carb free...
I have tried them and I just didn’t like the flavour. They just seemed to have a strange taste. i have found the m and a ones are much nicer (only discovered them just before xmas)

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
You want to give up peas, I find spinach really works for me, check out diet doctor.com, you don’t need to join, they will tell you what veg is highest in carbs and then you will know what to avoid.. Basically everything below ground is out, with the exception of peas and sweetcorn

Do you like curry? Have with cabbage instead of rice or cauliflower rice. A cabbage, savoy is the best, will last a week. Put frozen spinach in the curry with coconut cream it’s delicious . Can give you a recipe if you need one?

Plus, eat your high carbs in the morning, I have Hovis low carb bread every morning with eggs & bacon or just toast then go for a 30 minute walk/jog., by the time I come back my blood is around the low 5’s sometimes 4’s.

Sausages, look out for high meat, 90% or gluten free, I buy from local butcher and whilst not gluten free they are high meat, so don’t have a problem.

Sugarfree Londoner is also very good for all sweet treats once you get things under control . She does also have some great meal idea, you just need to choose what right for you.

The last time I checked (which is a while ago) peas didn’t really do anything. If I have them with a meal it’s with a chop or something so it’s the only carbs in the meal (apart from the green beans).
I’ll check again but to be honest I haven’t eaten them since Monday and not much has changed.
At 6 last night I ate 3 chicken wings with a lo dough southern fried coating on and then still felt peckish so had a ton of tuna with some Mayo. All super low carb and by 9.30 I was in the 9s again. they do seem to be dropping albeit very slowly. I was in the 6s most of the afternoon yesterday. Also had about 4 hot chocolates through the day.
I don’t eat anything that is high carb. For breakfast it’s a fry up with 2 tomatoes. lunch is the carb zone tortillas with meat and leaves and tomato then dinner is meat and veg.
I don’t eat bread high carb or low carb.

when I’m working I’ll have something like sausages very late afternoon just to give me some energy for a later lesson. But now I’m now working I don’t need it so I don’t have it.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes

Exercise is a lot of walking 2-4 miles and I do the own your goals davina so combat cardio, Pilates etc.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It’s just highlights,
The sachets are 3.9 for 11 g. I get the jars as cheaper and just measure 11g each time I have a drink,
Just to clarify for others doing Low Carb, 3,9 g per 11 g equates to 35g per 100 or 35%. These are not what I would class as a Low Carb intake. You do need to be careful with these since it becomes a runaway train if you let it

I note elsewhere that you report changing to a new meter that seems to read higher than your old one. Are you allowing for that change when discussing what you used to do to what is happening now?

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Just to clarify for others doing Low Carb, 3,9 g per 11 g equates to 35g per 100 or 35%. These are not what I would class as a Low Carb intake. You do need to be careful with these since it becomes a runaway train if you let it

I note elsewhere that you report changing to a new meter that seems to read higher than your old one. Are you allowing for that change when discussing what you used to do to what is happening now?
The hot chocolate doesn’t do anything other than maybe a point rise.

mom using both meters. My new meter tends to be even high but the old one is still showing 9s in the morning.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes

I always thought as long as something was under 5g that was low carb. I’m not having even close to 100g in one day so I would never reach the levels you wrote.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The last time I checked (which is a while ago) peas didn’t really do anything. If I have them with a meal it’s with a chop or something so it’s the only carbs in the meal (apart from the green beans).
I’ll check again but to be honest I haven’t eaten them since Monday and not much has changed.
At 6 last night I ate 3 chicken wings with a lo dough southern fried coating on and then still felt peckish so had a ton of tuna with some Mayo. All super low carb and by 9.30 I was in the 9s again. they do seem to be dropping albeit very slowly. I was in the 6s most of the afternoon yesterday. Also had about 4 hot chocolates through the day.
I don’t eat anything that is high carb. For breakfast it’s a fry up with 2 tomatoes. lunch is the carb zone tortillas with meat and leaves and tomato then dinner is meat and veg.
I don’t eat bread high carb or low carb.

when I’m working I’ll have something like sausages very late afternoon just to give me some energy for a later lesson. But now I’m now working I don’t need it so I don’t have it.
Lo-Dough coating is 7.9 g per 100 g so again is not very low carb. It has wheat fibre, which is a no-no for some here.
I presume your ton of tuna was meant to be a tin. The mayo will possibly add carbs. In a previous post you mention LC tortillas, and here you add 4 hot chocolates. Not exactly a "super Low Carb" day IMO. I think you have hidden carbs in the vegetables which you did not mention. Even a large portion of green beans will add a few grams. There are many here who find 20g carbs per DAY is all they can handle.

You are eating high protein snd seemingly low fat, so it is possible that you are getting gluconeogenesis happening, where your body is turning protein and lipids into glucose to maintain the level you had over the festive holiday, Your body thinks it is being starved and is fighting back. It should reset itself but may take a week or so to do that, Bulkbiker's suggestion of fasting is still a potential remedy worth considering to force s reset.

I find my sugars sometimes go higher than expected after a high protein meal if the portion size is large

Reactions: oldgreymare

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I always thought as long as something was under 5g that was low carb. I’m not having even close to 100g in one day so I would never reach the levels you wrote.
5g per 100g is a low carb item in and of itself.

5g of carbs of a high carb item mean little total consumption of carbs but doesn’t make the item low carb itself.

but obviously a higher % carb item if eaten in tiny quantities is probably better for bgl than a huge amount of a moderate % item.